is this financially possible??

Matt796

Ok.

My partners job pays $40,000 AUD pa. I will come without a job and hopefully manage to secure one asap. We have two children (one baby and one school age). We want to rent a 2 bed apartment to start with. I'm not sure how much money we will come out with - maybe $6 - 10,000 AUD. Is it possible to get by on this for at least the first few months? The rent I've seen is around $250 pw.

I am a Police Officer and hope that I would mange to get a job in either SAPOL,Corrections or child protection etc but I know this may not be possible.

In the UK we earn around £47,000 plus per annum combined and that does offer us a comfortable lifestyle financially. Not sure if this move is financially viable???!!!

What visa will you be coming on? $40k is a pretty low salary here but if you were on a PR visa you would get child care benefit straight away. If you have savings then the fact that one of you is earning would be better than if you were both out of work but you would struggle on that long term. It certainly would not give you the same kind of lifestyle you have in the UK. If you are confident that you could get work with SAPOL then it might still be worth doing. Out of interest what does your wife do? Have you checked that the salary offered is market rate for the role?

She is a Hair Stylist and it appears to be a good market rate that the employer has offered.

it is a RSMS 187 visa which I believe is permanent visa. Yes we have some savings and I was previously successful in 2006 when WAPOL recruited from the UK but I decided not to come over then (wish I had if I'm honest ).

The salary listed is spot on for a hair stylist.

There are different rates payable depending upon whether she works in a salon with colours or whether she works for a salon that just does cutting. The rates are lower for the cutting salons.

I have a business that serves on arrival migrants but there are a few truths have need to be told:

Hair salon rates are rubbish. You will earn far more by working for yourself but it takes a little time here before you can do this and time to develop contacts. The rates are rubbish compared to retail rates payable. The hourly rate is more when you work in a hardware store. Strange fact but it's true.

$250 weekly rent is hopelessly too little. I don't know where they are renting places for $250 but I don't know of anywhere. Maybe you can provide the location of such a rental and perhaps other PIA members can comment on the areas. Rentals are in the region of $300 to $400 depending upon area and how close to the city you are.

The other fact is: Australia is an expensive place to live. You will also "bleed" money in the initial stages of your move and settling in process. There's so much that you need to buy and money just vanishes in your early days.

For the initial period, with some savings to get you through it's totally possible. Those two incomes will make all the difference to being able to live well and being able to get by.

I read in one of your other threads that you are willing to do any other job and that's great. Manufacturing is taking a hit here right now but there are other jobs and your flexibility is important...anything to bring in those Dollars in the early stages.

I hope that I haven't discouraged you! It's so important to move here with a clear picture.

I have experience of dealing with hundreds of new families since 2009. Some make it and for others it's not the right move. I moved here in 2007 and worked in a hair salon for 5 years!

All the best.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/barbie/47721-no-words-describe-adelaide.html

A read through of this recent thread may give you an idea of the northern suburbs (of which Salisbury is one) - obviously it's not all like that and people live happily up that way, however trying to find where you want to live until you've visited really isn't ideal...

I brought out 36,000 AUD. I smashed that in nearly 3 months although never had a job to come to. Money seems to disappear quick here especially on the hidden things you seem to forget when starting a new life. I wouldn't live in Salisbury but that's my opinion. Maybe down south, Seaford there's reasonable rents. My rent is 420 a week, you'll come over on a perm visa so you'll be entitled to rent assistance bringing it down to 320 a week! And to the haters who disagree with everything on here, he would be entitled to rent assistance esp on 40,000 income!!!

It is so difficult to avoid dodgy areas when you have never been here.

The whole suburb issue can be really confusing.

Example: I live in Port Noarlunga....family friendly seaside holiday suburb

There's also Noarlunga Downs....suburb with a mixture of old and newer properties about 4 km away from port Noarlunga

Old Noarlunga...character suburb along the Onkaparinga river about 10km away from Port Noarlunga

Noarlunga: shopping centre, hospital, commercial suburb...with with some recent housing about 2 to 3 km away. If you rented in this area you won't be near the beach but you may be near the police station and Bunnings!

If you take a large suburb like Salisbury there will be many surrounding suburbs...some good and some bad, like all areas.

If it's cheap...ask yourself why.

Older thread of where people started out and where they live now....

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/real-estate/43515-where-where-now.html

You can't tar all of Salisbury with the same brush - there are some extremely upmarket areas in Salisbury (Salisbury Heights for example) as well as some at the opposite extreme. There is also Salisbury park, Salisbury North, Salisbury Downs, Salisbury Plain, Salisbury South and Salisbury East.

well you might want to fill in with some security work while SAPol, Correctional Services , Family SA are shuffling the paperwork.

If you want to lay in some serious cash while waiting to get back on the beat:

(-assuming you can bear the idea of FiFo for a while)..... the mining industry still employ large numbers of Security People

and contrary to what the doom merchants will tell you: yes-the Mining Sector (fetchingly referred to as the FerNaCl'ing Mob) is still operating in Australia

JB :swoon:

I'd be cautious about the area you are looking at. Others have explained about the potential pitfalls.

If your partner has a job to come to that is at least something and you'd have an income from the off. However, it is pretty low IMHO and hopefully she could set herself up and work self employed or some such and earn more. Or find a salon paying a better rate (not sure if there are many doing that, not a clue).

Also the area you are thinking of could be a fair ways from your partners work in which case there would be commute times and probably needing a car.

I found small 2 bed units listed in Aldinga for $220pw. Aldinga is a long way out down south though and would require a car for day to day life.

And these in Woodcroft, Reynella, Reynella East and Old Reynella http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/property-unit+apartment-with-2-bedrooms-between-150-300-in-woodcroft%2c+sa+5162%3b+old+reynella%2c+sa+5161%3b+reynella%2c+sa+5161%3b+reynella+east%2c+sa+5161%3b+/list-1?maxBeds=any&source=location-search

These are not so far south but again, without a car its relying on public transport and that can take a while to get from A to B.

I even found small units in Seacliff for $275-300pw. Again, car might be needed though.

Oaklands Park turned up a few options also. The one there in Crozier Tce for example is close to the train line for connections to the city and south. Also you are close to a large supermarket and also Westfield Marion mall with just about everything in there including the cinema and bowling. And the SA Aquatic centre with the indoor pools etc. Plus bus route to Glenelg. And Warradale Primary school isn't too far away (a bike ride or bus or even walk weather permitting in 15 mins or so) and its a nice little school to get you started. And doctors, dentist and other things close to hand around there. Library. Parks. Murray Tce is even closer to the school but still within walking distance of facilities you will need in the early weeks. Though its close to the main road which isn't great noise wise.

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/property-unit+apartment-with-2-bedrooms-between-150-300-in-oaklands+park%2c+sa+5046%3b+/list-1?maxBeds=any&source=location-search

If you go up a bit price wise Somerton Park has some listed. Nice area, lots of single storey units around, often with small back yards.

This one for example looks neat and tidy. Its also closer to the beaches. School wise you'd have options also. Not sure about being without a car around there though but plenty of buses and then they'd connect with tram or train somewhere too. Its in the zone for Paringa Park primary too which is, IMHO a lovely school.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-sa-somerton+park-417752514

Other ones available.

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/property-unit+apartment-with-2-bedrooms-between-150-300-in-somerton+park%2c+sa+5044%3b+/list-1?maxBeds=any&source=location-search

Even as a temp measure these areas would possibly be more appealing to you. I personally don't mind Woodcroft and Reynella way but would not live in those suburbs based on school options. But that is my own personal preference and many do live in those areas and are happy with the schooling. Oaklands Park near the train line has quite a lot of apartments and so on and lots of new builds going up. The train station there makes it appealing for lots of unit renters.

I'd expand your locations a bit as there are properties out there for a cheap price but chances are they won't be great and will be on the small side. However, if its just as a temp thing you could be fine.

You won't have much money to begin with but if you can find work and can live on a tight budget to get you going you could manage it. I do have to question though if you both have decent (and reasonably well paying) jobs in the UK and are happy living there, given your savings are not that much and you are looking to do this on the cheap, are you really really certain you want to migrate? It can be tough migrating at the best of times, more so if work is struggle to find and funds are low. If you want to, so long as you have your eyes wide open to it all and don't mind a small unit to start off and so on, then you can but give it a go.

I doubt you'd be able to afford a car for a while so ensuring you live somewhere within walking distance of facilities and public transport would be a key thing. You could pick up a second hand bike with ease to peddle around on and make shopping etc a bit easier. I'm sure also you could find some furniture on the cheap or being given away etc to get you started too.

Keep in mind expenses like school fees and uniform. School fees here can vary from a couple of hundred $$ a year to 4-500 at state primary level. Everyone pays them and there is a standard amount but schools can and do charge more (our school charges $400 or so, has lots of facilities etc so we kind of expect it to be higher). Unlike in England where council tax or some such covers school costs, here you pay out of your pocket per child. Plus uniform in quite a lot of schools can't just be bought in the local cheap superstore. Some schools you can get away with a generic yellow or blue polo (we did at our first primary here) but often they have mixed colours and you buy via the school for the tops and sweaters etc. Shorts or skirts can be bog standard from KMart or some place though. Our school tops here cost about $33 new. I buy them second hand quite often. And shorts from Target usually.

ETA - If I had to choose from any of the areas I've mentioned here I'd personally focus on Somerton Park (for the Paringa school zone but they will require a years lease as proof iirc) and then Oaklands Park (for ease of access to the CBD and all the other facilities and being without a car potentially). Also some primary school options are around there but you'd have to research those for yourself and the areas they tend to have kids coming from. Of course, there are loads more areas I've not mentioned and chances are you could find public transport routes, schools etc in those too :)

Edited by snifter
eta

well you might want to fill in with some security work while SAPol, Correctional Services , Family SA are shuffling the paperwork.

If you want to lay in some serious cash while waiting to get back on the beat:

(-assuming you can bear the idea of FiFo for a while)..... the mining industry still employ large numbers of Security People

and contrary to what the doom merchants will tell you: yes-the Mining Sector (fetchingly referred to as the FerNaCl'ing Mob) is still operating in Australia

JB :swoon:

Security work Mat would need to do a course to get his security licenses - Mat I haven't forgotten am still trying to get in touch with some contacts

Ok.

My partners job pays $40,000 AUD pa. I will come without a job and hopefully manage to secure one asap. We have two children (one baby and one school age). We want to rent a 2 bed apartment to start with. I'm not sure how much money we will come out with - maybe $6 - 10,000 AUD. Is it possible to get by on this for at least the first few months? The rent I've seen is around $250 pw.

I am a Police Officer and hope that I would mange to get a job in either SAPOL,Corrections or child protection etc but I know this may not be possible.

In the UK we earn around £47,000 plus per annum combined and that does offer us a comfortable lifestyle financially. Not sure if this move is financially viable???!!!

Matt I don't think you have said what area your wife will work that would help in your decision of where to rent etc

Once established you can look at other options

look on cbs.gov.au trawl through and get it security licenses etc

I was licensed ( many years ago but ) and my employer trained me ,now it needs to be a course at ?

But if you get a foot on the ladder and I good name in the industry it helps

Do have a good CV references both work and personal etc - even if you presented to the major stores in the city suited and booted you might and it is just a might be in the right place at the right time for a retail job

i know the current climate in Adelaide is tough now but sometimes to this day it's right place right time

The wife's job is in the CBD - Rundle Mall.

I would be happy to do FIFO work if I can find it. At the moment she is keen to go but I am reluctant to give up the wage etc I have here if I'm honest.

Completely understandable it's a huge step to take but I am sure you will both work on it

This is a very brief summary of what I have done in the UK Police:-

I am a Police Officer in the UK and have been for over 14 years.*

I have worked in a variety of roles, including 10 years as a uniformed Police Officer. I have also served on an Investigation Unit and have completed Investigative Interviewing for Serious and Complex Crime training, been seconded to a Youth Offending Team (Ministry of Justice), Field Intelligence Officer working with the Probation Service, HM Prison Service, Drug & Alcohol services and also local government's Troubled Families Scheme.

I spent 7 years as a Neighbourhood Beat Manager and in this time worked closely with Housing Officers and Environmental Health issues relating to incidents from noise complaints to fly tipping and other anti social behaviour issues. I also dealt with Landlord / Tenant disputes and also jointly with the local Housing Officer obtained the first 'Crack House' closure notice in the county.

I have dealt with a variety of offences, including child abuse, domestic abuse and hate crimes. I have also presented these cases at both Magistrate and Crown Court and been part of Multi Agency Risk Meetings, which I have also chaired in the absence of senior Police Management.

My current Police role is on a Special Branch unit part of a regional Counter Terrorism Intelligence Unit.*

I have spoken to securit firms in Oz and their stock answer is you have Police experience but not securit experience so I am very apprehensive about the move in terms of employment for me.

True and you would probably end up starting as a security guard or similar but if you did get a start it's an income albeit a basic income

The major retailers have their own security officers being licensed means they are difficult to replace if they are off on holiday or sick etc so the retailers hire external guards If you could get he license under your belt ( not sure how much the course costs ) then it's a positive maybe towards finding work

Typical Adelaide mentality instead of utilising someone with comprehensive experience as a cop. They then come up with the usual rhetoric "NO experience" what doing security work? I'd say that's a few notches down from the experience a cop has got!

like everything else it's being in the right place at the right time probably a face to face interview would be totally different It's so difficult for Matt when he is here not there so to speak as he is an unknown entity there

having said that it's a hard decision for Matt when he is obviously well skilled and knows he is going to have to start at the bottom of the ladder again

Matt I got this information from my friend who works in security have taken some names out because of privacey

working in a Control room at the ( mental health facility ) on Level 4 which is just over $20 an hour but I work night shifts 20% loading and time and a half Saturdays and double Sundays

Im also doing event security which is a flat rate of $28 an hour anytime.

course 4 or $500 to do a 3 day course.

The pay scale is not fantastic at all but it's a start if you do emigrate

That's fine. I'm not too bothered what I do, I just want to work. I could do the course and then hopefully someone would be willing to give me a chance!

I started as a security officer retail ie store detective in old language Eventualy became Loss Prevention Manager for the same buisness which was Coles Myer They have since diversified but retail security does have their own security Guard work well major shopping centres Westfield etc have their own security To me anything is better than nothing but the final decision on if you do or do not emirate has to be yours