childcare rebate???

Guest thebaddeleys

Guest thebaddeleys

Hi everyone,

I wondered if anyone could shed any light on the child care rebate system out here?

My husband is on a 457 visa, are we eligible for the rebate if i go to work too?

If not how do we become eligible for it?

Thanks,

Kerry x :wubclub:

Hi everyone,

I wondered if anyone could shed any light on the child care rebate system out here?

My husband is on a 457 visa, are we eligible for the rebate if i go to work too?

If not how do we become eligible for it?

Thanks,

Kerry x :wubclub:

You wont be entiotled to family tax part a or childcare benefit on a temp visa. But im almost positive you will be entitled to the childcare tax rebate. 50% of your chilcare expenses are refunded every 13 weeks into your bank account. Obviosuly depending on how much you pay you will get a nice sum back. As we get family tax a i didnt have to claim it it was done already through the nursery. Best bet would be to ask them where to claim ;) good luck chick x

(i would pop into centerlink or ring them and ask as i may be wrong but im sure you can claim xxx)

Guest thebaddeleys

Thanks for yours help , I rang them up and first got told we could have it, then i did some research and rang them back and got told we couldn't get it... sometimes i think these people don't know what they are talking about!:arghh:

so i worked out all the tax and other implications of not being a PR and its SHOCKING.... I would be paying double in tax because i'm not a resident. So our plan is to see if my husbands company will sponsor us to get PR.. fingers crossed x x x x

Thanks,

Kerry x

Temporary and permanent are assessed differently for tax. when you first get here they assign you a temporary resident TFN but when you do tax return if have worked enough weeks out tax year they change you and get all overpaid tax back

Guest thebaddeleys
Temporary and permanent are assessed differently for tax. when you first get here they assign you a temporary resident TFN but when you do tax return if have worked enough weeks out tax year they change you and get all overpaid tax back

Interesting....So i have applied for my TFN, when i get it are you saying that i will go on a normal tax rate like a PR, or will i still be paying double? If i'm still paying double are you saying i will get it back at the end of the year?

Thanks x

Guest Lulujim

Hi,

I may have got this wrong.. but I have friends in Adelaide on a 475 who get a tax rebate at the end of the financial year which works out the same as paying normal tax rate.

We're going on a 475 (temp visa) too, so I asked Andrew Williams about this when we met up and he said, it's possible to sort it out from the beginning to get on a normal tax code, get taxed normally and not wait for the rebate.

As not in SA yet, I don't know who could officially sort this though? :confused: Hopefully someone else on here wil tho.

Good luck!

Guest norah battie

We were told by our agent that when filling out tax forms at the start tick the box non resident...WRONG...we got 10,000 back...you tick resident for tax purposes and you wont pay as high tax

We were told by our agent that when filling out tax forms at the start tick the box non resident...WRONG...we got 10,000 back...you tick resident for tax purposes and you wont pay as high tax

This is correct, your employer will give you a tax form to fill in when you start work, tick the box to say you are resident for tax purposes and you will be treated as anyone else as far as income tax goes, also give your tax file number to your bank or they will deduct tax on any interest at 40% (i think 40%) this could be a few $ if you have proceeds froma house sale.

Simon:):)

Guest ReadyPenny

Can someone please enlighten me? Is there an equivalent to Child Benefit in Australia or is the the child tax part a? Have not looked into these matters yet, am getting fed up with researching all things "official"

cheers

Mandy