Family Assistance?

Guest ReadyPenny

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Guys

Can someone please tell me if this is the same as child benefit in the UK? Is everyone entitled to it or is it means tested?

I have looked on line at centrelink.com.au but it's not very clear who can claim what and what the thresholds are, unless I missed it!!!

cheers

Mandy

Guest sarahsmartiepants

If you are on permanent visas you can claim rent assistance and family assistance, if you earn below a certain amount, sorry not sure what that amount is. But I do know if you are on temp visa you cant get any help.

sarah

Guest philnjulie
Hello, we have a permanent visa and sorted our family assistance a while ago, they work it out by how much u (person 1) and ur partner (person 2) earns a year, then do the calculations and give u x amount, never asked us what savings we had so don't think there taken into account.

hi, savings arent taken into account but the interest you earn off them is make sure you account for this in your earnings as you may owe money back to centrelink on the day of reconing phil

• 1 month later...
Guest Farrows

I am highjacking thread sorry we have just had our visa granted and i am trying to get my brain in gear - believe me for me that is quite a task!!

We are coming over on a skilled 175 which i assume is a permanent residence visa so am I right in thinking that we are eligible for family assistance? Sorry to sound silly but my head is whirling at mo. Thanks

Becki, Simon, Alfie, Charlie visa granted 5th jan!!!!

I am highjacking thread sorry we have just had our visa granted and i am trying to get my brain in gear - believe me for me that is quite a task!!

We are coming over on a skilled 175 which i assume is a permanent residence visa so am I right in thinking that we are eligible for family assistance? Sorry to sound silly but my head is whirling at mo. Thanks

Becki, Simon, Alfie, Charlie visa granted 5th jan!!!!

depending on your earning you will qualify for the following on pr visa..

Family assistance

Rent assistance

Childcare assistance

Childcare tax rebate

have a look here

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/ :)

Guest covfan71

I know that coming over on a temp visa i will receive naff all but can anyone tell me that if i apply for Permanent Residency after the 2 year point will i then become eligible for all the benefits?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest caoimhe
I know that coming over on a temp visa i will receive naff all but can anyone tell me that if i apply for Permanent Residency after the 2 year point will i then become eligible for all the benefits?

Yes once you have your PR you can apply for benefits

Guest caoimhe
you dont have to wait the full 2 years to apply for pr; this will depend on employment status, i guess; and my application will be in by the end of feb; just 3 months after arrival on a 457!!!

We are on 496 and were told we had to wait 23months before applying for PR. Maybe it's different for different visa types:confused: