$12 a pint!!!!!!

TonyD

Now only a week and half off our first visit home to Costa Del Oldham and looking at the exchange rate it's going to be costing the best part of $12 a pint in some of the pubs back home!! Question is how do I get the most out of transferring money back?

• I still have a UK bank account so could transfer some easy enough but no longer have a cash card as it has now expired (which I suppose I could easily sort online).
  • I could just use my Commbank ATM card in UK ATMs but someone has told me it costs a fortune?
  • Someone has mentioned getting a transfer card through Commbank but are these as flexible as a debit card is?

What was the best way any of you guys who have been back recently have got the most out of your dollar against such a strong pound? Your advice would be much appreciated.

TD

Now only a week and half off our first visit home to Costa Del Oldham and looking at the exchange rate it's going to be costing the best part of $12 a pint in some of the pubs back home!! Question is how do I get the most out of transferring money back?

• I still have a UK bank account so could transfer some easy enough but no longer have a cash card as it has now expired (which I suppose I could easily sort online).
  • I could just use my Commbank ATM card in UK ATMs but someone has told me it costs a fortune?
  • Someone has mentioned getting a transfer card through Commbank but are these as flexible as a debit card is?

What was the best way any of you guys who have been back recently have got the most out of your dollar against such a strong pound? Your advice would be much appreciated.

TD

Wow, I haven't been back to UK since 2011 so would not have a clue on prices of pints, so six quid a pint....that's insane!!

Wow, I haven't been back to UK since 2011 so would not have a clue on prices of pints, so six quid a pint....that's insane!!

Spoken to family and friends back in UK and they say average is around the 3 pound mark where the 6 pound came from i dont know lol

This seems to confirm it also http://www.pintprice.com/region.php?/United_Kingdom/GBP.htm

and aso

http://cask-marque.co.uk/cask-matters/good-pub-guide-2015-reveals-cost-average-pint/

Fwiw we kept an active UK account with cards etc. And paid some of hubbys UK earnings into it and left it there. Then top up when the rate is favourable and use it for online shopping for relatives etc. Or for trips back.

That's exactly what we did snifter, except that now, Linda's UK pension gets paid in there, so no longer need to transfer from here and not at the mercy of rates and fees

TD

Your best option I believe would be to get your UK bank and card sorted out and transfer funds from OZ to your UK bank via Vista or moneycorp or similar, also slightly better to transfer in larger amounts and less often to save on fees (if applicable). DO NOT use your Comm credit card it would be the most expensive of anything. You could get a travel card which is the same as a debit card and you can, if needed top it up over the net, but still have your comm credit card for emergencies, I have had a few problems with these travel cards and no longer use them, others think they are good.

Good luck with everything.

Spoken to family and friends back in UK and they say average is around the 3 pound mark where the 6 pound came from i dont know lol

This seems to confirm it also http://www.pintprice.com/region.php?/United_Kingdom/GBP.htm

and aso

http://cask-marque.co.uk/cask-matters/good-pub-guide-2015-reveals-cost-average-pint/

When I left 18 months ago it was £4.60 for a pint of either Guinness or Stella in my local. In Manchester it was over the £5 mark and I understand from friends it has gone up since so that was the basis of my assumption. The above link may be prices of local beers like Sam Smiths etc. Or weatherspoon prices that bring the average prices down? Or it might be the type of pubs where you stick to the carpet which I'd rather stay away from!

I will know for sure in just over a weeks time and will confirm - if you're right ill be a happy man.

When I left 18 months ago it was £4.60 for a pint of either Guinness or Stella in my local. In Manchester it was over the £5 mark and I understand from friends it has gone up since so that was the basis of my assumption. The above link may be prices of local beers like Sam Smiths etc. Or weatherspoon prices that bring the average prices down? Or it might be the type of pubs where you stick to the carpet which I'd rather stay away from!

I will know for sure in just over a weeks time and will confirm - if you're right ill be a happy man.

Down south in the town centre pubs pints were £6 a pint 4 years ago. Depends where you live and where you used to go. I could have got the same pint in the town crap hole for £3.50 but would have had to mingle with the local idiots.

I find Transferwise is easy, and competitive, for small-medium sums. The app is easy really to use too - I transferred £1000 in the pub t'other night as I saw the exchange rate was up slightly and it takes 5 mins tops. Yes you pay a fee but it's only £5 per £1,000 and you get almost exactly the mid market rate. You can also set a limit if the rate drops before the exchange goes thru & if you sign up thru Topcashback you get £10 cashback!

Its from the same guys who set up Skype & is quite interesting how it works - effectively matches up a person sending £1000 from UK to Aus with a person sending say $2,000 the other way so it cuts out the middle bank which is where the high fees are. Richard Branson has invested in them so if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me!

You also get £50 for every 3 people you refer so if anyone wants to sign up please let me know & i will send them a referral link! :-)

Please for the love of god stay away from the town centre! It's worse than it was when you left ?

The pubs on the outskirts are still lovely, and I usually pay around £4.60, but that's for cider (nice fancy fruity bottles, not strongbow lol) so not sure what a pint would be? Stella or guiness must be close to that though so not much different from when you left!

Whereabouts are you from?

I moved to chadderton from shaw when I started uni to save £££, 2 more years and I'm outta here ???