Rental Furnished / Unfurnished????

Guest covfan71

Guest covfan71

Hi guys,

we wil be over next year and what is bothering me is how do people manage their furniture. We will be renting for the first 6 months to test the water before we make a decision to buy. The question is, do we rent unfurnished or furnished. I would hope to have a rental all sorted for when we arrive but obviously our furniture won't be available to move in straight away. if we go for a furnished house and after 3 weeks or so our furniture turns up, what do we do?? what have other people done?

Would appreciate some personal scenarios please.

One last thing, does anyone know if the family has to enter the country together or can i come out a week early. (that could solve a few probems)

Cheers

RIP Michael Jackson

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi guys

You can arrive seperately no problem, as long as you are all within your validation period.

We rented unfurnished, our container arrived 13 weeks into our arrival. During that time we begged and borrowed from people we knew. Peeps on here will always help you out with the essentials if you post what you need.

Not worth renting furnished particularly if your container will follow shortly after you. Other option is, rent a furnished apartment, some people on here used the Midway Apts in Kurralta Park around $400 per week I think, although they are small and not particularly great, but might do you for 2/3 weeks.

We have some stuff we are able to lend out to new arrivals, like airbeds and stuff, and so do lots of other PIA members. Dont worry too much about it, that will be the least of your worries once you have touched down!!!

Mandy

Guest covfan71
Hi guys

You can arrive seperately no problem, as long as you are all within your validation period.

We rented unfurnished, our container arrived 13 weeks into our arrival. During that time we begged and borrowed from people we knew. Peeps on here will always help you out with the essentials if you post what you need.

Not worth renting furnished particularly if your container will follow shortly after you. Other option is, rent a furnished apartment, some people on here used the Midway Apts in Kurralta Park around $400 per week I think, although they are small and not particularly great, but might do you for 2/3 weeks.

We have some stuff we are able to lend out to new arrivals, like airbeds and stuff, and so do lots of other PIA members. Dont worry too much about it, that will be the least of your worries once you have touched down!!!

Mandy

Mandy, thanks. It's making sure the kids are ok i suppose. Saying that's it the least of our worries is frightening.

Hi guys,

we wil be over next year and what is bothering me is how do people manage their furniture. We will be renting for the first 6 months to test the water before we make a decision to buy. The question is, do we rent unfurnished or furnished. I would hope to have a rental all sorted for when we arrive but obviously our furniture won't be available to move in straight away. if we go for a furnished house and after 3 weeks or so our furniture turns up, what do we do?? what have other people done?

Would appreciate some personal scenarios please.

One last thing, does anyone know if the family has to enter the country together or can i come out a week early. (that could solve a few probems)

I have been out here for a fortnight, ahead of the family - means I have a good idea of the lie of the land, car bought, rentals to view sorted, job sussed, medicare, TFNs, bank accounts done good idea of city layout, schools, time to get a lot of things done without the collective family jetlag and a lot of the tedious admin done, more time to give the kids a really good intro plus easy pickup from the airport, no worries about taxis, luggage etc.

Downside? missing the family bigtime, some stress for wife who packed up a lot of the house when I was away.

No probs with the visa, as long as primary visa holder is in first.

To give yourself flexibility about your furniture, check with each quoter how much storage is in Oz: they vary by a HUGE amount (literally thousands of bucks.....) - they normally charge handling for unpacking your container and a storage rate.

PS first store you will encounter on leaving the airport? IKEA......

Pies

Guest colclare

Hi there

We rented some furniture from these people www.argusfurniturerentals.com.au

They will rent individual items or do you a package, and they deliver to your home and as soon as your container is about to turn up you give them a yell and they come pick up the stuff, problem solved.

Its basic stuff, but cheap and very convienient.

If you e-mail them , they will give you prices.

Cheers Colin