How much will we need?

Guest sam2500

Guest sam2500

Hi All,

Due to arrive 25th February.

Not sold our house but got viewer for rental tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Was hoping to dip into our equity on the house but the bank said no even though excellent credit rating and can easily afford.

Just all really holding back aren't they?

My OH thankfully has a job to start when we arrive,( vehicle included), but on temp visa so no other help.

We will not have the funds that we would have liked ( as the rest of you probably).

We are looking to rent about $350/$400 per week and may need to buy small amount of furniture till ours arrives.

Son age 8 ( very high maintenance).!!

What does everyone think the minimum we would need to be taking to survive until the pay kicks in?

Good luck to everyone out there, and like us still here but trying.

Anyone flying from Manchester 25th February also ?

Thanks a lot,

Sue David and (Sam:jimlad:)

Guest sam2500

Hi all,

Sorry brain scrambled ( wonder why )!!:embarrassed:

Fly out 21st February from manchester, 2 nights in Singapore arrive 25th February.

Take care,

Sue David sam

Yep like mentioned above there is a previous thread on this and the answer is as much as you can. Some people need less and some more and you always need more than you estimate. We came over with very little but I had a job to start straight away so didn't need as much as somebody without work. Everones circumstances are different. Good luck with your future plans.

Kris

300-400 is alot to budget for rent for 3 , depends where you want to rent really. We rented for 260 a week in seaford fpr a 3 bed with a pool, unless you want a mc mansion then you could cut that cost down considerably.

as for furniture just get by on the bear minimum if you can, cheap as chips is great for household stuff like utensils etc or ikea. I wouldnt spend a bomb if your shipping, people can lend you stuff, i can lend you a patio set which will double as dining set if you want. Big w is good for lots of stuff and le cornu. I gues it depends on your tastes . If you want to spend more then david jones is the place.

Seroius;y i would live cheap cheap cheap first few months, as this is the time your spening the most, do you really need to spend that $100 cos the bbq has a spit roast you wont use?

Guest sam2500

Thanks for the replies,

Yes a huge advantage having a job, as we can see from the rest of the folks on this site.

My OH job is in Camden Park, and the people sponsoring live nearby in North Glenelg.

Ideally we want to be nearby and they also have boys so will be new friends for my son.

Unfortunately the properties here we know are a little more expensive, but we will have to go with that I think.

A couple of nice properties around $380 per month.

It is going to be nice meeting up with some of you in the near future.

Thanks again,

Sue David (Sam

Hi we are due to go out in February, we too had planned to take 20,000 pounds and actually have i thinks about 11,000 pounds , Im so panicked that this isnt enough. So I know what you mean. Again I have a job once I arrive and no other help. I have recided myself to the fact that there is no going back now and I will deal with whatever comes my way when I arrive. So good luck to you, will let you know how we get on in February.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Farrows
Hi we are due to go out in February, we too had planned to take 20,000 pounds and actually have i thinks about 11,000 pounds , Im so panicked that this isnt enough. So I know what you mean. Again I have a job once I arrive and no other help. I have recided myself to the fact that there is no going back now and I will deal with whatever comes my way when I arrive. So good luck to you, will let you know how we get on in February.

Hi new to this forum site we had visa granted 5th jan and i am too panicking about money etc looks like we will be going woth roughly the same amount as you so would be good to know how you get on i amsure you will be grand as you seem to have the right outlook on life - good luck for 10th Feb hope all goes well:jiggy:

Becki

Guest covfan71

Hi, i too had planned to come out with £10,000 to cover me for the first few months in rent etc until we were settled and found our own place. I am also hoping to bring £150,000 from the sale of my house so hopefully be mortgage free (or have a very small one). In a mortgage free senario, what sort of wage would you be able to live on?

Guest sam2500
Hi, i too had planned to come out with £10,000 to cover me for the first few months in rent etc until we were settled and found our own place. I am also hoping to bring £150,000 from the sale of my house so hopefully be mortgage free (or have a very small one). In a mortgage free senario, what sort of wage would you be able to live on?

seems we are all going with about 10k , but if we dont go soon there be nothing at all here, switch the lights out on the way out comes to mind :arghh:

Guest covfan71
We came ith bout £10k, we are 9 months in and:D luvvin it in Seaford.

yes, but how long did it last or how long do you think it would last if you never had work.

yes, but how long did it last or how long do you think it would last if you never had work.

Tbh mate we never came with that view, i had lined up some companies/interviews from back in the Wetlands so knew that at some point i would have a job as some of had as good as offered me a job, sure they may not have been where we were going to live but that would have been a small price to pay as long as we had some money coming in.

I think we were pretty lucky, but fortune favours the brave as they say !!!!

You just have to be as positive as you can, take everything in our stride and take in as much info from guys who have been here and have gone through the experiences that you go thru once you are out here.

Hey,

We arrived with £10,000 as well...been here since April 2008...love it!

We were in a short term rental in Marino (great little bedsit!!) and estimated that money would last us 3 months and if we had no jobs by then we would be leaving quickly.

I had arranged a few interviews from UK b4 we arrived and luckily got a job within 1 week of arriving...

We were very carefull with money when we arrived.... but once we got our longterm rental...spent what was left in 3 hours buying stuff!! (we came with nothing)

JUst be positive...look through buyiing and selling section...we have got some bargains of here¬!!

Look forward to a beach lifestyle...cost nothing...!!

Dan and Steph