Some info for newbies to Adelaide

Firstly, I was speaking to someone recently who told me that he is paying a higher rate of tax than others as, because he is a temporary visa holder he is classed as a non resident for tax purposes. He had actually seen an Accountant and even the Accountant did not realise that should not have been the case.

I know this has come up a few times before, so thought I would clarify, a temporary resident here, generally if living and working for a planned period of time will be classed as a tax resident and also pay the same rate of tax as residents. There is an interactive tool on ATO website.

http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/axos.asp?CONTEXT=&KBS=Resident.XR4&go=ok

If unsure take the test and it will confirm.

Secondly, was at a BBQ last night discussing mobile phones etc. and a lot of people one for four months, one for a year! had just been buying $20 vouchers everytime credit run out. Someone had been spending about $80 a month topping up!

I mentioned about the $29 caps where you get $150 worth of credit and it is still pay as you go.

So I know Vodafone do this and you can pick up a sim for under $10.

We didn't find out ourselves when we first arrived for about 4 weeks, so this is certainly a way of cutting costs.

Cheers

Andy

Guest caoimhe
great to here re mobile phones my husband has been putting around $50 a week on his telstra mobile! so will definatly try and get a vodaphone sim!!

Optus do the same thing, as long as you top up within the month the money left will carry over. I put about $30 a month in mine and get $180 worth of credit

Guest Claireg
Optus do the same thing, as long as you top up within the month the money left will carry over. I put about $30 a month in mine and get $180 worth of credit

We have Optus too with the same top up. Hubby never uses his phone so sometimes we use that to ring the UK. We also have an Aussie Phone Card, you can get however much credit on as you like and then it costs 0.02cents per minute to ring landlines in the UK and 0.32 to call mobiles. :D

Claire

Guest Martin and Val
great to here re mobile phones my husband has been putting around $50 a week on his telstra mobile! so will definatly try and get a vodaphone sim!!

When we arrived we started using our old Telstra Sim cards which were still active from previous visits but it was like putting money in the fruit machines.

Walked into the Telstra shop and they changed our Sim cards over to a different tariff called "Talk and Text" which has been fantastic it's like having the old UK mobile's back as it works on minuets not value.

Top up:

$30 and get 60 mins voice and 60 texts

$40 and get 150 mins and 150 texts

$60 and get 250 mins and 250 texts

$100 and get 500 mins and 500 texts

This is to any network or land line. The mins last for 30 days from top up and if you don't use them you loose them but once they have gone you still have the original credit left as well and can carry on using that until it runs out and then top up again.

Last month I did a $40 top up and got extra bonus 150 mins and 150 texts on top as a special offer.

It works for us, good luck.