Newport Quay.. any advice?

Guest Lisajonesey

Guest Lisajonesey

Hello again!

Yes, we're still house hunting!!!

There seems to be a lot of rentals in Newport quay, so I thought I'd ask you lot if you had any advise on this area....

The rental write up says there's a train to the city which takes 20 mins, but I've also heard that there might be a few undesirables living there.. (apologies if you live there and I've got it wrong!)

We're just looking to get something decent for our money and need to get into the city reletivley easily, and not be stuck on a train for hours, and have the same rubbish commute as we did in the UK.

Thanks for your help!

Lisa & Rich

Guest Rob and Clare

This is just my ill informed opinion.....

I think the housing downturn hit the development pretty hard and many people who purchased apartments for rent and now renting out to anyone they can for some income, maybe it's possible to negotiate an better rate of rent.

As for the area it's good, it's right next to port adelaide, the price of which is average for adelaide (many people on this site live in areas below average and they love their areas, so logically it can't be bad). I've not been to newport quays of an evening to know what it's like, but port adelaide is good, from rough and ready pubs, to trendy boutique bars, apparently the Birkinhead tavern has been upgraded and as been recommended to me a few times recently. The train line is good and it's a nice run to the city. Can't beat this part of the city though for location, nearly everything you could want is less than 15 mins away, soccer stadium, entertainment centre, thebarton theatre, dragon boat racing, beach, footy part for AFL, west lakes shopping, port adelaide, and of course the CBD.

Depending on your budget and what your looking for, look at some rentals at Mawson Lakes, there are a number of apartments for rent, the train run is only 10 mins fro the city on the express and at peak times run every 10 mins, there's also a good bus service, plus some decent places to eat and drink in the town centre. You are though further from the beach at semaphore 10 - 15 mins depending which side of the town you are on.