I need a bank account

Guest covfan71

Guest covfan71

Hi guys,

it's 20 months away until we move out to Oz but i need aome tips on what or who to open an account with. Ideally i would like to be able to have a UK account that between now and when i move i can transfer money into my Oz account. In fact even after i move i will still have a monthly income from a UK pension that will probably need to be placed in a UK acount and then transferred to an OZ one. Will HSBC be able top do this for me?

Guest Carkyde

Hi I have a Nationwide account, you can use your debit and credit cared without being charged, most other banks charge about 5% for every time you use it. We transferred our savings into Commonwealth Bank recently when exchange rate was good. I think you can only leave it in Commonwealth for max 2 years if you are still in UK, but check out their migrant bank info on their website.

We intend to keep Nationwide account open so if anyone needs to send us money (hardly likely lol) then we can put in Nationwide and use hole in wall in Oz.

Hope this helps a little. C

Hi there, we opened a bank account with the Commonwealth Bank in London about 2months ago and put our savings in there whilst the rate was good. You can use this account to transfer funds between now and when you go, it is also your choice when to convert to dollars, ie when the rate is worthwhile.

Once you get to Adelaide you activate your account and get all your cards etc...

If you want to PM me Ill pass over the phone numbers etc,,,,

Guest covfan71
Hi there, we opened a bank account with the Commonwealth Bank in London about 2months ago and put our savings in there whilst the rate was good. You can use this account to transfer funds between now and when you go, it is also your choice when to convert to dollars, ie when the rate is worthwhile.

Once you get to Adelaide you activate your account and get all your cards etc...

If you want to PM me Ill pass over the phone numbers etc,,,,

so i take it there are branches of the Commonwealth bank in Adelaide and i will just activate it when i get there?

Guest Aussie pat

We've used the Commonwealth Bank as well. Morag Hamill the new arrivals officer is great and has reduced our stress levels a lot. She looks after migrants before and after they arrive. It's really helpful having a named person you can contact. She migrated from Scotland 3 years ago herself and knows what an anxious time it can be.

My husband has a private pension and they will only pay out into a UK bank account so we've been forced to leave one UK account open. So it may pay to check if you haven't already.

Goodluck with the move.

Hedy

so i take it there are branches of the Commonwealth bank in Adelaide and i will just activate it when i get there?

Yes, once you open it in London you get a letter with a contact name in Adelaide. We just need to arrange a meeting with her when we arrive and activate our account there and then.

It has all been pretty easy so far and apparently they are a good bank to be with.

We used opened our Wespac account online.

You can deposit cash using online banking, very simple.

To withdraw cash, you have to present yourself at a Westpac branch and do a 100poin ID check. This can be done in London if you wish, however, we just waited until we arrived.

If you have a written job offer, they can also issue you with a credit card immediatley.

http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/publish.nsf/Content/PBIT+Migrant+banking

We use HiFX for money transfer, as we got a better rate and fewer charges than using HSBC.

Cheers

Si