Anyone live in Brighton or Hove? Is it nice?

Guest fuji70

Hiya

Being from landlocked Leicester, I'm desperate to move to the coast, but Glenelg looks to be out of my budget.

What's Hove and Brighton like?? I'll have a bike and scooter soon, so no desperate need to be TOO close to shops, cafes etc...though not too far away either.

Thanks for any help.

:)

We live in Brighton but we are looking to move. The suburb is nice, close to beach and shops and has a good school, but we feel like we are in a retirement village!! We don't want pubs, bars and nightlife - we just feel the area is lacking in young families like ourselves. Looking to move somewhere we can get together with neighbours etc. Plus we couldn't afford to buy here - still too expensive for us!

Guest MarkIngram
We live in Brighton but we are looking to move. The suburb is nice, close to beach and shops and has a good school, but we feel like we are in a retirement village!! We don't want pubs, bars and nightlife - we just feel the area is lacking in young families like ourselves. Looking to move somewhere we can get together with neighbours etc. Plus we couldn't afford to buy here - still too expensive for us!

I was interested in this comment as we'd started looking at Brighton because of the reputation the schools seem to have...like you we are (well, I'd like to think so) a young family and would also want to be able to make some good like minded friends....it would be interesting to see if anyone else from Brighton in their mid thirties with youngsters comments on this thread.

only 34 days until we fly out now...YESSSSSSSSSSS:biglaugh:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cazzie
Have finally found a property in Somerton Park, 200 metres from the sea :cute:. Half way between Glenelg and Brighton, so should be okay to visit both.

That's great, very handy for all the beaches and Marion shopping. We love lunching at the Somerton Park Cafe next to the Surf Club, great lunches and superb views. Good luck with the move.

Guest fuji70
That's great, very handy for all the beaches and Marion shopping. We love lunching at the Somerton Park Cafe next to the Surf Club, great lunches and superb views. Good luck with the move.

Wow, I hadn't walked down that far. It looks great, will have to give it a bash, only a couple of streets away! ;)

Many of the suburbs in Adelaide are like this, Adelaide is thought of as a place to retire by other states

Guest Rachel10

Hi,

I grew up in Warradale (one suburb east) and the whole area is magic, and if I could afford to live there, I would in a heart beat. It is true that there are few young families there as it is expensive for Adelaide, but gradually younger families are moving in. Brighton Secondary school does have an excellent reputation for a public high school (I went there myself,) but there are several others too that are very good. Adelaide High School, Norwood and Unley High Schools, as well as Mitcham Girls are all top tier public high schools - and there is no coincidences that they are in the most expensive suburbs in Adelaide. There are some very good private schools in the southern beach suburbs where there are more families, and the housing is less expensive. Woodcroft College, Tatachilla and Prescott are very good($4000-6000pa) (I think Woodcroft is the nicest), and then there is Scotch College and Mary Mount, Sacred Heart College, St Peters and Westminster, which are top tier private ($10000 - 15000 per year) in the vacinity of Hove/Brighton/and surrounds as well. It depends on your budget, but family areas in the southern beach suburbs like Hallett Cove, Happy Valley, Woodcroft, and Flagstaff Hill (a really lovely area especially) are a bit cheaper, have newer housing, but still very close to the beach, as well as the hills, but the public schools are not as flash. If you save money on the housing, you can afford better schools. But the schools are all pretty good really. I'm a local with lots of English friends (I can't believe how many are moving here!!) so if you want any extra info on schools (I've researched all the local schools only recently - my oldest son just started high school, and my baby starts school in 2011 - I have four) I'm happy to help.

http://www.nelsonsfreshexpress.com.au