To rent an accomadation is it difficult?

Guest Diana

Hello to everyone!Lads please advice...:wubclub:

We are coming to adelaide in November. Son 6 years,hubby 34 and myself 28.We are from Ireland.The qustion is :Is it real that hard to rent an accomadation if you just a new emigrant and don't have any job yet?If you have a child?But you have a money to pay rent in an advance for 3 months in cash?Also we would have a reference letter from our landlord(renting her house 7 years and never had any problems).

My hubby is driving me ku-ku:arghh:he is so afraid that it would be a pain in an a.. to rent an accomadation.

Thank you

Diana:notworthy:

Guest graandjac

:)Its a good idea to bring references and maybe some photos to show that the house was clean and all that. Its not difficult but there is a process that you have to go through, application , they might check on any references, and at the end of the day its the landlord that decides not the agent,so get the agent on side ...... be prepared to view some pretty bad lets aswell so you (might) but it could take a week or too, to find the right one for you, good luck.

:)Its a good idea to bring references and maybe some photos to show that the house was clean and all that. Its not difficult but there is a process that you have to go through, application , they might check on any references, and at the end of the day its the landlord that decides not the agent,so get the agent on side ...... be prepared to view some pretty bad lets aswell so you (might) but it could take a week or too, to find the right one for you, good luck.

Thank you very much for your answer.:wubclub:

Guest back clan

Hi Diana,

We looked on realestate.com.au and applied for a rental the week we were coming here.

They were very helpful and let us know that there was a open house viewing the Saturday after we arrived.We went along applied for it and gave work references from the Uk. I think we put a couple of bills in and also offered six months rent up front.

We got accepted but were told not to worry about paying the rent upfront.Fortnightly was fine. I couldn't believe it as it was the first place we saw.

The company was www.eliterentals.com.au and they also brought to the viewing a list of other rentals that they have available

Guest hensonmonsta

Hi Diana

Congratulations on your move to australia :) wish it was us....

Hope you don't mind me asking, but I notice that you say you are moving to Australia with no jobs? do you mind me asking which visa you have been granted. we are looking to apply for the 457 visa (employer sponsor) still early days, need to sell the house etc...

I just wondered if you were being brave and moving there on the hope of getting jobs/sponsors when you are there?

Would love to hear back from you.

Teresa

Guest Philip

Personally, I found it really hard to get accomodation without any references. It was only when I put on my application form to "please give me a chance!", this was after 4 months of looking too. But it all worked out for the best, I really like my unit, quiet area too.

Guest Bristol_Christine_BRFC

Me and my boyf managed to get the first one we applied for. They did umm and ahh over no Australian rental history but then gave in. Realestate.com is def the best place to view. Like what was mentioned earlier you will see some absoloute dives that arnt fit to pee in. But do look at ones that arent the best as sometimes the pictures just dont do any justice. I do find the Aussies do have very old fashioned taste aswell... some of the bathrooms ewwww. Its fun though going to the opens. When we went to bad ones we would walk in and start laughing and walk straight back out again. I think you will be fine though just get some opens lined up before you get here. Also my boyf is only a temporary resident working self employed and they still accepted us. It might also be a good idea to have photocopies of your 100 points of ID so you can apply straight away. Good luck!

Hi. We found it hard to find somewhere and were starting to panic because we had only booked a holiday let for 3 weeks and that really wasn't long enough.

The biggest problem was finding a house that we wanted to live in...so many of those we saw were really scruffy and unclean, and for the money they wanted we thought it was a disgrace.

So our advice would be to book a short term furnished rental while still in the UK, but book at least 3 weeks to give yourself plenty of time. And like the others have said, look on realestate.com so you know what to expect.

As for applying, we were turned down for one, but on the next one we stated we would pay 3 months in advance. This wasn't needed but they did ask to see evidence of the funds so we gave a mini statement from the ARM with our balance on it and that was fine.

Good luck and enjoy the searching!

Guest The Pickles

We saw one house, after the viewing we wrote a nice letter to the landlord (via the estate agent) saying how much we loved the house, how we wanted to stay in the area because we had a young son who was going to go to the local primary school etc, included landlord references, a neighbour reference and offered 6 months rent in advance because neither of us had jobs and we got the house... not sure if it was the cash that secured it but anything and everything is worth a try if you find a property you really like!

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day.

We managed to secure a rental within 2 days of arriving with a $20 pw knocked off and the landlord allowed both of our westies as well.

When you arrive pick up a copy of staurdays Advertizer as it has all the opens for the weekend.

A good tip is to take along a copy of whats in the bank (cashpoint printout)

Pics of your old place so the can see what it was like and in our case pics of the dogs as well.

Letters of job offers is a great help.

Old bills e.g. gas, electric, phone ect ect

Some photo ID drivers licence normally does.

But a must is supply an australian phone number, they dont like calling Uk mobiles.

A copy of your passport and visa.

If you take all this along you should have know problem securingn a rental but it normally takes bout 2 weeks to sort all the paperwork out and to get the keys.

Hope this helps