How much do we need

Guest caoimhe

Guest caoimhe

As we are having problems like many others in selling our house I am wondering how much we could afford to drop the price too and still have some money to take with us.I have read a few posts that once you arrive in Adelaide you seem to through a lot of money quickly so I was wondering what costs to anticiapte.

I can find out rental costs and know how much to budget for that but I thought those of you already out there could give us any ideas of costs we may encounter ie new driving license. Any ideas welcome

Guest Rob and Clare
As we are having problems like many others in selling our house I am wondering how much we could afford to drop the price too and still have some money to take with us.I have read a few posts that once you arrive in Adelaide you seem to through a lot of money quickly so I was wondering what costs to anticiapte.

I can find out rental costs and know how much to budget for that but I thought those of you already out there could give us any ideas of costs we may encounter ie new driving license. Any ideas welcome

That's a big question and really depends on what you hope to achieve....

Although we bought most of our belongings with us as soon as we arrived we had to buy certain things :

Driving License - i think approx 250 for 10 years, but we also had to pass a test

Second hand car - $10,000 for anything half decent, although if your mechanical you can get cheaper.

Fridge freezer - $1000 for something quite basic..

washing machine - $500 again for a basic LG model

set top box - $100

lawn mower - $100 for a hand held push mower

rotary washing line - $200

bond on a rental - 4 weeks - $1,600

rewiring plugs - $200 your insurance is null and void if you do it yourself.

house insurance - $250

car insuarance - $500

rego - $500

1st big shop - $500....

each week your not working - * $700 (rent, petrol, food, going out etc....)

plus lot's of other costs of little things we didn't bring or just needed....

but everyone will have a different experience....

Good luck...

Guest caoimhe

I know everyone's needs are different but it just to get a rough idea.

The driving license seems a bit pricy but a least I have an idea of what it will cost for both of us to get them

Thanks

Guest graandjac

:)Re the driving license you can get it cheeper for a less time scale, but the above list is pretty good, I know people who came with a wadge of cash to a lot of people look like it will be a whole lot easer .........but there are people out here who came with very little and are now making a bloody good go of things and enjoying every moment of their new adventure. For those who are loosing money on their house sale its not all doom and gloom, it might be a little harder but its still their or should i say here to be had, after all when we all set out on this adventure money was not top of the list ....?????. cheers Graham

Guest caoimhe
:)Re the driving license you can get it cheeper for a less time scale, but the above list is pretty good, I know people who came with a wadge of cash to a lot of people look like it will be a whole lot easer .........but there are people out here who came with very little and are now making a bloody good go of things and enjoying every moment of their new adventure. For those who are loosing money on their house sale its not all doom and gloom, it might be a little harder but its still their or should i say here to be had, after all when we all set out on this adventure money was not top of the list ....?????. cheers Graham

My house is the cheapest by 15,000 on the market in the area, I would be happy if someone gave me some sort of offer but alas not. We have only had 2 viewers in 2 months, 1 of which has a house to sell and no takers. It is very depressing as we really want to start our new life. I have priced flights today if we need to make that trip to validate and it will cost 7grand for the six of us--just for the flights:arghh: so I am prepared to drop the house further if it got us there quicker. We are prepared to struggle when we get there as you say money was never our reason for wanting to go but until this blasted house sells it's the thing that's stopping us from getting there.

That's why I want to be able to do a rough budget so I can work out how much more we can drop the house to and get the hell out of here

Guest graandjac

:unsure:I know where you are coming from Jacqui, i was just trying to put a positive spin on the doom and gloom in the uk market at the moment. Hoping things work themselves out for you very soon , chin up guys:wubclub:. cheers Graham

Guest graandjac

:)Depending on when your container turns up, you might need to buy the small electrical things, like kettle and toaster and cuttlery the odd pan. There is a great shop in Renella Shopping center......The wharehouse i think everything you could think of and the prices are cheap as chips, just to get you by with out spending to much.

Cheers Graham

Hi Jacqui and Stephen, Rob and Clare's list is pretty comprehensive to be honest. My best advice is to bring EVERYTHING except your tv's, unless you buy a set top box they probably won't work here. Besides which it's the law to buy a big plasma telly when you arrive, you'll probably be deported if you don't! It's compulsory to purchase a big bbq as well! When I say bring everything, I mean everything. Cutlery, vases, pictures, bedding - the lot. It's the little things that mount up, you end up spending a fortune on stuff that you didn't think it was important to bring. You'll probably be having a container to yourself so you might as well fill it up as much as possible! :)

Guest caoimhe

We have a 42in Plasma here and even though we have a queue of family members who think we are donating it when we go Stephen says he is only going if he takes it with him and as I can only go with him (unfortunately;)) it both or nothing.

Do you think it's worth taking kitchen items like cutlery/plates/pots/pans etc as I thought we would have to buy stuff when we get there anyway while waiting on the container

We brought everything right down to a bottle opener, picnic blankets and even our laundry basket.

Thing is you still have to buy a few essentials to tide you over. Also with the layout of houses being different you will end up needing more furniture.

I would advise putting aside about $30,000 to start over, that includes 1st car, rental bond, furniture and electricals.

Hope that helps.

Guest Django

Our plates, pots and pans have had it anyway so we will dump them and buy new on arrival. We will take enough cutlery and a few another bits and bobs with us in our luggage so we won'y have to buy much at all while we wait for a container. Hot water for drinks can be boiled in a saucepan and bread can be toasted under a grill so no need to buy a spare toaster or kettle. Other things I'm sure you can do without for a few weeks. Those used to camping will have loads of tips to save buying stuff you already have in your container.

We will be going out with about £10,000 which we feel is enough to see us through until the first couple of wage packets come in.

Pete

if it is good quality pack it and has a few years life in it pack it...you can always sell it later. When you get here you can just buy some cheap stuff or visit a thrift shop for pans etc. to make do until your stuff arrives. It is all the little things tnhat you end up rebuying that eat into your savings.

I think most has been said already, it is best to bring as much as you can in the container, it certainly saves a lot of money in the first place. Just allow enough time for when the container arrives at your house. Ours was a month after the date quoted in the uk! Camp beds are ok for a short while but glad to get the beds!! The list of costs of things seems spot on. If you are lucky enough to find / start work here quickly it certainly helps but dont bank on it. The start here is hard but worth it

Guest rockpool crab

rego - $500

Hiya..just wondering what rego is? is it road tax for car? The list you gave was brilliant..have printed it off..it's in my "folder" :wubclub:

Cheers

Carol Ann

Guest Jim Scott

I'd recommending bringing any TV's. Some of them work fine. The usual "problem" with them is that they won't tune in the TV channels. However, in many cases you can connect up a video recorder and use that as the tuner. Or, buy a cheap digital tuner <$80 and that should work too.

Guest Guzzler&Sas
rego is car registration that includes 3rd party insurance as well as road tax.

Hi,

When you pay your Registration the third party element is bodily insurance and does not cover any vehicle in an accident http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/regis..._insurance.asp, it would be advisable to take at least third party insurance for your vehicle should you be responsible for an accident and avoid a potential big bill,

Guzzler