Tax Returns 2008/09

Guest KP Nuts

Guest KP Nuts

We've only been here since November 2008, and I'm aware we will need to do a tax return, but when? Do we wait until the end of June, or do they have to be submitted before this time, and also do you get the forms sent to you, or do you have to download them or what???????

Thanks in advance for any replies

Hi there,

we went through an accountant who was recommended through here.

Southern taxation services in Christies Beach, Beach Road. His name is Dougie Booth.

He did our return last year and we will definatley be using him again.

But they do send a form to you to complete if you want to do it yourself.

Hope this helps, I don't know a great deal about it I'm afraid.

Guest caoimhe
Just wondering, how much would it cost to go to an accountant for this:) Thanks

H & R Block tax consultants do it for about $90. Is gets dearer if your tax is more complicated

...do you get the forms sent to you, or do you have to download them or what???????

Most newsagents have a large pile of tax forms around the end of June so just grab one from there - each pack contains 2 forms to allow for mistakes. If you're self-employed then I'd recommend an accountant as they know how to get the most for you.

Once you've done the paper forms you can then do it online...

Justin.

Guest the4hopes

I know to keep school receipts, but are there any others to keep? Or any other information to remember to keep the bill down, ie things we may not be told on the forms! But a good accountant would tell you!!

Thanks

I know to keeps school receipts, but are there any others to keep? Or any other information to remember to keep the bill down, ie things we may not be told on the forms! But a good accountant would tell you!!

Thanks

Our accountant said keep allsorts cos its easier to throw out the stuff you cnt claim for than the stuff thats already in the bin.;)

Guest Alipally

Hello!

OH is doing the tax course with H & R Block at the moment....

Do consult an agent, although you can't expect them to know absolutely everything about every single area of work and sometimes things will get missed if you work in an 'unusual' industry, so if you fall into that catagory, ask the people you work with who they use to do their returns.

There are allsorts of stupid things you can claim for...

eg:

Suncream, sunglasses and hats if you work outside the office! (reps are included!) :o

meals bought whilst away from home.

travel to and from work if you have to carry your own tools....

If you travel by car to different locations and have bought a Sat Nav, you can claim for that too.

If you work from home, you can claim around 17% of your rent, providing your landlord says you can use part of your home as an office

Internet if you are undertaking study as part of your work requirements.

If you have a company vehicle, then car washing expenses are claimable.

Every night spent away from home is claimable too.

All of your med expenses can, I think, be claimed.....

The things you can claim for if you're a sex worker include... costumes, lingerie, lubricants, and 'accessories'!!!

Since we landed, I've kept every receipt for every purchase I've made since I got here, just in case I can claim them back!!

Ali x