OAA Justin Crescent, Christie Downs - anyone know the area?

Guest GIPSY

Guest GIPSY

Hi

We have just received notice that we have been granted OAA at Justin Crescent, Christie Downs - has anyone stayed here or does anyone know the area?

I have looked at the map book and it looks OK to me, but I do have limited knowledge...:unsure:

Cheers

Hayley

Guest countdown1975

Hiya,

Hope you don't mind me asking but when did you apply for your OAA and when are you going? We are going in August and sent ours off a few weeks ago and they said they were processing it but I know you don't hear until usually 3 weeks before and I know that is cutting it fine to find something else if it falls through.

Thansk Vicki :-)

Guest GIPSY

Hiya Vicki

We sent our request through end of Feb and we arrive on 5th June, which is exactly 4 weeks today. I know what you mean about cutting it fine, but we took the opinion that we would stay in holiday accomodation for a few weeks until we found a rental if we didn't get OAA.

Hope this helps and good luck

Hayley

Guest guest569

I have been and had a look at the street for an old member in your present situation. If my memory serves me right it was number 23. Area is ok. Close to all amenities. On the down side a train line right opposite so may be slightly noisy BUT at the OAA prices its a great start for 3-4 weeks to get you on your way.;) Give us a shout when you arrive as i'm only 15 mins away for a beer/coffee/wine.:chatterbox:

Guest GIPSY

Excellent, thanks so much

We just want it as a base until we secure a rental as we haven't even tried to secure one from the UK as we have two dogs. I just wanted to know that it was an OK and safe enough area as we have a 3 year old daughter.

Beer/ coffee/ wine - excellent, see you soon!

Cheers

Hayley

Hi Hayley, some friends of ours had a rental in Justin Cres. To be honest, it's not the nicest place in the world and as has been said you're opposite a train line. On the plus side, you will have Dennis and Renee a couple of doors down, almost certainly they will meet and greet you if you've applied for this and they will definitely kill you with kindness! Treat it as a base only and you'll do just fine.

Guest Mrs PHH

It's not the best suburb in SA but there's a great beach at Christies and all the amenities you need close at hand - I don't know about your dogs but our Ruby loves nothing better than a run on the beach and a paddle.

It's central for your explorations of the Southern suburbs and the McClaren Vale wine region which is always a good day out - you will need a car though.

This is only my opinion, but with car hire being so expensive, and there being no MOT's over here - it's almost worth buying an old junker that you can sell on. You can get an old car for $1000 that may be better value than spending dead money on a hire car. A quick tip for you, to buy a car you will need an Auusie driving licence, this is the easiest form of Aussie ID - for the ID you need something with a current address on. Again this is just a suggestion, we just got 1 SA driving licence with our rental address, so we could use it for ID. If you need more info about how to sort out an SA driving licence, pm me and I'll get some more info for you.

Check it out - any one else got any thoughts on this? the more opinions the better for GIPSY to make an informed decision.

Guest Trakki
A quick tip for you, to buy a car you will need an Auusie driving licence, this is the easiest form of Aussie ID - for the ID you need something with a current address on. Again this is just a suggestion, we just got 1 SA driving licence with our rental address, so we could use it for ID. If you need more info about how to sort out an SA driving licence, pm me and I'll get some more info for you.

You don't have to have an Aussie licence to buy a car, we got ours from a Mitshubishi garage and all we had to show was passport with visa in (as getting finance), english driving licence and proof of address which was in the form of a letter from the person we were renting from. Just though I would mention this so that you know you don't have to worry too much. You have 3 months to get your Aussie licence when you arrive.

On the down side a train line right opposite so may be slightly noisy BUT at the OAA prices its a great start for 3-4 weeks to get you on your way.;) Give us a shout when you arrive as i'm only 15 mins away for a beer/coffee/wine.:chatterbox:

I would say the train is a bonus, the last one is at midnight so its not like you will be up all night plus you can jump on go one stop one way and get to the noarlunga centre to do all your shopping or go the other way and go into the city to do all the boring stuff like medicare, TFN....saves the need to rush out and rent a car cos when your jetlagged thats the last thing you need.:SLEEP:

The 3yr old will be fine, it might look abit rough but i dont think you have to be worried..when we got OAA (glandore) we had a drunk living under us, shouting all sorts but the other neighbours were lovely...

Hope that helps

Jo:wubclub:

Guest Nick11

BTW I work in a child care centre there that offers occasional care. Might be an idea if you want to get things sorted in the city without the little un.

Guest doje6863
Hi

We have just received notice that we have been granted OAA at Justin Crescent, Christie Downs - has anyone stayed here or does anyone know the area?

I have looked at the map book and it looks OK to me, but I do have limited knowledge...:unsure:

Cheers

Hayley

Hi Gipsy. We stayed at 25 Justin Cres when we first got here 18 or so months ago. Ok. Its a very basic three bedroom bungalow on a quarter acre plot. We got here in September and we were freezing! There was no heating. The place hasnt been touched properly since it was built prob 40yrs ago to be honest with you. I certainly think it could do with a major refurb.Having said that, it was cheap and we secured another place withen three weeks. The railway was a nightmare, first train at about 5am.

On the plus point cheap, great transport connections:biglaugh: and at least you know when you land you have an address to go to for the first three months.

Im sure this has terrifed the life out of you and Im sorry, just felt you would want some honest feedback.

donna

Hi Gipsy,

I know the place well. I work with someone who stayed there a few months ago!

It's cheap and there are some good facilities like the Noarlunga centre nearby.

There are some really house proud people who live in Christie Downs and it's not my intention to run the place down. The government does a great job assisting new migrants. Also, I rent properties so there's maybe a motive for slating the place. Take a look at the house on google earth or google maps.

However, I have to share with you our experiences (and there are other people who rent properties like I do..... like Roo Rentals for example).

Here goes... my son in law grew up in a rough area and is street wise. He was looking at buying a home in Christie Downs as the property prices are within the budget. He changed his mind when his son was born and refuses to live there. If you didn't have kids.... I don't think it's the best start to your new life but if it's only for a while?

Guest SA Great

The place we stayed at when we first came over was an absolute dive, but it doesn't matter because you know that once you get settled you will have a much nicer house than you had in the UK (probably!) As long as its cheap and gives you a roof over your head you will be fine. You will be so excited looking around Adelaide and checking out all the new things around you that you won't worry about your accommodation. Good Luck with everything.

Guest sandar1

Gipsy please post when you are arriving, we have some properties also available. We are also going overseas for five weeks at the end of July so our personal properties are available too. Let me know if you are interested they are both in the city, fully furnished and walking distance to everything.

Sandra

Guest GIPSY

Hi Sandra

We arrive on Friday 5th June, but we have two dogs which is why we opted for OAA as not many places will accept dogs. We would like to be able to secure a rental for 6 months or so that accepts dogs, but I think I may struggle until we get there. It might be worth us accepting the OAA in the first instance as a short term solution, but if you think you can help, please let me know.

Thanks for getting in touch

Hayley

Guest sandar1

I have an apartment in a beautiful old Victorian Building, we do accept dogs in the one apartment which backs to the garden, it may suffice until you find somewhere else permanently. We have had a lot of other visitors who have been relocating to Adelaide stay with their pets. I do run the shop from there, so ask that while the shop is open that you either keep the dogs inside or if you take them out in the garden that they are supervised. The shop is open from 11.30am to 4.30pm Tuesday through Friday and then 10.00am to 2.00 on Saturday. The building intself is about 5 minutes walk from the South Parklands where you can let the dogs off the leash for a longer run.

The back garden is lovely to have a bar b q in and just sit out and chill. While the apartment doesn't have an stove it does have a kitchenette with microwave, toaster jug etcetera and dishes table and chairs etcetera you can cook on the barb just outside the back door, and also there are about 15 fantastic restaurants within 1 to 5 minutes.

From what I gather from one of the girls on POA who was staying in the other accomodation you were talking about, it is pretty horrible. Haven't seen it myself so can't comment.

The location of the Unley apartment is fantastic for you to get all the bits and pieces done that you need to do when you arrive, please give me a call so that we can discuss the apartment further or send me your telephone number and I will call you instead. 011 61 88 232 2121 or at the shop 011 61 88357 3093 I am not in the shop today.

Sandra

Guest GIPSY

Hi Sandra

Thanks so much for the offer, but I think we are now sorted. If anything changes I will be back in touch as I have to make my decision regarding OAA before the end of this week.

Thanks again, much appreciated

Hayley