Mount Barker

MacLeods

Hi, We are interested in living in Mount Barker, Can anyone living there :confused: let me know what it’s like, as in are there a good selection of restaurants, cinema and general things to do? Does it have a commercial district? I have a 14 month old son and also wondered about the nursery situation as I have heard that there are sometimes long wait lists. Finally how long does it take to get to the CBD and is it a pleasant enough drive or a journey you wouldn't recommend as a commute, oh sorry also is there a rail link ?? Many thanks Michelle

Guest dglamoore

Not been myslef but there are a couple of members on here that live in Mount Barker so I am sure they will be able to help more :rolleyes:

Here are a couple of sites that may give you more info -

http://www.adhills.com.au/tourism/towns/mountbarker/

http://www.dcmtbarker.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm

http://www.about-australia.com/south-australia/adelaide-hills/destinations/mount-barker/

http://www.cpasa.asn.au/newspapers/newspapers/mount_barker.htm

Lisa:cool:

Guest Roo1

Hey Lisa....is there anything about Adelaide you don't know?

I think you are secretly Holly from Red Dwarf ( the girly one of course) ;)

J x

Guest dale_jo@

Hi There,

We have friends who live in Mt Barker-Nairne The suburb nxt door. They love it & I must say when we visit it is a lovely place to be, A bit cold though! The local facilities they say are great, has a country feel to it but only a stone throw to the freeway to take you intop the city!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Zippy

G'day Michelle,

Mt Barker a few years ago was considered a country town. Then a lot of people started moving there for reasons like: being closer to the country, wanting cheaper housing, wanting large land for the children, sick of the city rush.

Now, there is the older, traditional part of Mt Barker, and then there is a lot of new development around the edges. (Not bad development, just simply growing). More schools, child-care centres (nurseries), shops and restaurants have been built to cater for the demand. Mt Barker is also close to a very popular, German heritage, town called Hahndorf, which is great for some little trips.

When you say "commercial district", it isn't anything like Wall Street or even Adelaide's main roads for that matter :P, but you will find a few "main road" areas where the big shops and businesses are congregated.

There are certainly some long waiting lists in Adelaide for child-care centres, especially if one is seeking a community (public) one. I'm not sure about the situation in Mt Barker and I'd recommend starting enquiries before you come. (For a public one, try to phone the education department, for a private one like ABC Child-care, try to search online).

Finally, the commute into Adelaide is pretty easy. About a 40 minute - 60 minute drive depending on traffic and time of day. The freeway is relatively new and quite safe if you keep your speed moderate. It is built smack bang through the middle of some hills so the views are nice. Just watch out for fog, especially in early winter, as it can be so bad sometimes that you can't see past a few metres infront of you. There aren't any rail lines from Mt Barker to Adelaide but there are some occasional buses for just a few $'s return trip.

Cheers,

Elise

G'day Michelle,

Mt Barker a few years ago was considered a country town. Then a lot of people started moving there for reasons like: being closer to the country, wanting cheaper housing, wanting large land for the children, sick of the city rush.

Now, there is the older, traditional part of Mt Barker, and then there is a lot of new development around the edges. (Not bad development, just simply growing). More schools, child-care centres (nurseries), shops and restaurants have been built to cater for the demand. Mt Barker is also close to a very popular, German heritage, town called Hahndorf, which is great for some little trips.

When you say "commercial district", it isn't anything like Wall Street or even Adelaide's main roads for that matter :P, but you will find a few "main road" areas where the big shops and businesses are congregated.

There are certainly some long waiting lists in Adelaide for child-care centres, especially if one is seeking a community (public) one. I'm not sure about the situation in Mt Barker and I'd recommend starting enquiries before you come. (For a public one, try to phone the education department, for a private one like ABC Child-care, try to search online).

Finally, the commute into Adelaide is pretty easy. About a 40 minute - 60 minute drive depending on traffic and time of day. The freeway is relatively new and quite safe if you keep your speed moderate. It is built smack bang through the middle of some hills so the views are nice. Just watch out for fog, especially in early winter, as it can be so bad sometimes that you can't see past a few metres infront of you. There aren't any rail lines from Mt Barker to Adelaide but there are some occasional buses for just a few $'s return trip.

Cheers,

Elise

Thanks for all the info, a lot of my questions answered..one of the reasons we are looking at mount barker as a potential place is the visa we have applied for,495, which only allows us to buy property as a foreign investor and we can only buy a new build. Mount Barker has some decent sized plots in our budget and the location looked pretty nice. We have a short list of places that we will definitely check out on arrival Aldinga Beach being another one although it doesn't seem to have the same infrastructure, the only down side to these locations in the travel distance to Adelaide CBD and we really want to have more quality time as a family and a potential 2 hours out of my day does not really appeal.

I think there will have to be a compromise I guess you can’t have it all...........

thanks again

Guest Zippy

Sure thing. By the way, there are sometimes new land releases in locations which are a bit closer to the city, eg in mid southern suburbs. Cheers, Elise

Guest soggy
Thanks for all the info, a lot of my questions answered..one of the reasons we are looking at mount barker as a potential place is the visa we have applied for,495, which only allows us to buy property as a foreign investor and we can only buy a new build. Mount Barker has some decent sized plots in our budget and the location looked pretty nice. We have a short list of places that we will definitely check out on arrival Aldinga Beach being another one although it doesn't seem to have the same infrastructure, the only down side to these locations in the travel distance to Adelaide CBD and we really want to have more quality time as a family and a potential 2 hours out of my day does not really appeal.

I think there will have to be a compromise I guess you can’t have it all...........

thanks again

I believe you don't have to by a new property on a SIR 495, unless it is for investment, if it is for your main residence you can buy any house, any property you buy you have to get permission from the FIRB at http://www.firb.gov.au/ , I am going for this visa and this is how I understand things.

Simon

Guest dglamoore

You are right Simon - On an SIR 495 you can buy any existing property to live in as your main dwelling as long as it is from an Australian citizen and you are granted FIRB approval. If you wish to buy a second property as an investment this must be a new build. :)

Lisa:cool: