Debit Mastercards

Guest Morag

Guest Morag

There seems to be a lot of confusion around being able to get a debit mastercard. :D

AS long as you are on a working visa (not holiday) and have an australian address then you are eligible for a debit mastercard from the Commonwealth bank. I cannot speak for other banks. if any one has any questions either post me or pm me.

Morag

(migrant banker CBA)

Hi Morag

It is great that you have come on here as this has been an ongoing problem for people on provisional visas as you have probably seen.

I think it is important to highlight that that the problem comes from lack of awareness of the different visas by bank staff and perhaps this is something that needs to be looked at internally as banks are losing out on lucrative future business as migrants like myself are taking their funds elsewhere.

Commonwealth would have been my next choice after Westpac but I have now gone to ANZ as the person I spoke to at Commonwealth told me that I could not have a debit mastercard, they even checked with their manager who said the same. There is only so many times you can ask the same question before you give up!

Thanks again for the info though, wish I knew this a few weeks ago!

Guest Martin and Val

I'm surprised to read this as I've not heard of any issues before. (Probably missed the posts in question)

We just went to Westpac opened accounts without any issues what so ever, and that was before we even lived here and before we even had our provisional Visa.

Originally we opened up two accounts each with $5 in each and asked for no bank charges which was fine and we still don't get charged for anything unless we use our card in another banks machine.

We opened a choice account and a Maxi Account each which is now called an E account. We both have debit cards and also have a Credit Mastercard which we both have access to having a card each. Really easy to set up and very helpful staff.

We opened our accounts while here on a holiday previously but I know you can also open them just as easy directly from the UK over the Internet. I'm sure many others will add their experiences to this topic.

Hope this helps someone.

Martin

Martin

It is great that you didn't have any problems with this, but your case illustrates the inconsistencies which some of us are experiencing problems with, I was told in no uncertain terms by the Migrant Banker at Westpac that our visa would not allow us to have a debit mastercard only a handy card, we went and doublechecked in another branch and they brought out a sheet of paper with all the visa classes on it, our visa was highlighted to say that we could have a credit card but not a debit card. So we have moved all our money to ANZ following advice on here as they would give us a debit visa card regardless of our visa status.

I have to say that if it wasn't for this I would have stayed with Westpac as their customer service has been fantastic regardless of this issue.

Guest Martin and Val

How strange,

We didn't even have a Visa when we opened our accounts and got the debit cards without question.

I do wonder how many others have had the same problem?

This is a good topic for those still en route to Adelaide and I'm certain the more answers this thread gets the more it will highlight any problems and issues people have had in the past.

As you said the customer service with Westpac is extremely good and we are very happy to stay with them. (But who knows what the future may bring)

Martin

Sort of off topic but still relevant - my hubby wanted a debit Visa card annexed to our joint account, and was told by our credit union that he had to have resided in Australia for three months before he could apply as he was (and still is) on the temporary stage of his Spouse visa.

Guest stufi1997

We were originally told when we activated the accounts in the city with Westpac that we were not allowed to have a debit mastercard.....but when I asked again at our local branch in Victor Harbor no probs...then again i didn't actually realise you could use the handycard in the shops for eftpos purchases like a normal debit card. The only reason you need the mastercard is for making purchases online or over the phone. Cheers Fiona

P.S we're on a SIR 495

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Martin and Val, have you tried to make purchases over the phone or internet? We don't seem to be able to use it, we have a Westpac Handycard. Considering changing banks, as we tend to do most stuff online and already as costed us more money (since we can't use the cheaper deals online).

Emu

A handycard can be used in most shops but not to pay online or over the phone, I had to move banks to ANZ from Westpac to get a Visa Debit card, also you should contact Morag who started this thread who works for Commonwealth Bank and advises that you should be able to get one with them.

Guest Martin and Val
Hello Martin and Val, have you tried to make purchases over the phone or internet? We don't seem to be able to use it, we have a Westpac Handycard.

Hi,

Yes we've used over the phone without problems, but then ours are standard Mastercard Debit and Credit cards. Sorry don't know what a Handycard is? I would suggest going back to the bank and telling them what they have issued you is of no use and tell them unless they provide the service you require that you will go elsewhere. I would hope that would make them deal with it.

It is strange how things seem to vary between Branch's and maybe who you deal with in the first place

Good luck

Martin

Guest Martin and Val
Martin, a Handycard is effectively an ATM card with a Cirrus logo it allows you to make purchases in shops through EFTPOS but does not have a Visa or Mastercard logo so you cannot make purchases online or over the phone.

Thanks for that, you learn something new everyday on here. Certainly glad we have what I would call normal cards then in that case.

Like you've said before it illustrates the inconsistencies that seem to be happening between branch's and banks.

Martin