Spiders in SA

Guest ed999

Guest leeannekays

I recognise the red back and huntsman, what are the others ?

We have been here 8 weeks and have had a red back in the garage with 3 egg sacks. A White tail or tip in the bedroom and a wolf spider in the alfresco!

Leeanne

Guest ed999

The one with white spots is a young red back, I think. The spots turn red as the spider matures. I have no idea what th tarantula looking thing is. He has since disappeared from outside the kitchen window.

Guest Barney Rubble
The one with white spots is a young red back, I think. The spots turn red as the spider matures. I have no idea what th tarantula looking thing is. He has since disappeared from outside the kitchen window.

The part that is anoying is the cost of the special collars, makes taking a pet one for a walk SO expensive . . . . . . . . . . :swoon:

Speaking as a confirmed arachnophobe, I have to say the red back is a very pretty spider.

I'm an arachnophobe as well and its annoying me alot! I don't know how I will react with all the spiders that will be around:unsure: I have a weak stomach and when I come face to face with one...oh God

We mortein bomb the house every now and again, and have two automatic sprays at both ends of the house and in one year only seen one spider :biggrin:

Does the Bug-Bomb really work? And do you stay at home while you bomb the house or will you have to leave for a couple of hours? What about the electric plug-ins work as well. I'm sure I read somewhere about this:eek:

Yes it does work, turn off the electrics and set them off, leave for a couple of hours, we usually go out for a while and when you get back open the windows to let the room air and then thats it. Then depending on whats hiding in your house they usually dont last long. As for the electric plug ins we haven't used them.

Yes it does work, turn off the electrics and set them off, leave for a couple of hours, we usually go out for a while and when you get back open the windows to let the room air and then thats it. Then depending on whats hiding in your house they usually dont last long. As for the electric plug ins we haven't used them.

Thank you for putting my mind at ease:smile: I appreciate it:smile:

Guest Guest75
Does the Bug-Bomb really work? And do you stay at home while you bomb the house or will you have to leave for a couple of hours? What about the electric plug-ins work as well. I'm sure I read somewhere about this:eek:

Bug bombs and all the gadgets are ok but SOMETHING will always want to "Share" your house.

You do have to leave the house for a few hours when bug bombing.

Don't worry about the huge hairy spiders................................................. the venomous snakes have eaten them all !!

You just have to have an awareness for them and don't stick anything smaller than your elbow into holes!:arghh::biglaugh:

Yes the bombs work we also use an out door spray that also keeps them at bay. We have not had any in the house. Touch wood it stays that way. lol.

Good advice there Janice. Better to keep them out than think of taking them out :wink:

Bug bombs and all the gadgets are ok but SOMETHING will always want to "Share" your house.

You do have to leave the house for a few hours when bug bombing.

Don't worry about the huge hairy spiders................................................. the venomous snakes have eaten them all !!

You just have to have an awareness for them and don't stick anything smaller than your elbow into holes!:arghh::biglaugh:

Note taken Tyke. Thank you:smile: I definitely don't want to share the house with them :biglaugh: I'll put on safety gloves before sticking my hand in a hole in OZ:biglaugh:

Dosent it worry you a bit, putting all them toxins and gasses into your house on the opinion of a few brainy people that it wont give you some king of horrific death in 50 years a bit like the bugs did,(like they did with cigs) and then go in and sleep in it. Think I'll stick to my jam jar and piece of card just in case ?:arghh:

Edited by Pommyspark

Guest Guest75
Dosent it worry you a bit, putting all them toxins and gasses into your house on the opinion of a few brainy people that it wont give you some king of horrific death in 50 years a bit like the bugs did,(like they did with cigs) and then go in and sleep in it. Think I'll stick to my jam jar and piece of card just in case ?:arghh:

Ya can do a lot in 50 years, believe me I've tried!!!! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

The first year we were here I sprayed the outside of our house, every nook and cranny! I have never bothered since and haven't had a problem with huge amounts of terrifying eight-legged beasties (Tyke and his two legs is probably the scariest thing I've found in my house/yard!).

We have a few daddy-long-leg spiders chillaxing in the corners of the ceiling, munching on whatever does pop in, and I find the (very) occasional huntsman in the laundry but otherwise, nothing. I haven't sprayed with anything since!

Obviously it will depend on where you live- we are in blissful suburbia and I would imagine a large rural plot might have more insects wandering in lol but I really wouldn't worry. And if it helps, whilst I do quickly look under stuff outside before picking up (we had a lovely fat redback that lived under the pool filter cover) I often garden without gloves and walk round without my shoes...:shocked:

Guest The Dimmocks

We used a bomb a few times but personally I dont think they work. We havent bombed our house for a long time and get the odd spider but just squish them and they gone. We had a baby huntsman that lived in the bathroom for a few weeks, he was always in the same spot, sure he must have gone wandering on a night but he wasnt bothering us so we left him. We get a fair few daddy long legs which we leave.

Guest ed999

1) The one outside in it's web is a 'Tent-Web Spider'.

2 & 3) The one with large front legs is a 'Small Black Ant-Mimicking Spider' - I have found a few of these inside and around the house outside.

4) Another huntsman. This fellow was above our bed.

331930_10150535230697816_804213266_o.jpg

419503_10150554995952816_2038509495_n.jpg

425772_10150554997627816_329828147_n.jpg

529564_10150634586317816_1392369850_n.jpg

Guest moonraker1959

Love the pics of the blue tongue!I used to have one as a pet when I was young.Lived in the back garden,and when it was feeding time,I wold tap a saucer on the verandah concrete and then here rustling of leaves and it would appear.Sooooo cute!

• 4 months later...
Guest Barney Rubble
I worry about the dog the most, I'm smart enough to stay away...he is likely to want to eat one...

Fair call too, our last dog kopped a spider bite, leg & paw swelled up big time, one vet said it was cancer & he was an old dog :swoon: but his normal vet said probably a spider then gave him anti-biotics, came good for another 3 years :cool: