Health insurance costs

Guest familygood

Guest familygood

Hi

We are looking into costs when we get there (hopefully!) and wanted to know if anyone gong on 475 visa knows the cost of private health insurance and what cover is needed? Where did people go to get quotes?

Thanks

• 4 months later...
Guest familygood

I have since looked into this and I think we will just get ambulance cover. Medicare covers 'all medically necessary treatment' which is basically everything except dental etc. Even having a baby is covered (though probably wont apply to you!!) Well done on the visa by the way. That was quick! I thought we had one of the quickest turn arounds. Got our meds tomorrow...

Guest andrew_obrien
I have since looked into this and I think we will just get ambulance cover. Medicare covers 'all medically necessary treatment' which is basically everything except dental etc. Even having a baby is covered (though probably wont apply to you!!) Well done on the visa by the way. That was quick! I thought we had one of the quickest turn arounds. Got our meds tomorrow...

Cheers for the advice. I thought medicare was only for 175/PR not 475 will check thanks.

Yeah i could not belive how fast my C/O worked glad i applied after 1st jan 2009

Guest familygood

Yeah me too. Missed out on that horrible long wait people were having last year.. We went over to Aus for 6 months a few years back and we got medicare cover then and I used it for the doctors etc and it worked fine. I know it does cover anyone visiting Oz from UK.

I've just enquired at Mutual Community, depending on the type of cover you select will depend on the premium, but there are 2 that I looked at & the weekly premium was $10 or $15.50, the latter being the silver more premium cover. As long as you have a Medicare card you qualify.

If you hold a subclass 495 or 475 visa check that you can access the full range of private healthcare that is available to permanent residents and citizens ... I have a recollection there may be limitations.

It will probably be a function of whether you can access full Medicare.

Note that in the absence of an entitlement to enrol in Medicare you can probably access cover under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between the UK and Australia.

I would also contact Medicare Eligibility for further details.

Best regards.

Guest covfan71
Cheers for the advice. I thought medicare was only for 175/PR not 475 will check thanks.

Yeah i could not belive how fast my C/O worked glad i applied after 1st jan 2009

Hi, on a different note, looking at your signature block are you seriously saying you had a Visa granted in less than 1 month

Hi, you can get medicare if you are a UK resident, we just did ours on Friday, you don't have the same benefits as the Australians, but it's similar. There is a good post here by Alan if you do a search on the forum for Medicare.

Do mention that the UK has a reciprocal agreement with Australia, because when we went there they said we weren't entitled to it. But after we mention it, they did our card.