Help! OAA address just been given

Guest craigf

Guest craigf

We have just been given our OAA address and it's in Surrey Downs - looking at it on Google maps it looks awful (there's about 5 trees right in front of the window). Does anyone know this area. I'm really worried about taking this accomodation as I've heard so many bad things about OAA property.

We have been looking at renting longer term to see if we can set something up from here before we arrive but we arrive on 27th July so not much time and we know nothing about the renting system over there. Can anyone help?

If we have to take this property does anyone know this area?

thanks in advance.

Amanda, Craig & Co

Guest Brummie

Hi Craig and Amanda You haven't said the address, but Surrey Downs isn't that bad, my sister lives there, and we aren't that far from there, we live in Golden Grove. I would take the house, at least you will have somewhere to go when you get here. Even if it's only short term. You won't have to worry about not having anything orgainised and nowhere to sleep. You can always look around once you get here. If you would like I will call around when you arrive and welcome you to Oz. Could show your wife where the grocery shops are and things like that. Guess you haven't sorted out schools yet, by the looks of the ages of your kids they will both be in High School. If you want me to come please pm me and I will send my phone number to you. Will be able to show you the schools in the area too.

Rita

Guest lastboyscout

Surrey Downs is a nice area, especially if you have been given the oppurtunity of OAA, I`d take it with both hands as it`ll give you a good base to work from :)

I cannot believe you are moaning about a few trees !!!!!

Guest salisbury massive

There is nothing wrong with Surrey Downs, you have to use this OAA for what it is, bloody cheap accomodation for 12 weeks. Both me and lastboy scout live locally and its a decent suburb. You're not buying the house, just renting.

There are good schools locally, I'd try and get into golden Grove hgh School, its standards are slightly better than Banksia Park which is your zone. Its well placed for nearly the largest shopping centre in the North East, public transort links are excellent and you have medicare office and the Car Registration Office for licences and car registration.

there is plenty for the kids to do, swimming, soccer, cinema etc and all the shops you could wish for. Lots of local car sellers etc.

Really, there isn't a problem unless of course you are allergic to trees :biglaugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrey_Downs,_South_Australia

http://www.myhome.com.au/buy/sa/adelaide-north-east/surrey-downs/house/p000w1gs/

http://www.myhome.com.au/buy/sa/adelaide-north-east/surrey-downs/house/p000usug/

http://www.myhome.com.au/buy/sa/adelaide-north-east/surrey-downs/house/p000o9yl/

http://www.goldengrovehs.sa.edu.au/edweb/gg.school

http://www.bpihs.sa.edu.au/index.php?page=1

Jo

If your son happens to have been born in 1995 and likes playing soccer, I see on their recent newsletter that the Tea Tree Gully Soccer Club still have some vacancies for players for this season. It's a great club, fees are very low (especially compared to some!) and as we're part way through the season here already, it's a good opportunity for your lad to meet some new people and make some new friends rather than waiting till next year's season. Most of the other clubs will already have their teams fixed by now so he wouldn't be able to join at this stage, but as I say, the newsletter from TTGSC says they stillk have some slots for 1995-ers! That's assuming he likes soccer of course...if not, no worries, just thought I'd mention it!

Send me a PM if you want contact names/numbers

Guest MarkIngram
We have just been given our OAA address and it's in Surrey Downs - looking at it on Google maps it looks awful (there's about 5 trees right in front of the window). Does anyone know this area. I'm really worried about taking this accomodation as I've heard so many bad things about OAA property.

We have been looking at renting longer term to see if we can set something up from here before we arrive but we arrive on 27th July so not much time and we know nothing about the renting system over there. Can anyone help?

If we have to take this property does anyone know this area?

thanks in advance.

Amanda, Craig & Co

we applied for OAA about 2 weeks ago now...we arrive in Adelaide on 29th Oct (so about 14 weeks before we arrive).....how long did you have to wait to hear about your OAA address? I'm trying to look for backup options as well...emailed a few agents but so far been a little annoyed by the lack of response so if anyone knows of any agents that are good, then that would be a great help also.

Many thanks

Mark

Guest craigf
we applied for OAA about 2 weeks ago now...we arrive in Adelaide on 29th Oct (so about 14 weeks before we arrive).....how long did you have to wait to hear about your OAA address? I'm trying to look for backup options as well...emailed a few agents but so far been a little annoyed by the lack of response so if anyone knows of any agents that are good, then that would be a great help also.

Many thanks

Mark

Hello Mark.

We had confirmation of our accomodation exactly six weeks before we were due to arrive and an email 3 weeks before we were due to arrive to give is the address.

We have also found that agents are not good at getting back to us.

If we can help with anthing else, just ask.

Regards

Craig.

Guest MarkIngram
Hello Mark.

We had confirmation of our accomodation exactly six weeks before we were due to arrive and an email 3 weeks before we were due to arrive to give is the address.

We have also found that agents are not good at getting back to us.

If we can help with anthing else, just ask.

Regards

Craig.

Hi Craig

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I'll keep plugging away with the agents etc as a back up. At least I've sorted something out though...I've got myself sorted out with a football team to play for next season ;) (got my priorities straight....lol)

Mark

Guest craigf

Hi All.

I think from one or two of the replies that I haven't explained myself correctly. I am not complaining, I just wanted to see the house propely and I can't for the trees. I love the fact that there are trees there, I like the sound of the area and I am so excited about living in Australia that I would sleep in a tent. The reason for my post was that we don't know any of the areas and we had some people tell us that the on arrival accomodation was of a poor standard so we just wanted to find out what other people felt and use the power of the forum.

We realise it is cheap accomodation and we are not complaining, honest :)

Thank you all very mch for your assistance, the more help we can get the better.

Regards

Craig.

Guest lastboyscout

Oooooohhhhhh now you`ve explained yourself .............:biglaugh:

Surrey Downs is a nice area with some other really nice areas around it, will you be working in the N.East of Adelaide ? Were you hoping to settle around the Surrey Downs area?

Plenty of stuff for the kids to do, Water World is nearby and there are a plethora of shops and loads of other stuff, and the city is about 20 mins away and so are the beaches :)

And the people are mighty friendly up here as long as you don`t stare at their webbed hands and feet :biglaugh:

PM me the address and I`ll go and inspect the place and case out the neighbours !!!

Guest TRIMIX

We were given OAA assistance less than a week before we arrived and with three children it was a god send very cheap, clean. Not much to look at but done the job very well. Reminded me of an Terrace House back in the UK. Neighbours were great, arrival assistance was great taxi there also. Housing association good. You would be mad to knock it back and pay at least three times as much for something for a very short time. It will give you chance to get out an have a look before you settle on a rental that could be in the wrong place for you. Just relax and enjoy.

Guest salisbury massive
Hi All.

I think from one or two of the replies that I haven't explained myself correctly. I am not complaining, I just wanted to see the house propely and I can't for the trees. I love the fact that there are trees there, I like the sound of the area and I am so excited about living in Australia that I would sleep in a tent. The reason for my post was that we don't know any of the areas and we had some people tell us that the on arrival accomodation was of a poor standard so we just wanted to find out what other people felt and use the power of the forum.

We realise it is cheap accomodation and we are not complaining, honest :)

Thank you all very mch for your assistance, the more help we can get the better.

Regards

Craig.

I was joking about the trees.:)

Look the fact of the matter is OAA is very very basic accomodation. Someone i know had one in Golden Grove and I thought it was sparce. There won't be a TV either, or radio. It will come with somewhere to sleep, somewhere to eat and somewhere to sit. Surrey Downs is a great starting point, its not near any beaches though, Semaphore is about 40 minutes drive away, You get 3 months to enroll the kids in school so if you are hoping to be by the beach maybe you should hold off renting in the North East and have a look down south. The main thing about OAA is you've got a place to rest your weary, world wind heads at the end of the day, which isn't costing you much money. Moving is such a complete trauma, emotionally and physically having Oaa, however sparce is one less thing to worry about. If you want, PM me the address and I'll go and take some photos and email them to you, I did that for the people at Golden Grove.

PS, bring coat hangers. There won't be any of those either.

Jo

Guest craigf

hi everyone.

Thanks to everyone for all your advice it has made us feel more confident about Oaa. We are now leaving for the airport so we're in the middle of goodbyes. For me this is the hardest bit. Anyway guys thanks again and maybe we'll see each other.

Craig & co