Hallett Cove, Adelaide! Any opinions or advice??

Guest sutty77

Guest sutty77

Hi all

Looking at moving to Hallett Cove at end of September. We have 3 daughters aged 12, 10 and 1.

Just looking for opinions on the area, and what schooling is like round there, paticually R12 at Hallett Cove. Is it nice family area etc etc.

Thanks you in advance for your replies

Mandy

Guest soggy
Hi all

Looking at moving to Hallett Cove at end of September. We have 3 daughters aged 12, 10 and 1.

Just looking for opinions on the area, and what schooling is like round there, paticually R12 at Hallett Cove. Is it nice family area etc etc.

Thanks you in advance for your replies

Mandy

I am sure you will get replies to this as few on this forum live there, I have only had a quick look, it seems a very nice area, a bit hilly but this means lots of houses get ocean veiws, and the beach is not a sandy one but there are plenty of sandy beaches near by if its important to you, that is about all I know about the area but expect lots more detail soon.:)

Simon

I lived in Hallett Cove for 8 months back in 2005/2006.

I had experience of HC East Primary and the R-12......liked the primary school but wasnt too impressed with the R-12.....which is pretty much why we moved out of the area as didn't want my other kids to go there for High school...

Cheers

Lorraine

Guest DH23

Hi, yes it is a very nice family area. Friends of mine have kids at Hallett Cove R - 12 and are happy with it. Alternatively, in Australia, some people choose Catholic Education. These schools are not for Catholics only. They are popular because they are something between state schooling and private schooling. They are excellent on pastoral care and are subsidised by the government so are affordable. Another good thing is that they still recognise some spirituality and include RE as a subject dealing with all religions. There is a good Catholic school about 15 mins away from Hallett Cove.

Hi, yes it is a very nice family area. Friends of mine have kids at Hallett Cove R - 12 and are happy with it. Alternatively, in Australia, some people choose Catholic Education. These schools are not for Catholics only. They are popular because they are something between state schooling and private schooling. They are excellent on pastoral care and are subsidised by the government so are affordable. Another good thing is that they still recognise some spirituality and include RE as a subject dealing with all religions. There is a good Catholic school about 15 mins away from Hallett Cove.

Do you know what the nameof that Catholic school is?

Thanks

Mel

xx

Guest DH23

Yes, it's called Cardijn College and is Y8 - Y12. [Y8 is first year secondary or if you like, first year of middle school]. Antonio is the primary school at Morphett Vale. There are 2 local state schools at Hallett Cove as well. When are you coming?

Good luck

DH23

I lived in Hallett Cove for 8 months back in 2005/2006.

I had experience of HC East Primary and the R-12......liked the primary school but wasnt too impressed with the R-12.....which is pretty much why we moved out of the area as didn't want my other kids to go there for High school...

Cheers

Lorraine

The R12 has been in the back of my mind for a while...until now! The school has just had a change of head teacher and he is apparently very good. We were thinking of trying to get our kids into Brighton but now, ironically, it's Brighton that's getting the troublesome ones...and that's from the mouth of a teacher.

We've been in HC since December 2007 and wouldn't want to live anywhere else but everyone is different. We like the houses, the shops, the views, schools (now) and the proximity to transport and good beaches. I'd love to live in Brighton or Seacliff but it's too expensive!

J.

Yes, it's called Cardijn College and is Y8 - Y12. [Y8 is first year secondary or if you like, first year of middle school]. Antonio is the primary school at Morphett Vale. There are 2 local state schools at Hallett Cove as well. When are you coming?

Good luck

DH23

Thanks for that i will have a good look. We are hoping to come at the beginning of September all being well. We have a CO and all items have now gone to met so hopefully not long till we get our visa:v_SPIN:

Mx

The R12 has been in the back of my mind for a while...until now! The school has just had a change of head teacher and he is apparently very good. We were thinking of trying to get our kids into Brighton but now, ironically, it's Brighton that's getting the troublesome ones...and that's from the mouth of a teacher.

We've been in HC since December 2007 and wouldn't want to live anywhere else but everyone is different. We like the houses, the shops, the views, schools (now) and the proximity to transport and good beaches. I'd love to live in Brighton or Seacliff but it's too expensive!

J.

It's amazing what a change of head can do isn't it. Are you now going to have a look at the R12?

It would be really interesting to know your thoughts.

Mx

J.

My daughter was there from Nov 2005-June 2006...so a while ago now.

I wasn't impressed for a number of reasons really.....the help given to her to settle wasnt good....but then should they?....well seeing as they now have a buddy system to help with all the immigrant children.....my guess is, the penny dropped at some point that they should be assisting these kids more..

The other thing that happened was IMO worse. When she started there in Nov 2005, it was at the end of Year 10. She then chose all her subjects,as near to what she had done in the UK as possible, for Year 11 to commence in Jan 2006. Started back then, only to be told, that the demand for most of her subject choices was low, so wont be running those classes. So was dumped into subject classes, completey out of her depth....

So...kind of put me off really....

My daughter was there from Nov 2005-June 2006...so a while ago now.

I wasn't impressed for a number of reasons really.....the help given to her to settle wasnt good....but then should they?....well seeing as they now have a buddy system to help with all the immigrant children.....my guess is, the penny dropped at some point that they should be assisting these kids more..

The other thing that happened was IMO worse. When she started there in Nov 2005, it was at the end of Year 10. She then chose all her subjects,as near to what she had done in the UK as possible, for Year 11 to commence in Jan 2006. Started back then, only to be told, that the demand for most of her subject choices was low, so wont be running those classes. So was dumped into subject classes, completey out of her depth....

So...kind of put me off really....

In your opinion what schools do you think are worth having a look at.

This info is really helpful to us waiting to make the move over and need to consider schools. i am still looking at different areas and schools is obviously quite important.

Mx

My kids go to Reynella East Primary & High School.

My eldest went to Reynella High School after leaving the R-12....and there was so much more on offer for her.....but sadly, within a few weeks was taken ill with Glandular Fever and was off for weeks....when she went back, she was so far behind...(bearing in mind she had lost many months at the R-12 on top of this)...that she gave up on school.....The doc did advise me that the stress of the move...the school issues etc, probably contributed to her illness....

So you can imagine as parents, how we felt, can't you?

Anyway, enough of that!

My other daughter is now at the High school and we are very pleased with it...but they are very strict about you living in the zone...there was a huge waiting list for the current year 8 that started in January.

But you have expressed an interest in catholic schools......i have met lots of kids/parents that go to Cardign...and all seem to be pleased. Only know one that has been taken out....

It;s so hard with schools, as everyone's needs/opinions etc are different...all i can do is go by my experience..

good luck

lorraine

x

Nothing against Hallett Cove per se (honest!!) but just curious if you have never been there - which I admit is an assumption I am making from the wording of your post so apologies if I'm wrong - why, out of all the suburbs of Adelaide you are so fixed on there? Do you know where you or the OH will be working and is HC the nearest place? If not, I highly recommend waiting till you get out here and looking all around, finding out where you will be working, and then checking out schools within a fairly short commuting distance from there. There is no hurry to get the kids into school straight away when you arrive, and just from a purely personal point of view, if I or my OH was going to be working in the East, or the North, or the North East of Adelaide, HC would be too far to travel on a daily basis! Some people get here and it's everything they want, some people get here thinking it's going to be, take a look at the place and it doesn't suit them at all. Everyone is different so please don't make a decision based on someone else's opinion, take your time and choose what suits you as a family best!

Nothing against Hallett Cove per se (honest!!) but just curious if you have never been there - which I admit is an assumption I am making from the wording of your post so apologies if I'm wrong - why, out of all the suburbs of Adelaide you are so fixed on there? Do you know where you or the OH will be working and is HC the nearest place? If not, I highly recommend waiting till you get out here and looking all around, finding out where you will be working, and then checking out schools within a fairly short commuting distance from there. There is no hurry to get the kids into school straight away when you arrive, and just from a purely personal point of view, if I or my OH was going to be working in the East, or the North, or the North East of Adelaide, HC would be too far to travel on a daily basis! Some people get here and it's everything they want, some people get here thinking it's going to be, take a look at the place and it doesn't suit them at all. Everyone is different so please don't make a decision based on someone else's opinion, take your time and choose what suits you as a family best!

I'm not sure if you are refering to me??

But if you are, i'm not focusing on one area at all, as i said in my last post, i'm still researcing loads of areas and have looked at areas in all directions from Adelaide, and am still none the wiser as to where we will end up. But schools within those areas are very important to me. It's not too much of a problem for me where we live in distance to anywhere as i will be working from home anyway, but i totally agree with you and i know that i'm going to be spending the first few weeks looking around loads of areas to see what we like best for us.

I am not going to base what i end up doing on other people's opinions, but i don't think it really hurts getting all of the advice thats going and theres no harm in asking questions. If you have an area that you think is worth a look too, then please let me know!!!!!

Mx

Guest Libby1971

Just to take issue with something that was said earlier, Catholic education IS private education. The legislation in Australia regarding education is that RE cannot be taught at any state school as a discrete subject so you won't find a RC school or a CofE state one. Any religious school is a private school. What differs is the scale of their fees and the support structures put in place by the management of the school. Scotch College have a very high reputation as a place fo academic excellence but they also have the highest fees of any school in Adelaide. However, I have done some teaching, even if only relief teaching, in both state and private schools. I really like Aberfoyle Park High and Reynella East High. I like some of the private schools and I have heard and good and bad about state and private schools in Adelaide.

One of the things that I have heard about the HC R12 school is that it was too slow in responding to the influx of students from the UK and allowed situations to develop such as an us vs them mentality

Guest Libby1971

Norwood, otskirts of glenelg, henley beach, north adelaide, burnside.................all a bit on the pricey side though!

Nah, don't think so :nah:. Houses maybe, schools possibly but not enough to sacrifice what I have here

One of the things that I have heard about the HC R12 school is that it was too slow in responding to the influx of students from the UK and allowed situations to develop such as an us vs them mentality

Very interesting you should mention this Libby.....forgot that one on my earlier thread and it has reminded me....My daughter had experience of that as well! First day at school followed home by some girls and endured some rather nasty taunts....

I'm not sure if you are refering to me??

Mx

Hi Mel

Sorry, I was referring to the OP's original question. Good on you for keeping an open mind. I always hesitate to respond to posts such as these as don't want to offend anyone living anywhere (!) but I have read posts on here from people in the past who say they made choices based on a few people's opinions other than their own and it always makes my heart sink when someone seems to have picked one suburb above all others before having a good check out of the place from their own viewpoint!

Good luck with it all anyway!

Diane

It's amazing what a change of head can do isn't it. Are you now going to have a look at the R12?

It would be really interesting to know your thoughts.

Mx

Definitely - my son still has 1.5 years left at Hallett Cove East Primary but the R12 now makes perfect sense for us...plus it's within walking distance from our house, on Coorabie.

J.