Top 10

Smithers

If shipping your beds then decent good quality bedding would top my list (beds are different size here). Duck down duvets, covers etc. We use the double thickness down duvets with the two clipped together in winter at its coldest and this time of year just the thin one on the bed.

Good quality towels.

I also suggest good quality kitchen pots and pans, kitchen utensils etc. I find it all expensive here. Very glad I brought just about everything from the kitchen with us. Sure you will need cheap basics when you arrive, it's what Ikea and Target were made for but if you like good quality small electrical items or decent crockery, pans etc, make sure you ship them all if you already have them. Not sure I'd buy it all new to ship but defo a few items in glad I got in the year before we left.

My wish list item would be a top of the range or near top of the range Kitchenaid mixer. Even better if bought on sale or some such in the UK. Sure you can get them here but could save up to a few hundred dollars in price. Not everyone is going to want one of course but it would be my item. I may get one on my trip to England next year and bring it back with me if I have room. Depends on exchange rate then too :)

Luxury item I can't get here, can't think of anything really. It would most likely be food, like apricot Stilton, good venison pate or decent bagels that don't cost a small fortune. The supermarket ones here are crappy and the artisan ones expensive. Actually, Waitrose, yeah, just give me Waitrose ;)

Edited by snifter

I don't rate Dysons vacuum cleaners at all, but many do and say to buy before leaving UK. Give me Miele or Sebo any day. I find cylinder vacuum cleaners better here due to most of the floors being tiled or wood. An upright is just plain annoying then IMHO. I bought a Miele here on sale, half price, so got it for $200, so bit cheaper than the same one in the UK at the time. Was a case of biding my time and shopping round then finding it online for that price so ordered it. But if thinking of buying any vacuum cleaner before you move, compare prices online with the AUS stores, see what the difference is price wise with exchange rates and if cheaper by a chunk, buy there and ship I reckon.

Ooooh, I don't really see those here now I think about it.

I love those things, I wouldn't mind a couple :cute:

Trust me I have looked everywhere! Nothing anywhere near as good here - I just got told "oh, Australians don't sit out in the sun so there's no call for them!" But I use them on my undercover patio!!! We brought two with us, got brother in law to bring another couple when they moved here, and those are on their last legs now. Admittedly the cushions don't survive long when they are outside all the time, but at the price they sell at in Argos, if you only get a couple of years use from them, you don't mind!

Next trip back to UK I am seriously considering buying a half dozen and shipping them back via Movecube or someone like that.

I'll put a couple in for you as well Snifter! Anyone else....???

I did get a couple of these from Gumtree last weekend - it was the closest I could find here, but not as comfy as the cushioned ones http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1474958.htm

Yes,i agree with the previous posts.I find the quality of goods for the prices charged here is generally appalling!I am often flabbergasted by this,and the 'Sale now on' patter is just plain deceitful,often when i have bothered to check these claims out,i've found it to be no more than a ploy to get you in the Shop.Basically,i would advise anyone coming here to bring as much Quality Goods as they can afford,as comparable quality here is very expensive.Best of luck to you all.

We gave our chiminea to family!! BIG MISTAKE!

2 boxes of bacon fries from coop

winter clothes

electric blanket

primark

cold, crisp autumn days

Morrisons lamb seasoning packets

warburtons bread

chargrilled chicken seasoning

cod, chips and curry sauce from the chippy!

Them were the days!

Hi all

we are getting ready for the move out

what can you recommend we should bring with us rather than buy there?

are there something's that are better quality and or price here?

and what would you all bring as a luxury item that you can't get anymore?!!

thanks

steve n lesley

Very usefull post......thankyou, we are off to Adelaide in March and we have found this to be a very helpful post x

If you like shoes, consider stocking up on some classic styles as they are rather woeful quality and/or price here.

I bought a pair of Fitflops for £30 in the UK. Same pair, online Aus shop, cheapest price I could find was in a 'sale' for $110. That currently converts into about £60. Full price would be about equal to £71 :wideeyed:

Other pairs I picked up for £25 before leaving the UK, some £40 or so. But average price over here is around $130-160 a pair. Not even sales can match price wise.

I also order son his school shoes from Clarks UK site. Much better range and price. I had his feet measured in store at David Jones and so knew what size to order. I did go in ready to buy a pair of shoes in store there but they had bog all choice and what there was seemed not so good quality. Skechers and stuff are really pricey here. I saw the same pair on sale here recently for $80 or so and I picked up son's pair in the UK for less than £20, so better than half price. My mum was over recently so I had them shipped to her and she bought them over for me (along with some other stuff).

I've been really disappointed in shoes here in general, glad I have good quality pairs to last and that I stocked up on summer shoes and a few other pairs before we left. I plan to go shopping when I am back in the UK on holiday next year and top up :biggrin:

ETA - Blundstones, my favourite boot ever are cheaper here than the UK though :cute:

Edited by snifter
added a bit