Salary Packaging?? Help please!

Guest Lulujim

Guest Lulujim

Hello,

Well James has been offered a job as a Store Manager with Woolworths in SA. Not exactly what he wants to be doing, and a massive step backwards career wise - but think we should be grateful for a job in the present climate - so are hanging on to it!

I have just read an article in June 2008 (yes I'm catching up a bit) about Salary Packaging.

It says ' If you're lucky enough to have a job offer prior to departure, you will be interested to learn that it may be possible to salary package your move so that the ATO (Aus Tax Office) effectively pays for airfares, estate agents fees, removals, stamp duty on Oz property and education costs of children etc.'

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? From my understanding it means the employer won't pay anymore, they claim the tax back on it as expenses, but your salary reduces for that tax year - but you go over with more English pounds ? :wacko:

Any help is very much appreciated - thanks in advance!

Alexis

Guest covfan71
Hello,

Well James has been offered a job as a Store Manager with Woolworths in SA. Not exactly what he wants to be doing, and a massive step backwards career wise - but think we should be grateful for a job in the present climate - so are hanging on to it!

I have just read an article in June 2008 (yes I'm catching up a bit) about Salary Packaging.

It says ' If you're lucky enough to have a job offer prior to departure, you will be interested to learn that it may be possible to salary package your move so that the ATO (Aus Tax Office) effectively pays for airfares, estate agents fees, removals, stamp duty on Oz property and education costs of children etc.'

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? From my understanding it means the employer won't pay anymore, they claim the tax back on it as expenses, but your salary reduces for that tax year - but you go over with more English pounds ? :wacko:

Any help is very much appreciated - thanks in advance!

Alexis

Hi again Alexis, can i ask how James managed to get a job with Woolworths? did he use a Aus website or something. I shall be keeping an eye on this thread cause it sounds good to me if it's true

salary sacrificing is that what you mean?

I can sacrifice $16k a year as a nurse working for RDNS. They have one of the best around as they are not for profit, but all companys differ. Basciacally i can sacrifice around $600 towards my mortgage a fortnight, they take this off your pay and then you are taxed on whats left.The sacrice is then payed seperatly the day before or after payday.

So for eg if you earn 50,000, and can scarifce $16,000 youd only pay tax on 34,000. Hope this helps.

Guest Lulujim

Hi Rachel and Clare,

Thanks so much for your replies. I think salary sacrificing might be different from salary packaging (I think this has to be done before the move to Oz) - but I was so interested in what you told me I will defo be looking in to that too.

Mark - James and I went to an Expo where Woolies had a stand and it went from there!

Thanks everyone for your help :wubclub: