12 month lease and temporary residency

Guest rockpool crab

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there

We've just secured a 12 month rental but just wondering, as temporary residents, can we claim rental tax allowance against this?

I'm a complete newbie.. but just reading between the lines on here that I'm thinking it "might" be a possibility.

Kind regards

Carol Ann

• 3 weeks later...

As temp rsidents for another 6 months, i can tell you that you are entitled to lots of the tax breaks, as for tax purpsoses you are classed as resident. However you are not entitled to lots of the benefits, like child allowances etc. What you do is basically keep every single receipt for anything you buy. In July of every year, take the shoe box of receipts to a tax accountant, and they will do all the hard work for you!! They will charge you betweenn $200-$300 for the pleasure, but most times you will get a nice juicy cheque for tax refund. They will give you a receipt for this, which you can claim back on your next years tax allowance. So basically free. (however if your house is used as part of your work, ie office, then you are entitled to a percentage of this in tax allowances)

Guest rockpool crab
As temp rsidents for another 6 months, i can tell you that you are entitled to lots of the tax breaks, as for tax purpsoses you are classed as resident. However you are not entitled to lots of the benefits, like child allowances etc. What you do is basically keep every single receipt for anything you buy. In July of every year, take the shoe box of receipts to a tax accountant, and they will do all the hard work for you!! They will charge you betweenn $200-$300 for the pleasure, but most times you will get a nice juicy cheque for tax refund. They will give you a receipt for this, which you can claim back on your next years tax allowance. So basically free. (however if your house is used as part of your work, ie office, then you are entitled to a percentage of this in tax allowances)

OMG..you are an angel!..I'll do that. Have only just got organised today and bought some expandable filing systems from K-Mart and feeling on top of it all at last.

Fantastic news Shaun...cheers!

Guest rockpool crab
No worries, i can put you in touch with my accountant if you want, he managed to get me a huge rebate with all the ins and outs, much more than if i had done it myself!!

Hiya,

Yup..."put me in touch" :-)

Erm...here's a wee newbie question..when is the tax year here? lol

Cheers again

Carol Ann

Tax year starts in July, ends at end of June, And tax accountant i use is HBS chartered accountants. They are on Sturt Road, just back a wee bit from Marion Westfield as if heading towards Brighton Road. They get you to fill in form, and you authorise them to deal with ATO (tax office) on your behalf. Give them all receipts and he will even "help" you to know what your entitled as tax deductable. For instance i work outdoors, so i can claim sunscreen, sunglasses, watch, stuff like that i never knew.

Guest Lulujim

hi Carol Ann - Just to gate-crash this thread - wondering what you decided to go for in the end - workwise? Self-employed? I remember when you used to look through all the businesses for sale (like I'm still doing!) LOL x

Guest rockpool crab
hi Carol Ann - Just to gate-crash this thread - wondering what you decided to go for in the end - workwise? Self-employed? I remember when you used to look through all the businesses for sale (like I'm still doing!) LOL x

Hi there!

I still have no work :-( but when my container comes I'll have heaps of canvases so I'll go for it and hopefully paint to bring in some money. I went out today, funnily enough, and bought some watercolours and paper, as I need to get back into it..didn't realise how much I'd miss it. I guess, back in UK, was painting to order and it'd lost it's appeal but now I want to paint for me..and if it brings in some cash along the way then happy days...but it's the composition and ideas that will be mine rather than regurgitating the same stuff, mind you...they are good!..lol. Ideally I'd like a job first for a bit of security initially but still hanker after the notion of working for myself, but proving to SA that I've worked for 35 hours a week as an artist..mmm..would hate to not get my PR for something like that.

Have you seen any businesses you fancy getting into?

All the best with the big move when it happens. We're still loving it and I'm sure it's just a matter of time. We have plenty of pokers in the fire and hubby found something that he would love to do and is quite excited about so fingers crossed that works out for him!

Catch you later

Carol Ann

Is this true for everyone? I have not heard of this before. Or is it just for those who are self employed? And when you say 'anything you buy', do you mean EVERYTHING? Or just rent? What about food/ appliances/ furniture?

Every little helps!

This true for everyone who is working full time and paying tax. Keep ALL your receipts. If they are no use, then the accountant will just give them back to you to bin. Obviously food does not count, but anything else i kept receipts for. Yeah i had to throw out a huge amount of them, but only after the accountant ha told me to.

Basically if you can link it to say you need it for work, you can claim it back. I claim all my internet an phone services, etc. I need internet to research papers etc, and also because i work all over world, people need to get hold of me. So i also need my phone line so i can get internet. Then i need my mobile for clients to be able to get hold of me if i am at rig-site etc. So i claim all this back too. Tools, anything you buy yourself for work can be claimed. If you need to buy your own work gear then get it paid back from employer in expenses, get the shop to give you 2 receipts, one for employer to refund your expenses, the other to claim back from ATO.