Banana prices.What's that all about?

sueoc

Guest Team 'W'

the rest of the cost is to put that red nail varnish at the end of the ladies fingers bananas [wats that all about]GET US is this all weve got to bring the world to writes about.......

sueoc we need to get out more other wise them men in white coats are on their way for us girl????

Guest steph&neil

hiya rach is right they dont import them - they are grown in north queensland, hence if they have a bad season (tropical storms) they go up in price, last year i seen them at over $9 a kg.

With regards to the red wax on lady fingers is too diferenciate them from standand bananas - lady fingers dont go brown after peeling so they are great for fruit salads etc, hope that helps x

Guest kerfumph
hiya rach is right they dont import them - they are grown in north queensland, hence if they have a bad season (tropical storms) they go up in price, last year i seen them at over $9 a kg.

With regards to the red wax on lady fingers is too diferenciate them from standand bananas - lady fingers dont go brown after peeling so they are great for fruit salads etc, hope that helps x

Nope, we are are just being ripped off.

You can import bananas, but the shops don't want too.

http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/2009/03/05/agreement-to-import-bananas-from-the-philippines-leads-to-grower-fears-and-iga-ban.html

Guest LOOBYLOO

I was in the fruit & veg shop a couple of weeks ago and the bloke announces that anyone already in the queue with bananas would be charged $1.99 a kilo but after that they were now going up to $3.49 a kilo??

Guest steph&neil
Nope, we are are just being ripped off.

You can import bananas, but the shops don't want too.

http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/2009/03/05/agreement-to-import-bananas-from-the-philippines-leads-to-grower-fears-and-iga-ban.html

Kerfumph not sure what you mean, but if the shops only stock Australian bananas, then rach & I are right, you can only buy the home grown ones?? the above link states that they could reach an import agreement but the if the shops don't order them then we cant get them, please correct me if I am wrong, steph x

I agree with Wizzy wozza. Why import bananas from elsewhere when they are grown here???

OK the price fluctuates but surely we want to keep jobs in Australia rather than sending everything overseas which is what has happened in the UK. :(

'Gets down off soapbox'

Lea

Guest SA Great
They are up and down like a pair of Who...es knickers. Just checked Asda website,38p a Kilo

(FYFFE)After visiting the big "C" Supermarket here,a whopping $5.98 per kilo.Someone is having a laugh!

By the time you add on the $2000 airfare, those bananas in Asda are going to cost you a fortune. You live here now and as you will know by now its swings and roundabouts. Yeah some things are dearer and some things are cheaper. Do you complain when you buy petrol because its too cheap?

Lol!

It can seem strange when things you fluctuate so much in price, but it's just one of those things and ultimately I totally support buying Australian (preferably South Australian) above foreign imports.

I remember when the cost of bananas reached prices beyond what we could afford, but we had guests over from the Uk, so I 'treated' us to a couple of bananas for the fruit salad...only to find that none of them actually liked bananas anyway! :jiggy:

:wubclub: LC

Guest moonraker1959

Easy,when the price goes up,just don't buy them!I recall years ago the prices of spuds went through the roof,alot of people,including myself,just refused to buy them and substituted spuds with rice,pasta,cous cous ect!

I went to Gepps Cross market this morning, bananas $3 kilo, apples and pears between $1and $1.5 kilo, large cabbage $1.80, carrots 90c kilo, cucumbers $1 kilo, tomatos $1.5 kilo, 10kg oranges $5, go late morning and you can get things even cheaper, or if like me you buy large quantities, for example a 10 kilo box of tomatos for $8, I don't buy much from supermarkets.:)

nearly forgot cherries $5 kilo:):):)

Simon

Guest kerfumph
Kerfumph not sure what you mean, but if the shops only stock Australian bananas, then rach & I are right, you can only buy the home grown ones?? the above link states that they could reach an import agreement but the if the shops don't order them then we cant get them, please correct me if I am wrong, steph x

Yep that's right, if you make say 50% profit, why make it on a $1 a kilo, when you can make it on $5 if you sell the same amount?

Guest steph&neil
Yep that's right, if you make say 50% profit, why make it on a $1 a kilo, when you can make it on $5 if you sell the same amount?

????? what are you on about????

Guest caoimhe

I have had to remove a few posts from this thread and if there are any more insults then the thread will be closed. How can someone wanting a light hearted moan about banana prices turn into a slanging match.....please feel free to swap mobile numbers and slag each other off via text and not on the site:goofy:

Guest Rob and Clare
bloody hell...i missed the fun (again!!!).

As for prices, they were never $5 each when the QLD storms hit, they were expensive though. But I remember people saying they were still cheaper than a bar of chocolate, so there was no reason not to buy them!

I can't remember how much banana's were individually but I remember prices of $11 - $15 per KG.

According to Wikipedia they went to $35 per kilo, but i didn't get any at that price. :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Larry#Banana_Shortage

I do appreciate big bananas would cost more individually than small ones...but the point is still there, people will spend more on unhealthy food than on the healthy option.

and from the ever accurate Wiki you quoted, this goes to prove we cant import them here. Someone earlier on said we can. I import them into my stomach once or twice a day!!!

The cyclone destroyed 80 to 90% of Australia's banana crop. Australia is relatively free of banana pests and diseases, and therefore does not allow bananas to be imported. Bananas were in short supply and very expensive throughout Australia for the remainder of 2006 which increased prices across the country by 400-500%, with prices rising as high as $13-35/kg.[19]

Guest guest569
I do appreciate big bananas would cost more individually than small ones...but the point is still there, people will spend more on unhealthy food than on the healthy option.

and from the ever accurate Wiki you quoted, this goes to prove we cant import them here. Someone earlier on said we can. I import them into my stomach once or twice a day!!!

The cyclone destroyed 80 to 90% of Australia's banana crop. Australia is relatively free of banana pests and diseases, and therefore does not allow bananas to be imported. Bananas were in short supply and very expensive throughout Australia for the remainder of 2006 which increased prices across the country by 400-500%, with prices rising as high as $13-35/kg.[19]

I think there is alot of export going about at the moment !!:biglaugh:

like team W has said. " if you want something that bad you will pay the asking price." If like me you are not fussed and will be happy with a locally produced alternative then there's always tomorrow.;)