Thread: Westpac Handycard - any good?

Emu

Title
      Liked
      45 times
      Rep

Westpac Handycard - any good?

Hello,
      We just got a Westpac Handycard and by the looks of it we can't buy nothing online with it, it's a Cirrus card. Was told that to get a Mastercard or Visa, we need to have a credit card. I don't understand this because in the UK you can have a Mastercard/Visa on a current account. I am very annoyed that we have all our savings on this card and we can't use it for most transactions! Was told that because we not permanent residents we can only get a card like this, this is very annoying, we can't wait 3 years to get a decent bank card.
      Can anyone help?
      Is it worth changing banks? If so which one would offer us a decent bank card?

Note for new migrants - keep a UK credit card open, you can always cancel over the phone, we had to wait 2 weeks for a Westpac card. We ordered 2 cards and only one has showed up. It makes it very difficult to settle if we can't have access to your own money.

Title
      Liked
      43 times
      Rep
      Emu

I had the same problem with Westpac. ANZ offer a Everyday Visa Debit card to temp residents which I have now got, you can apply online and will prob get your card a few days later, also the Migrant Banker from Commonwealth Bank wrote on here a few weeks ago, she said that people should contact her if they have problems like this as Commonwealth definitely issue Mastercard Debits to temp residents. Link to thread attached.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/...ead.php?t=8854

Emu

Title
      Liked
      45 times
      Rep
      Hi, thanks for the info on both threads, just had a talk with Westpac but they still say we can't have it, I guess we have to move banks.

Title
      Liked
      43 times
      Rep
      I know, it is a pain having to move banks again but hey if they don't have the service you want then what do they expect!

Title
      Liked
      18 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
      Hello,
      We just got a Westpac Handycard and by the looks of it we can't buy nothing online with it, it's a Cirrus card. Was told that to get a Mastercard or Visa, we need to have a credit card. I don't understand this because in the UK you can have a Mastercard/Visa on a current account. I am very annoyed that we have all our savings on this card and we can't use it for most transactions! Was told that because we not permanent residents we can only get a card like this, this is very annoying, we can't wait 3 years to get a decent bank card.
      Can anyone help?
      Is it worth changing banks? If so which one would offer us a decent bank card?

Note for new migrants - keep a UK credit card open, you can always cancel over the phone, we had to wait 2 weeks for a Westpac card. We ordered 2 cards and only one has showed up. It makes it very difficult to settle if we can't have access to your own money.
      Hi,

we are on a temp visa and had the exact same situation with Westpac, we were tearing our hair out with them, it seemed crazy that they would give us a credit card (which we didn't get even though they said it was the only way), but we have been here 6 months now with regular wages going in every month and last month we randomly recieved some debit/mastercard cards, I think maybe they want to see money going into your account on a regular basis.... at least thats the only thing that makes sense to me..

Hope this helps, maybe you won't have to change bank accounts after all x

Emu

Title
      Liked
      45 times
      Rep
      Hi, thank you for that info. We now changed banks, we got help from Morag at Commonwealth, she was fantastic. After 2 months my husband still didn't have a Handycard, I got one but he didn't even though it was a joint account.

Title
      Liked
      39 times
      Rep
      Hi, just a quick note to let everyone know that Westpac now offer Debit Mastercards to Temp Residents!! You can order online, Telephone Banking or at the branch.

Jackie
      Flutterby likes this.

Title
      Liked
      16 times
      Rep
      Westpac have always offered temp residents a credit card.
      We got our the day we arrived....

Handy card is just for FPOS (i.e same as switch in the UK)

Generally, you can't use FPOS to buy online or use in carparks and such....

Si

Emu

Title
      Liked
      45 times
      Rep
      Sorry to disagree, but with us they didnt offer a credit card, they said we had to wait until we settled and we didn't get a Mastercard or Visa current account card. Even though I did speak with quite a few people and rang the helpline. They said 475 can't get it!
      Even if you were a millionaire ;o)

Title
      Liked
      57 times
      Rep
      Hi, I am on a 457 visa and got the handy cardand visa card days after i arrived, i've had no problems...Sorry it doesn't help, but glad you got it sorted..

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Copyright 2006 - 2014 Australia Migration Forums