OAA rental charges

Rich & Chit

We will probably be coming out in a couple of months and are having to think about accomodation rentals. We are on a 475 visa so would be entitled to the OAA offered by SA gov. Question is it worh it? Is the rent they charge much lower than the open market rate, can somebody offer any figures. I know its a gamble as some of the accomodation may not be in the most desirable areas, and for a little extra it might be better looking for a rental through an agent. Any advice would be appreciated.

Rich and Chit, we are in the same sitution as you, just waitng for our house to be sold so we can also emigrate on a State Sponsorship 475 Visa. But my family and I are definitely taking up the AOA. They provide everything for the first 12 weeks you arrive in Adelaide and even provide you with a greeting buddy who will help you out during this 12 week period. Its really cheap rent, so straight away you are not delving into your savings. It will provide you with the chance to have a look around the areas. Rental costs depend upon the location, size and age of the property, but generally range between $140 and $300 per week (subject to change). Rent includes the cost of water, electricity and gas.

Have a look at this link below it will provide you with some important information about AOA.

http://http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/centric/migrate_from_overseas/on_arrival_services/on_arrival_public_accommodation.jsp

Hi Boxertony, sounds like you're probably right. I checked out the link on the SA migration site, the rent does sound good especially when it includes your utility bills. Just need to take blankets or sleeping bags. At leasts they are furnished and gives time to look for suitable long term rentals. Not sure if you can request specific locations, just pot luck i presume.

Cheers

I assume you can request but obviously does not mean you can have that area. What I am aware of is that the area's they give you tend to be near schools, amenities, bus and train routes. I dont know about you, but over the years here in England I have lived in some bad areas, especially when I first left home and I have found out if you keep yourself to yourself then you will be fine or even better befriend the bad guys. In my opinion behind closed doors everybody is in the same position. I cannot see the area's where OAA are - being worse than some areas in your local town.

That saying you pay for what you get and what you gain for the very cheap rental price of OAA how can anyone grumble. A most popular thread on here is where are the best places to live etc, and what schoos are the best etc. For me I am not interested in that yet I will wait till I get OAA and then look for decent schools in that area and then search places to live after the first 12 weeks, unless we have to move to be nearer to a job etc.

I am not taking that much money with me due to house prices dropping, so OAA is a god send for my family and I.

We paid $200/week in our OAA in Glandore almost opposite the tram station

It was fine for the money and due to its position helped us settle in quickly although we were glad to move out

you can see some photos of the place at http://mickpell.blogspot.com/2009/03/adelaide-last.html

it was very basic but all bills included which made it easier on the finances for the first couple of months

cheers

mick

Guest Libby1971

I think your reasoning is sound.

When we came over, we decided to apply for OAA as we thought it would give us a cheap base while we recovered and sorted out details and long term accommodation. We asked for Onkaparinga Council area, about 20-30 mins south of the city as we have 2 children, one of whom was 10 at the time.

We were placed off Anzac Highway, one the biggest roads on offer in Adelaide. Great for the tram, city and beach. No park, no schools, no washing machine in the unit (prev visitors had nicked it) and all washing machines etc were in the laundry where they were chained to the walls and the floor.

If I could change anything about the last 2 years, that is the one thing that I would change. We had been talking for years about how this move was a better one for all our family...and within seconds of moving in, my eldest was moving a chest of drawers across the door from outside that opened straight into her room.

It was a sh*t start, and I should have paid the extra to get a proper furnished rental for my children that was a nice start to our new life in Oz.

If I could change anything about the last 2 years, that is the one thing that I would change. We had been talking for years about how this move was a better one for all our family...and within seconds of moving in, my eldest was moving a chest of drawers across the door from outside that opened straight into her room.

It was a sh*t start, and I should have paid the extra to get a proper furnished rental for my children that was a nice start to our new life in Oz.

I know what you mean. We had OAA in a suburb north of the CBD and had it not been for the fact that we'd had a recce here the year earlier, we'd have wondered just what the hell we'd done by making the move. There was a car burnt out right outside our unit on one night (and I mean just a few feet from the window), the guy in the unit opposite was arrested - after quite a struggle - in a police raid on another occasion, there were hoons screaming past night after night and at all hours, lots of break-ins to nearby propeties and a few guys would hide round the corner from the ATM on the main road and pester people who withdrew money. There were clear signs of drugs and generally the neighbourhood felt like it had been intimidated.

I've not had a sheltered life and was brought up on a council estate in Manchester, so it was nothing I haven't seen before, but nontheless we didn't move to the other side of the world to have that sort of experience - especially with a toddler in tow.

Many people have a good experience in OAA, and it's certainly a cheap way to start off, but it's pot-luck what you're going to get. Migrating is stressful enough as it is, and for anyone who's riddled with doubts about whether they're doing the right thing, a bad OAA could be a real sour start.

Good luck whatever you choose. Jim

We had OAA - cost $180 per week for a large 3 bed (that could have slept 6). It was simple accomodation but well located and near to beach/ shops/ trains etc. For the time you are there (max 12 weeks) I couldnt recommend anything better! Its cheap, it has everything you need and there is no way you can go out and buy all the things you need in the first couple of days. Mostly because you won't have transport and you won't know where to go. Plus you'll be jetlagged. The last thing you'll want to be doing is shopping for saucepans and plates! I've heard good things about other OAA too. You may as well apply and see if you get anything. Only 60% of applicants get anything and priority is given to those with children. If you are lucky and get somewhere, see if it is in a location you think will be suitable. If not, then don't take it. If it is, check it out on Google and ask people on the forum what the place is like. You have nothing to lose!

I am sure when the time comes we will apply for OAA. We have 2 small children so a safe area is top priority for me. But like previous postings say we will know the area before we fly so can ask on this forum about the area. A good book we have just purchased is 'Where to live guides' Adelaide. It's quite useful - gives a short profile of 215 suburbs of the city. Briefly gives an overview of the area, history, who lives there (in general not individuals LOL), employment, where to shop, schools etc. Very useful guide. I am sure i've seen it mentioned on this forum. Would recommend it.