Good family neighbourhoods?

Guest The Morleys

Guest The Morleys

Hi all, I'm new to poms in adelaide, I've been offered a job at the Royal Adelaide Hospital (I'm a nurse) and will be coming over in Jan 2010. I am married and have an 8 year old daughter.

I am trying to find a nice neighbourhood that is within 30minutes drive from the R.A.H with good schools and reasonably priced housing.

We will be renting to start with - could anyone tell me roughly how much a 3 bed would be per month?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, and it would be nice to make a few friends before we move as we know no-one in Australia!!!

Thanks

Nina

if anyone wants to email me direct my email address is ninamorley@googlemail.com

Guest karyn1

Hi Nina,

Can't help you on the info on Adelaide as Im not there yet but hoping to be not long after you! What visa are you getting? We are going on a 176 hubby is carpenter, I'm registerd childminder here and hpoing to do same there! Where are you looking to live in Adelaide? You never know we could bump into each other - especially if you work in A & E - knowing my kids!

Guest The Morleys

Hi Karyn,

we're going over on a 475 (4 year tempory) visa - the hospital have offered me a 1 year contract initially and are sponsoring my visa - I would have prefered a full residential visa, but they take much longer and I just want to get to Oz ASAP!

My Husband is a Tradesman to he is a qualified plumber and plasterer over here....do you know whether it is easy to convert his UK qualifications to ones recognised in Oz....how has your hubby done it with his?

How old are you kids? I've got a little girl, she'll be nearly 9 when we move.

I'm not sure where abouts in Adelaide we are going to live, I've never been, so I have posted a couple of threads asking people to recommend good places...it's quite scary moving to the other side of the world and not knowing where is good to live and which area's are rough because they all look so lovely!!! If you find out please let me know.

It'd be good to keep in touch, we could maybe meet up when we are all down under!!!

Guest kangomik

Rent first and then find an area that you like. You may settle in an area you never imagined. There are few rough areas. People at work will soon fill you in.

I have seen people buy a house here while still in the UK, how i will never know. There are so many things you have to look for.

Price for rental 300 per week will get you something, around 375 per week will get you something nice, about 450 to 500 should see you in a mansion of some form!

You may want to wait before buying, just to make sure that visa goes through ok.

Guest karyn1

Hi Nina! My hubby is doing his vetasses skills test, which basically tells your future employer that you qualified and skilled in your area of work. I'm sure our agent mentioned something about plumbers sometimes having to do a top up course to bring qualifications up to the same level as Oz ones? Im sure someone on here can fill you in on that! Good luck X

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Nina

Blackwood is a great area, but I would say that, I live here!! Within 30 mins drive of RAH, lots of local amenities, sports centres, shops, library etc etc. Primary schools in and immediately around Blackwood (5 mins by car) are good and have excellent facilities. Immediate surrounding areas of Blackwood are Hawthorndene, Glenalta, Eden Hills, Bellevue Heights, Belair, Coromandel Valley. Lovely up here in the hills as you get the gorgeous views of the coastline and city on your way down Shepherds Hill Road to work!!! Makes you appreciate how beautiful Adelaide is.

Anyway, just a thought, am sure you will get lots more opinions from people who love where they live just as much as I do!!!!

Good luck and many congrats on the job. Go girl!!

Mandy

Hi Nina - I would say find a short term rental and drive, drive, drive as soon as you get here, for us we knew when we arrived in the area where we wanted to be. We are from Donnie, are both nurses and have been here 2 years now. Its very different to Bessacar - we love it here. We have 2 boys aged 5 and nearly 8. Did you work at the DRI??? Andy worked at Pinderfields and I worked at Pontefract.

Lindsey

Guest nurse sue

Hi nina,

cant help as not there yet, just watned to say hi and good luck! where do yo work at the moment? im in sheffield, at the northern gen.

did you get a job in the speciality you wanted?

did you know that you can be applying for pr (175) now that you have your temp visa? i know of a couple of nurses that have done that ... they obtained their 475, then sent in thier 175.

we were out in adelaide in 2007, its lovely! and unlike other major aus cities the suburbs are very different ... we drove around brisbane visiting friends and the suburbs all seemed the merge into one, they were all the same - but adelaide is much nicer, more laid back and the suburbs all seemed to have thier own characters.

we were aiming to come out this year, but my oh is a plasterer and has been out of full time work for about 4/5 months - just got back into full time at the start of the school hols! with regards to plastereing work in adelaide, some relatives have told us that there is still lots of construction work around but not quite as easy to get as in the past (anther reason we arent coming over this year). so we aim to move around next easter ... time will tell if we actually manage to get there - been on this path for many years now!!

good luck with it all!

sue x

Guest The Morleys

Hi Andy and Lindsey,

What a small world!!! yes I work in A&E at DRI. What hospital are you working for now? how are you finding it...from what I've heard hospitals in oz sound much better than in the UK.

How are your kids enjoying it down under? my daughter (Abigail 8) is soooo excited...but then so are me & Marcus. Do your kids like their school?

Thanks

Nina

x

Guest The Morleys

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your message, I work at DRI in A&E and have been fortunate enough to get a job in

the E.D at the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

My Husband has been quiet on the job front in the Uk too, but fortunately he plasteres, plumbs, Tiles and can fit kitchens (quite handy I suppose) so he's been able to pick up various bits of work.

Have you got family living in Adelaide then?

Good luck with everything, maybe I'll see you in Adelaide one day!

Nina

x

Guest nurse sue
Hi Sue,

Thanks for your message, I work at DRI in A&E and have been fortunate enough to get a job in

the E.D at the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

My Husband has been quiet on the job front in the Uk too, but fortunately he plasteres, plumbs, Tiles and can fit kitchens (quite handy I suppose) so he's been able to pick up various bits of work.

Have you got family living in Adelaide then?

Good luck with everything, maybe I'll see you in Adelaide one day!

Nina

x

Hi Nina,

wow, A & E? I take my hat off to you ... a & e is real hard work - im lucky enough to work in medical imaging, and when some of my colleagues moan about how busy and stressed they are i just laugh and say try a & e if you want to really be entitled to moan!

Yes, we have family in adelaide - they live around elizabeth, klemzig and victor harbour. we spent a whirlwind 2 weeks out there in 07, and saw so many areas my head is still spinning. but they are all very different, which i think is a good thing.

can totally agree with readypenny too ... that drive is awesome!! I did that drive ... nearly crashed the car the view was amazing!

good luck with everything - im just downloading and printing off the ielts and anmc forms now :)

yes, hope to see you in adelaide one day!

sue

• 5 months later...
Guest The Morleys
Hi Nina,

Can't help you on the info on Adelaide as Im not there yet but hoping to be not long after you! What visa are you getting? We are going on a 176 hubby is carpenter, I'm registerd childminder here and hpoing to do same there! Where are you looking to live in Adelaide? You never know we could bump into each other - especially if you work in A & E - knowing my kids!

Hi Karyn,

How are you? We arrived in Adelaide last friday, just been looking back over some of my past posts. Have you emigrated yet?

Nina & Family

Guest doje6863

Hi Nina and family. Welcome, pleased you got here safely. What a small world, I did my training at Pontefract. Was married to a bloke from Woodlands! (note was!!)

Anyway, dont forget to change your location, not Doncaster anymore!!!

donna

Guest Peachie

Hi Nina

I am a nurse too will look for a job feb onwards as enjoying the sun too much to spoil it with work lol we arrived in adelaide end of Nov 09 and Hubby stayed with his uk company just transfered to au so I taken my time looking round and spent summer hols with the kids age 12 and 5 so am thinking about which hossie to apply too???

we live in a large 3 bed overlooking linear park on lockeys underdale boarder I could cycle to RAH in 25min though the park or QE in 15 to 20mins up the road there are a couple of private hossies with in bike range too if there is anything we can help you with Pm

regards Debbie

Guest The Morleys
Hi Nina and family. Welcome, pleased you got here safely. What a small world, I did my training at Pontefract. Was married to a bloke from Woodlands! (note was!!)

Anyway, dont forget to change your location, not Doncaster anymore!!!

donna

Hi Donna,

Where are you working now?

Nina

Guest The Morleys
Hi Nina

I am a nurse too will look for a job feb onwards as enjoying the sun too much to spoil it with work lol we arrived in adelaide end of Nov 09 and Hubby stayed with his uk company just transfered to au so I taken my time looking round and spent summer hols with the kids age 12 and 5 so am thinking about which hossie to apply too???

we live in a large 3 bed overlooking linear park on lockeys underdale boarder I could cycle to RAH in 25min though the park or QE in 15 to 20mins up the road there are a couple of private hossies with in bike range too if there is anything we can help you with Pm

regards Debbie

Hi Debbie,

It would be lovely to be able to ride to work (would save some money) but we're a bit too far away from the RAH for that, I am thinking of catching the train as there is a station near us and I've heard that parking in the city is pretty shocking.

Let me know where you decide to work, if it's the RAH pop into the E.D and say hello.

Nina

Guest doje6863

Nice location Nina!!!

I work for GPNS by Flinders hospital. Its a great organisation. Only problem is, the contracts are only for a year, and thats up in June! Cant bear the idea of having to work in hospitals again.

How are you all settling in?

donna

Hi Donna,

Where are you working now?

Nina

Guest guest3462

DOJE , It really is a small world. When did you train? I did my training at pinderfields so we would have gone to the same nursingschool!!! 1997 - 2000

donna[/quote0