securing rental , easy or not?

garyandelaine

Guest the4hopes

We booked 6 weeks in an apartment, but we were in another rental after 4 weeks. Some people manage this within 2 weeks, but we used the first 2 weeks as a holiday and didnt start looking around straight away.

Laura

I had booked an apartment for four weeks when I arrived, and had secured a rental within two weeks. That was with working full time to boot :)

Four weeks will give you a chance to not have to panic into the first grotty hole you go to...

Sorry to say but it is an absolute nightmare. We are here nearly a year now, and our current rental is nearly up, so we have been really organised and have viewed rental properties for about four months now but to no avail, I am not being picky at all as I have two children and my main concern is just to have a roof over their heads, but some of the places are absolutely in bits, or don't have air conditioning, and the ones that are nice have about fifteen to twenty people viewing them with you, so when you do put in an application, most times you never even hear back from the agent which is really frustrating.

I never thought it would be so hard, and am a bit panicked at what I will do if I don't get something soon.

:unsure:

Hi guys ,Thanks for your replies , it seems that some have a realy bad time finding somewhere and some not so bad, or they are just lucky; I am thinking of 6 weeks in a holiday/short term rental to start with as we have 2 young boys while we look around , Thanks again for your advice Gary....

What a start it was for you Django glad you stuck it out and good luck to you Glindy in finding somewhere soon.

Hi guys ,Thanks for your replies , it seems that some have a realy bad time finding somewhere and some not so bad, or they are just lucky; I am thinking of 6 weeks in a holiday/short term rental to start with as we have 2 young boys while we look around , Thanks again for your advice Gary....

What a start it was for you Django glad you stuck it out and good luck to you Glindy in finding somewhere soon.

Hi

We are hoping to rent our house next year not probably until around April/May though. We will be going through an agent and will post the details on here when we have them available. We are wanting someone who requires at least a 12 month lease. We are in Flagstaff Hill and have a 4 bed house main bedroom with walk in robe and ensuite. The other 3 beds have built in robes. Also an undercover fenced pool and spa which is solar and gas heated. Carport for 1 car but enough parking for 3. Good kids play area which is barked too.

Pm me if your interested and I will email some photo's.

Please don't panic, I think everyone has their own rental story - good or bad. We've been here 5 weeks today and within the first 3 weeks had secured a long term rental just where we wanted in Christies Beach (and a job for my husband, but that's another story). We get the keys this friday and i can't wait to move in! We've got a 2 week overlap between our short term furnished rental and the long term unfurnished one, but it gives us more time to buy a washing machine, fridge freezer, TV etc.

Every rental property managed by an agent will be on www.domain.com.au and www.realestate.com.au, as well as being advertised in the paper. If you have a laptop, it definitely saves on legwork to bring it with you and make sure that your short term first rental has broadband(or use the PCs in the local library). That way you can set up email alerts based on your preferred suburbs and price limits. We spent 3 weeks of breakfasts looking at which properties had appeared overnight.

Once you've found a house you like, express an interest by email or phone, then you'll be informed when a public or private viewing is happening. Most viewings are public and you may have to wait a couple of weeks to see a house, until enough interest is generated.

Rental agencies will need a 100 point ID check from every adult applicant, so make sure you've got your Oz driving licences, bank statements, medicare cards etc. Things to bring over from the UK that you'll need are character references, previous rental references/proof that you got a previous rental deposit back in full, proof of your UK house sale. It took us a few days to chase up missing UK documents by email, so pack them in your hand luggage. Each agent will have slightly different points values for each item.

When you've found the house(s) you like, you fill in an application form and take it to the rental agent with all your ID and any other supporting documents that might help. you're trying to stand out from the other applicants, so try to think of what would make the owner choose you. We wrote a letter saying how much we'd love the house for our new start in Oz, how we'd look after it, and offered 3 months rent in advance since my husband didn't have a job yet. It did the trick, although the rental property manager did turn up unannounced at our patio doors one night to introduce himself - and obviously suss us out!

The other way to find rentals is to keep and eye on PIA and sites like gumtree for people who are breaking their lease and advertising properties privately, but you'll still need to convince the house owner that you're the most desirable applicant!

Hopes this helps.

Catrin