Three weeks notice OAA - is it true?

niknjas

Hi

Just applied for OAA this morning and reading through the paperwork yet again.

Do they really only give you three weeks notice prior to you moving over as to whether you have got it or not? Or is this just an incentive to fill the forms in a bit sooner.

We don't fly out until 18th Jan and most places are booked as at that point it's still the hols. Found one place and owner has been great supplying info etc for short term rental but can't give a definate yes or no yet and mucking her around is not going to help her or us.

Can someone enlighten me please?

Thanks

Niki

yep it's true tho when we did it it was 10 days before we left that we found out we got it:shocked: it's doesn't matter how soon you send the papers back but we did ours as soon as!! good luck;)

Guest nikki & john

Hi there and in answer to your question yes, they only give you three weeks notice advising whether or not you have been fortunate enough to get OAA property. It's nothing to do with getting you to fill the form in quicker, there is a deadline for applying which is six weeks prior to your arrival date. The reason they give 3 weeks notice is that they have no way of knowing in advance what will be available and when, as although you are given a 12 week lease you can give very little notice and leave at any point during the 12 weeks so as to make it as easy for you as possible to find a longer term rental and get settled.

Hope this helps.

Nikki

Guest nikki & john

They might but I would imagine it would only be by a few days of difference if at all, the public holidays in Oz are a lot different from those in the UK, so government is only closed on the 25th, 28th of dec and 1st of Jan. They do try to confirm about 28 days before your arrival date but then that can change at the drop of a hat and somebody can give notice all of a sudden and you can be offered something after all, just luck of the draw. Only about 50% of people who apply are fortunate enough to get OAA properties.

Guest kangomik

less than 10 days notice for us. They don't know what will become free and it takes them 7 days to clean up, hence the short lead time.

Don't expect much to change over Christmas, except for less lead time. If your really worried, book temp accom.

Guest MarkIngram

book temp accommodation as soon as possible if you have your flights booked. We only found out we didn't get OAA about 10days before due to leave and we made the mistake of not booking somewhere else earlier....a mad panic took place.

Mark

Hi

Thanks. we got confirmation yesterday that they had our application so that is a start. We have also applied for meet and greet - well started the p/work anyway but how can you give them an address if you don't know where you're going?:unsure:

J & I still not come to a decision about short term as will lose deposit if don't give short term enough notice. Know it's not a lot in the scheme of things but don't want to chuck money away if we don't have to.

Niki

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi we are in the same boat, waiting to hear if we have got OAA. I think we are just going to chance it though and not book the short term rental. If we don't get it then we will just have to try our best to find somewhere. Slightly more worrying when you have children to consider though.

Will all just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Jo and Tom x

• 1 month later...
Guest northernstar200

I thought maybe we would of got it, but panic has now set in, with the reality that we fly out in less than four weeks time and currently will not have anywhere to live. I am so scared, I have had a look on realestate, but not much is jumping out at me. Anyone got any cheap recomendations for us? thanks.

Tracy x x

I am in the process of going into short term rental and have just had 2 properties handed back yesterday from long term leases. Closer to the time you can always leave a message again and you may find others in the same boat as me.