The average livable wage?

Guest thebaddeleys

Guest thebaddeleys

Hi everyone,

I'd really like some help figuring this out , my husband has been offered a job (457 visa) with a basic wage of $54k and then $13k for a car allowance , this is much less than he gets in the UK (£40k GBP basic and £8k car allowance) yet everyone on here says the cost of living etc is the same roughly as the UK and this is worrying me alot!

Is the above wage realistic to be able to live on (i won't work as have 2 small children), or is the company trying to get him for very poor package?

They also aren't helping pay any relocation costs , is that normal?

Please reply as i'm very worried , thanks:unsure:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lulujim

hi - i am very interested in this too - thought i'd reply to keep you up at the top!! we are in very similar position. i won't be working either because of the children's ages and won't have any help with benefits, grants etc (i'm not bitter - haha) so it'd be great if people in Aus would be so candid and suggest wages that are liveable on! (I know this is very individual but any help would be great!)

Guest sarahsmartiepants

It would depend on how you live, we have 2 teenagers and a mortgage and get by on less than this....just...sometimes we dip into savings

sarah

Hi there, we are on a similar income but don't have the car allowance, we are temp residents, so no help for us either.

We rent (which is cheaper than a mortgage and everything gets fixed for us/water charges & rates are included in the rent too.

Our weekly shopping is varied but ranges from $170 to $240 per week (family of 4).

We have used quite a bit of our savings to top up the income, but hope that when I finally get recognised on the work front and get more customers then we will top up the savings again and live.

It is difficult in the beginning, we have been here 4 months and still trying to find our feet with regards to shopping and best places to go etc. We haven't done too badly, but know there is still room for improvement.

The financial position we are in at the moment, I believe will be short lived as soon as we get to grips with it all.

It just all depends on area you move to with regards to price of housing/rent etc, your food bill, your play time, bills etc......

We are surviving and loving it.

It's pretty much the same as in the UK, when you have money you can't spend it fast enough, but when things are a bit tight, you make do and get by......and still come out the other end.

Good luck only you can do it, it's your money and budget x

Guest chippie74
Hi everyone,

I'd really like some help figuring this out , my husband has been offered a job (457 visa) with a basic wage of $54k and then $13k for a car allowance , this is much less than he gets in the UK (£40k GBP basic and £8k car allowance) yet everyone on here says the cost of living etc is the same roughly as the UK and this is worrying me alot!

Is the above wage realistic to be able to live on (i won't work as have 2 small children), or is the company trying to get him for very poor package?

They also aren't helping pay any relocation costs , is that normal?

Please reply as i'm very worried , thanks:unsure:

We find we are paying alot more here in adelaide to live/get by than we did in the uk.theres just leanne and myself luckily no kids. Hats off to familys here!!.But there no way i would change anything,for what we have here

My Oh is on a similar wage (minus the car allowance) to the one you have been offered and we have had to budget very hard to survive without depleting our savings more than we have to. Just before we left we went down to one income in the UK of a similar amount and we would never have sustained that for very long as costs such as council tax etc were more than here and as someone said when you rent a number of things are included, such as maintenance.

Things that seem expensive so far are utility bills, but other things can catch you out too e.g. school uniform which you could buy from Tesco in the UK is a bit pricier here.

It makes it quite hard to settle initially when you are watching the pennies so much that you can't take part in all the things you might want to. But that's just what's involved in doing it on the temp visa route.

I am just starting some part time work and it will really help, as I can do it in school hours, so the pressure is really lifting for us.

Guest guest569

I think thats an above average wage offer so their not trying it on. Its about the same as me but i don't get the car allowance only in my tax return as i'm a sub contractor. I wouldn't want to work a 40 hour week for that although i know alot of subbies that work for alot less.:(.

I think as a sole income you might struggle but that would all depend on your own personal finances and situation.( e.g no need for mortgage and cash to buy car outright you'll be ok then ).

Hope this helps. just my own personal opinion of course.:wubclub:

Guest thebaddeleys

thanks so much for all the replies!

Its a shame as so many people seem to be moving with at least some savings and we have zero so i'm even more worried now as if we can't live on this wage what will do - there will be no savings to just dip into!:(

thanks

thanks so much for all the replies!

Its a shame as so many people seem to be moving with at least some savings and we have zero so i'm even more worried now as if we can't live on this wage what will do - there will be no savings to just dip into!:(

thanks

I'm sure you'll be fine, just budget wisely to help keep costs to a minimum.

Good luck x

When we came here we had 2 small children, I didn't work, hubby got work after a while. We did have some savings equating to $10000, which set us up with mattresses, sofas , cheap 2nd hand car, washing machine and bond for the 2 br unit we rented. We lived within our means, yes there were no real luxuries and it took a while to slowly accumulate things. I went back to uni after a couple of years and studied nursing and then we had 2 incomes.....and another kid! Look it is possible and you can see it as part of your pioneering, adventure or whatever, it wont last for ever, but having to go back to that level of living is something some people cant or wont do.

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Just wondering is their drastic differences in cost of living to where you live in Oz as a few people i know that live in Perth say the cost of living is much cheaper and the wages are better. Fair play their hubbies do work in the mines but they say the rental market for what you get is cheaper.

They say they couldn't afford to move back to the UK now and they have told me how much they pay in rent and bills and it does seem cheap. However when i have compared to Adelaide, Adelaide does appear to be more expensive and i have noticed a majority of you saying you are either no better of, on a par or struggling. My friends over in Perth, and their friends even those who have "normal" salaries all seem to be saying the opposite.

Is this financial struggle only short term untill you get PR or are some of you PR and still struggling? Can anyone shed any light on this as i think from what i can gather many people on this site making the move or in the process of are under the impression that they are going to be better of financially. Obviously this is not the only reason for the move better quality of life etc but if your skint and struggling it's not really a better quality of life. Sorry to be so depressing but i think that is the reason for most people making the huge leap.:v_SPIN: Correct me if i'm wrong but i know i'm sick of working long hrs for not a huge amount and Tom works long hours even though he is on a decent salary we are hoping that he is not going to have to work as many hrs. After reading all the threads on here i'm not so sure:unsure:

Any info greatly appreciated Jo:notworthy:

I think it's just dependent on the type of lifestyle that you lead here and the change in financial circumstances. We are not extravagent with money, but are struggling financially at the moment. But in the UK we still had bills, mortgage etc to pay so it's no different here. The real difference is both my husband and I worked full time, didn't have to pay childcare and got family allowance and tax credit help. The year leading up to moving here we were happy to stay at home with a bottle of wine and a movie, instead of going out as we were trying to keep as much money as we could to help pay for our final move to Adelaide.

Whereas now, we have one income, no family allowance, no tax credit, can't afford to put kids into childcare to enable myself to work full time and are out doing sports most evenings (although the latter doesn't have a huge financial impact, it's the extra petrol going to these things that plays a part).

I am seeing this as short lived on three counts, until I can start bringing a regular income into the household, until we get PR and get a little more help after we have proved our worth and also we have got the budgeting fiasco under control.

We all knew the shops to go to when things were a bit tight in the UK, but I have yet to find that here. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or I may have found them already, not too sure yet. But you get by, you make a point of it.

We don't go to the movies, bowling etc but we go for walks and bike rides. Take the kids on picnics etc. The family time here is cheaper than the UK because you don't have to spend heaps of money for the kids to enjoy themselves due to the weather being better. They love nothing more than going out into the fresh air and having a giggle trying to watch their parents play Aussie Rules.

Don't fret too much guys.....yes you need to be aware of the financial situation, but we struggled sometimes in the UK and are struggling a bit here (temporarily), but my choice would come down to here. If I'm going to struggle there's no place I'd rather do it in!!!!

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Ye not worrying to much, ahhhh! :arghh: only joking

Me and Tom doing the same, saving as much as poss so we have a good bit of dosh behind us, staying in and drinking the vino :jiggy:we don't have any little ones so makes it a bit easier just hope we can both find work and settle quickly. Thats if we get in fingers crossed x

Thanks for the feedback

Jo

Hi Cornelia

I enjoyed reading your post. It made a lot of sense. Obviously you adopt a very level headed approach to everything. You accept that it is not always rosy in the garden but instead emphasise the positive sides to living in Oz. People put down as wanting a better quality of life as one of the primary reasons to move, then complain about the price of a loaf of bread etc. I thought the quality of life was not about the shopping etc but about the better quality of outdoor life and the chance for families to have fun in the sunshine rather than get ripped off at the pictures on a wet Saturday afternoon.

I understand that everybody has concerns including ourselves. We are applying for the 475 temp visa and are looking at the Hallett Cove area as a possible place of residence.

Bye for now

Alison x

Skills Assessed: 3.4.08

Skills approved: 19.5.08

SA Government Sponsorship sent: 16.6.08

Hi Cornelia

I enjoyed reading your post. It made a lot of sense. Obviously you adopt a very level headed approach to everything. You accept that it is not always rosy in the garden but instead emphasise the positive sides to living in Oz. People put down as wanting a better quality of life as one of the primary reasons to move, then complain about the price of a loaf of bread etc. I thought the quality of life was not about the shopping etc but about the better quality of outdoor life and the chance for families to have fun in the sunshine rather than get ripped off at the pictures on a wet Saturday afternoon.

I understand that everybody has concerns including ourselves. We are applying for the 475 temp visa and are looking at the Hallett Cove area as a possible place of residence.

Bye for now

Alison x

Skills Assessed: 3.4.08

Skills approved: 19.5.08

SA Government Sponsorship sent: 16.6.08

Thanks Alison,

I appreciate your comments. There are so many reasons for leaving the UK and trying out a new country.

Yes it's going to be scary, yes there are going to be things that are dearer and cheaper, but you just have to adapt and get on with it. We have all probably had situations where we were financially unstable, it wasn't a nice feeling, but we survived.

Just because you move to another country doesn't mean to say that this can't happen again, but you do cope and live with the mindset that it's not forever. At least here if you are skint you can still enjoy what Australia has to offer, beaches, walks, sports, parks (not covered in broken glass or nasty deposits from our four legged friends), bike rides.

I personally think it's worth it.

But I can see how upsetting it is for some too, with either being in a financially straining situation or the prospect of going into one. Good luck to all, I wish you every success in your new journey and I hope you survive and laugh about this at some point!

Guest Ellie

Lets all throw caution to the wind and just go for the weather :biglaugh: Lets face it we all feel much better in ourselves and our outlook to life is different. If you feel good in yourself I think you can take so much more head on and see a positive even though things may be negative. I have no idea what we will go out with as it just getting harder here. On a flippin' sunny day I can take the world on so watch out Adelaide LOL! Yes we have the bills the mortgage and high fuel prices but when it is contantly raining and dull and gloomy how extra yuckie do we feel? Even if we get excited cus we can have a barbie the wind picks up and blows it off your plate! Lots of happy dogs with nice full bellies. It's a medical fact (I know I have read it somewhere!) that when in warmer countries people with Arthritus and joint pain and other health problems have less symptoms. If it doesn't the wine is fab so you wouldn't care after a while. :P

On a serious note, I do worry about it. It is a huge move and we all want the security of knowing we are doing the right thing. Haven't heard of many going and wanting to come back though.

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi Alison,

The reasons you both state are more than enough to convince us they are the main reasons we are going just to name a few. Tom lived over there for a year in Sydney and travelled visiting Adelaide along the way and fell in love with the place and the people, he has had itchy feet ever since.

I however just want to know everything as i have never been so it's all new to me. Tom is more laid back where as i like all the info pro's and con's.

In the next 12 months i will probably drive you all mad with all my questions:arghh:

Good luck Alison keep us informed

Jo and Tom

Guest Deb17

Just had to stick my oar in again, since I've been here a lot longer than Cornelia and she seems generally a more positive, cheerful soul anyway!

My hubby is still supporting the four of us on a lot less than $50,000pa which is why we can't afford a mortgage and have to pay out half his weekly wage on rent. Struggling along with older kids isn't much fun. Yes, the outdoor lifestyle is cheap if your wee ones are happy to potter about on the beach and as for drinking wine to forget your troubles - well you do have to afford the wine first! (Personally I'd go for a box - it works out cheaper by the glass!)

I don't think it's a case of people not wanting to go back to the UK if they arrive here to find they can't afford to live comfortably in Adelaide - I think it's just coming out here and depleting whatever savings they have means they can't afford to go back either, which is why they end up having no CHOICE but to stay and make the best of a bad lot.

It is definitely more expensive to live out here because there's less choice for consumers - back home if I couldn't afford Tesco prices I could go to Aldi instead! We had two incomes back home and although we struggled at times we were better off there than we are here, whatever anyone says, but now we're here we're biting the bullet, digging in etc and all the other cliches. The savings are nearly gone so there's no other way around it. If I was ten years younger and didn't have kids I could guiltlessly encourage everyone to come out here and try it but in all honesty I can't advise people to take such a big risk with their futures when they might end up so much worse off.

Still, at least I've got my health! (just!)

Guest Tina P

Hi,

We have been in Adeladie for 1 yr on the 4th July and yes the last 12 months have been a struggle, the tears, upset and regret I have had, is terrible. We are on the SIR visa.

I worked after arriving, from week 6 - I cleaned a childcare centre for 2hrs every evening for the first 6 months, something I would never consider doing in the uk because I did not have to, I now work in a cinema in the city 3 evenings per week. My husband does not do the job he did in the uk.

Yes younger kids are cheaper to keep and easier to make happy but with older kids it must be easier to find work, they can look after themselves after school ?

I have 1 daughter at school and the other at home full time.

It all depends on what you are willing to do, me, I could not leave everthing on Ian's 'toes' and hated when we had to dip into savings to live. My tiny wage does help and I share the burden.

No offence girls but if you want to help out and struggling to find work there is always domestic cleaning, shop work or aged care.

Also the 'sun' does not fill the fridge or pay the rent, gas, electric or telco bill.

And its cold at the moment.

We just say that it can only get better for us, I don't love Adeladie but I don't hate it either. Would we have come if we had know how hard it would be - yes we would, how could we not ?

Yes we are so much worse off than in the uk but are sure it will get better.

Tina