Location, location, location

Guest Sassisoo

Guest Sassisoo

Hi Everyone.

I've been very interested reading the North vs. South threads here.

Employment for us means the Parafield area - quite far North/Northeast. How realistic would commuting from, say, Brighton or similar south western areas be? Its so difficult to judge from maps alone!

We had been looking at Port Adelaide over to Modbury as potential residential areas, but I have to be honest - everything so far has me leaning the other side of the city!

We won't have a huge amount to spend, in the region of $350k which we're hoping will be enough to leave us mortgage free if we're realistic about the property we aim for - or are we fooling ourselves?

Any thoughts gratefully received :)

Guest motlyman

Hi,

We live in Happy Valley and to get to the city is 30 to 40 mins. In peak traffic it can take an hour.

Brighton is 10 mins away from us so knock that off.

There are some nice places up north of the city.

Personally if i was working Parafield area i would go for the north.

Colin

Guest Sassisoo

Thanks Colin - we'd been given the impression that the rush hour only meant about 1/2 hr - clearly that's not the case and makes it a very differnt cup of tea to travel that distance for work on a daily basis. Cheers - you've just saved us loads of wasted time (and domestics!):D

North it is :cool:

Guest thecartwrights

We actually live in Golden Grove which is a north eastern suburb - and you want any information please pm me - I will do my best to help :confused:

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

In northern suburbs, you should definitely be able to find a nice house somewhere for $350 k or less (so you'd be MORTGAGE FREE!! :D). Port Adelaide areas should be ok for this price too, but it's getting a lot more expensive quickly out there due to all the expansion (defence, education, migration, etc). If you are wanting beachside areas (like out south) but still to be not too far away from your work (within a 30 min drive), I would definitely go for the "northern beaches", eg Semaphore, Port Adelaide, North Haven, and the suburbs near these that are inland (eg Glanville).

Cheers

• 3 years later...
Guest GeraldineM

Hi sassysoo.

I have lived here for decades, with English parents. My husband and I are part-time property investors, so I enjoy reading and researching all real estate issues.

In your situation I think you will find a house, either north or south, for $350,000.

The best value is usually a house on a good size block with dated decor, but still structurally sound, that you can improve and add value to, as not everyone wants to do this, so you can get a good buy. Don't be afraid to make low offers!

Personally I live in the Flagstaff Hill area, and most of my experience is southern. I know of lots of English people who have moved into the area, which includes Happy Valley further south, Coromandel Valley, O'Halloran Hill, etc. These areas are only 10-15 minutes to the beach and major shopping, trains, etc. The commute to the northern area would probably be an hour each way, depending on when you leave (a pain long-term, my husband does it nearly every day).

Property prices are on a bit of a downward slide just at the moment, so this may be a good time to buy. Areas that are along the train line, such as Hallet Cove and Christies Beach could be good for commuting (although the train tracks are being rebuilt at the moment).

Personally I would have a look at the government schools where you are thinking of buying, as plenty of them are quite good and this could save you a lot of money over a private school.

I hope you have a great time here.

G

Guest GeraldineM

Sassysoo, sorry I forgot to say that Port Adelaide and around that area is a good choice, as it is an up-and-coming area quite close to the beach. Also, it is a straight run into the city.

As someone else mentioned, areas such as Rosewater, Exeter, Ethelton, and surrounds of the Port River would be a good investment.

Regards,

G

Guest hoops677

this post will hopefully help me, hubby has a job in Gepps cross and we are struggling to find anything in the north that is recommended don't want to be spending more than half an hour commuting, ideally would like to cycle to work, also would need state schools in the area to not have english as a second language!! any help would be greatfully received.

Thank you

Jo