Taking money back to UK ?

waynecaz

Do you still have a UK account you could transfer it to and then spend as you normally would, debit card, withdraw cash etc? Transfer with one of the usual suspect like Moneycorp or some such? That's what we do. Left a UK joint account open, transfer money into it from time to time plus anything from the UK goes into there. And then both hubby and I have used it when we have gone back for whatever reason (he for work, me for holiday).

Or one of those pre paid cards? My in laws put some on a pre paid card type thing and used it when visiting us in the UK a few years ago. I don't know what bank they used but I found this one for Commonwealth. I'd imagine other banks here do the same. Not sure how great the rate wouldl be.

https://www.commbank.com.au/personal/travel/travel-money-card.html

I am going to the UK next year.

Most of the spend will be on credit and debit cards so likely to get slugged some fees every time I use my local cards...didn't know about the Barclay/ Westpac arrangement...thanks. Any other banks do the same?

I have a Moneycorp account but not an account in the UK to transfer it to. I may get hold of John from Moneycorp (he's on this site) and ask him what my options would be. I foresee difficulties opening a new UK account and all my old ones are dormant.

Hi All, we are going to the UK for a visit soon and was just wondering what is the best way to take our spending money with us and how to get the best rate ( as its so shocking at the mo)

Thank you

Carolyn

All banks and post office have international travel currency cards which operate as a visa card and you can load multiple currencies. That way you know exactly how much you have and you can actually re-load online. Do research as some have an ATM withdrawal fee but there are no fees for using it as a Visa card. If you have a Qantas card that now comes as a Qantas cash card and operates the same way. My son went to Spain to play soccer a few weeks back and I loaded his (ANZ) with Euros and I've just reloaded it with GBP as we too are going home for Christmas. The nice thing about the ANZ option is that they give you an extra card in case you misplace the first one. It has different codes/pins so they don't have to cancel it.