Gov Money?????

Guest PommyPaul

Guest PommyPaul

As I understand it the new stimulus package has been approved and everyone is set to recieve $900????

How do you qualify for this??? We have been here on a perm visa since sep 2008 and have heard people saying that you have to have submitted a tax return to qualify???

Anybody know???

As I understand it the new stimulus package has been approved and everyone is set to recieve $900????

How do you qualify for this??? We have been here on a perm visa since sep 2008 and have heard people saying that you have to have submitted a tax return to qualify???

Anybody know???

to qualify you need to have paid tax for year 2007-2008 and done the tax return id say no unfortuneatly :(

Correct, you have to have submitted a tax return for the year ending Juky 2008

Do you still qualify it you are on the SIR 495 temporary visa ie not permanent (yet). ? I would imagine a lot of us completed the tax return, regardless of earnings or visa type. $900 per person would be nice :D

Guest Kazzarazza
Do you still qualify it you are on the SIR 495 temporary visa ie not permanent (yet). ? I would imagine a lot of us completed the tax return, regardless of earnings or visa type. $900 per person would be nice :D

Yes, it is available for temporary and provisional visa holders. The term resident for tax purposes is different to immigrations definition. If you paid income tax and lodged a tax return for 2007-2008 you should get the bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been here since January 08 and are on the SIR 495 so I assumed we were not entitled to anything.

How do we get it then? OH submitted a tax return for 08 so how to we get our mitts on the cash? Do we get it automatically or have to claim it? Could really do with that right now...

:)

Guest tooeasy
i believe if you are in receipt of family credit ( or whatever its called) part A for school going kids you get it also.

yes you also get $900 for every child in full time education

Guest Deb17

So who's the expert on here who can tell us how we are supposed to get it/claim it then? We have had naff all, not surprisingly! As you are apparently not entitled to anything from Centrelink until you get a permanent visa, how are you supposed to claim for this money? Is it going to be paid in your tax return when you lodge it? We too, could really do with the extra dosh! Sorry to push the issue but we're broke!

Guest tooeasy

yes if you did a tax return for the year 07/08 and paid tax the money will go into your nominated bank account or they will send you out a cheque :)

So who's the expert on here who can tell us how we are supposed to get it/claim it then? We have had naff all, not surprisingly! As you are apparently not entitled to anything from Centrelink until you get a permanent visa, how are you supposed to claim for this money? Is it going to be paid in your tax return when you lodge it? We too, could really do with the extra dosh! Sorry to push the issue but we're broke!

have you got your PR now? if so then get yourself to any centerlink office, you will be entitled to Family assistance, maybe even rent assistance (if renting). If you need after school care you should also be entitled to childcare benefit

The experts are the ATO. They are administering and paying the tax bonus. If you have lodged a tax return for 2007 - 2008 it will automatically be paid to you via the details you have supplied on your tax return. Go straight to the definitive information ....... http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/content.asp?doc=/content/00178930.htm&page=1&H1

Curious...I am a perm resident for tax purposes, but am still on my provisional spousal visa (part 2, for those of you who have gone this way), doesn't get submitted until this coming October, at which point I become perm perm, not provisional perm. I'm considered perm for everything anyway...taxes, govt jobs etc, but I wonder if it will affect the rebate. Anyone know? Guessing we won't know until one of us who is on a prov perm spousal visa gets a cheque;)

My husband is also on Part 2 of his Spouse Visa, a resident for tax purposes, but it is still a temporary visa (it actually says on the visa 'provisional'; you won't have PR until you have submitted and been granted Part 3 - we have the paperwork for Part 3 PR sitting here waiting to be filled in). He is considered a resident for tax purposes and therefore will be eligible under the same criteria as any other taxpayer i.e. have lodged a tax return for YE 07-08, and have paid tax.

From ATO site ............. http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/content.asp?doc=/content/00178930.htm&page=2&H2

Temporary residents

If you were an Australian resident for tax purposes for the 2007-08 financial year, and you meet all the other eligibility criteria, you will receive the tax bonus payment. It does not matter whether you were here on a temporary resident visa or not.

no . you have to have paid some tax.ie the government got to keep some of your money.

Just to play devil's advocate, is that in writing somewhere? If you make under a certain amount per year, whether resident for tax purposes or not, the govt will give you all of your tax back, so if you've only been a resident for part of the year (mine and Dan's case, I am guessing) you may pay very little or no tax.

There is a very simple calculator on the ATO link I have previously given. Use it to determine if you are eligible for the tax bonus. There is a formula given, you will need your YE June 08 tax return in front of you when you do it, as you will need to input data from it.

It is all very simply explained on the ATO website.

There is a very simple calculator on the ATO link I have previously given. Use it to determine if you are eligible for the tax bonus. There is a formula given, you will need your YE June 08 tax return in front of you when you do it, as you will need to input data from it.

It is all very simply explained on the ATO website.

Yippee! Thanks mate;)

Just to play devil's advocate, is that in writing somewhere? If you make under a certain amount per year, whether resident for tax purposes or not, the govt will give you all of your tax back, so if you've only been a resident for part of the year (mine and Dan's case, I am guessing) you may pay very little or no tax.

You must have been a 'net' taxpayer. in other words paid tax after your return has gone in.

We have an interesting one!,got a phone call the other day confirming our sons eligibility for the student payout. It appears hes entilted for it, but is also entilted under the tax paying one ................does he get 2!!!!!!:D

We will wait and see.....................;)