Aussie Speeding fines on a British Drivers Licence...

Guest Fancy a Beer

Guest Fancy a Beer

My hubbies Cousin has just received in the post two speeding fines from the car hire company he used when he was in Victoria while here on holidays last year, the fines amount to just under $600, wow!! Thats not the problem..... problem is thats 6 points to go on the licence, and he already has 6 points on his UK licence so technically a ban with 12 points! :arghh:

Does anyone know if the Aussie's tell the DVLA about the points or if they go on the British licence, or basically does anyone know what does actually happen???

OOps just realised spelling mistake in title should be British!

Guest guest3462

Hi as far as i'm aware aussie points do not transfer onto a British licence if the punishment imposed is only a fine. If there is a criminal charge made then they will be added, but seeing as they are just fines then he should be fine. Also is he sure that it is 6 points? If he was going less than 10km over the speed limit sometimes the demerit is only 1 point. (That is all I got) Hope this helps and that it is right, otherwise we are buggered!!! lol!

Guest Fancy a Beer

Thanks guys!

Unfortunatly he was doing 120 in a 100 zone on a straight road from Victoria to Adelaide, the two fines were in fact only 7 mins apart on the same day!! :mad:

Still speeding is speeding at the end of the day!

i cant help with ur query sorry but i came across this when trying to find out how many points hubby would have got for speeding, its a good page to add to ya faves i think:) tells u how many points for all traffic offences here in sa:)

Dawn x

http://www.sa.gov.au/upload/franchise/Transport,%20travel%20and%20motoring/Drivers%20and%20licences/MR265%20Demerits%200609.PDF

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tinkham_lee

if you only have an english licence, the fine is larger and you dont get any points, the points will not be put on your oz licence when you get it. one of my friends got a red light ticket in the first week of being here in the hire car, before he got his oz licence. they doubled the fine and no points.

Guest Aussie pat

My husband got fined when visiting Adelaide prior to him moving over here. He was using a hire car at the time and the car company passed the fine onto us, which we paid. When he applied for his Aussie licence they didn't ask about any points and he has a clean Aussie and UK licence.

Guest thekings
i cant help with ur query sorry but i came across this when trying to find out how many points hubby would have got for speeding, its a good page to add to ya faves i think:) tells u how many points for all traffic offences here in sa:)

Dawn x

http://www.sa.gov.au/upload/franchise/Transport,%20travel%20and%20motoring/Drivers%20and%20licences/MR265%20Demerits%200609.PDF

This ones interesting "Riding motor bike or bicycle more than 1.5 metres from another rider 3 points" hmm surely they mean less than 1.5 metres else we'll all be tailgating and crashing into each other :arghh:

I also like this one "Driving motor vehicle towing trailer with person in trailer 3 points"