Transferring money back to the UK.

Lazy Cow

Hi,

I need to pick your brains! :notworthy:

After recklessly using my visa card I have finally drained the birthday/Christmas account left open in the UK :swoon:.

What would be the best (ie. cheapest lol) way to put some money back into my Abbey account? I tried PayPal, but that doesn't seem to be an option, and rather than contact my bank here (which would take more effort than posting this), I thought I'd ask you clever bunch!

Thank you...

Yours broke-but-smarmy,

LC

Try Tranzfers http://www.tranzfers.com/index.html

Good for sending small amounts, easy to register etc we used it from the UK to pay small amounts into our new bank accounts. It is part of OzForex so is reputable.

Lea:wubclub:

Actually if you want I will refer you, PM me your email address and I will get points apparently (just read that on the website!) I would recommend them anyway.

Guest Tina

i am currently looking into this myself so i can pay uk direct debits etc. and this is what i will be doing.

when family send me cheques in British pound for birthdays etc, i just post them back to the nationwide who deposits them for me at no cost, the last time i did it anyway. i have a few more to send know and will be doing the same this time.

But to transfer a bit more to cover the years dd's i spoke to ANZ who said if i do internet banking and have pay anyone as an option then i can go to the international service option and register and then 24hrs later i can apparently just transfer up to my maximum daily limit. this is at a cost of $24 per transaction. Alternatively i can go into the branch and they will transfer this for me at a cost of $32. the only thing i need will be sort code, acc no. & IBAN no. so will need to call the nationwide later to get this IBAN no.

hopefully this helps.

Thank you all so much!:notworthy:

I've been sending cheques back to the UK like you Tina, and it works beautifully - my theory being that I send fewer birthday/Christmas cheques than the children receive so I will remain in credit. Until the lure of using Visa overcame weak old me - tickets for the kids (1 adult size) to see WWE recently and it all went wrong! $24 is still a fair chunk - see how mean I am?!- but it's good to see a figure, thank you.

Alex, Abbey are great in as much as they've let us continue banking with them and send me monthly statements, but I could only send cheques in $...would Abbey be able to convert them and might it cost more money than an alternative method?

For now I think I'll pm Lea and go with Tranzfers.com as it appears you only pay $15 and I can't see it getting much cheaper than that?

Thank you all so very much. I really appreciate your time and advice.

:wubclub:Caroline.