Taking A Risk With No Back-Up Accomodation

Boxertony

I have applied for AOA as well as the Meet & Greet service, for when we arrive on the Wednesday 10th February 2010, as you probably aware that this is not guaranteed and it is advisable to book alternative accommodation as a back-up. Well I have seen short term rental for our arrival available. However I have to pay at least 50% deposit on booking , which is roughly $1500-$1800 AUD - £830 - £990 and the rest of the rent on arrival. So what I have decided is to take a big gamble and not book any alternative back up accomodation and then wait until three weeks before we arrive to find out if we gain the AOA, if we do not gain it, then I will frantically search for other short term rental for our arrival. I just dont want to pay a massive deposit and then lose it due to our AOA coming through, which we are hoping for very much.

Unless someone out there has got a 3/4 bedroom rental home, ideally with a swimming pool for rent on a much more longer lease, then I would take that up instead around our arrival in Febraury 2010.

Hiya, we didn't have booked accomodation as a back up either. We have 3 small children though and priority is given to families. I see you have kids too - I would be a little worried though that if families with younger children are applying then you may not get a place. When we arrived we were told that only 60% of applicants actually get housed and it depends on what is available at the time. They do have apartments etc but even if they are available you wouldn't get it because they'd consider it too small for your needs.

At then end of the day you can't second guess what will happen. If you feel you need to have something booked then do it. You'll get accomodation at short notice - just who knows where and how much??

Hi Mandy,

What a wonderful gesture, but we could never impose on you, well ummmmmmm? lol. We have a 11 year old daughter as well, at least we could meet up for a drink. I am slightly worried that we may not get the AOA but I am sure that we will be able to get some where to stay on our arrival. everything is just paying out, we need somewhere as Jane starts work after two weeks of being there.

Guest steph&neil

Hiya we booked into the Franklin serviced apartments in the city for the first 4 night then found a holiday rental in Glenelg, which was TERRIBLE called the beach baby, avoid at all costs!!! I would highly recommend the Franklin apartments & we booked it the day we left the UK, paid on arrival & it was nice clean & spacious (3 bed aprt),they have just finished a refurb so prob even better!!!

we will be moving out of our 4 bed house with pool. in Novar Gardens (near glenelg) in April or May, 4 beds with pools are hard to come by but I will post more info nearer the time! good luck

Hi Tony

We took a chance too and didn't have back up either. As Jo has said, they tell you that only 60% get housed, but hey that's better than a 50-50 chance! (Only just). I felt that it was worth taking the chance, because of the money that could be saved and thankfully, for us, it paid off.

Another tip for saving money. I read that a lot of people on here seem to hire a car for two weeks to upto a month when they first arrive and my advice would be to make buying a second hand car one of your first priorities, as once again this can save you a small fortune.

It's getting closer mate, hang on in there.

Howard.

I agree about the car - although we did have relatives here to pick us up from the airport (with car seats!). Hire cars cost a fair bit - money we couldn't afford. Our OAA was near shops and transport so we didn't NEED a car straight away. It was hard without one but we bought a 2nd hand one the second week we were here. It would be much easier to cope without one with older kids too - dragging our 3 little ones around was hard work, but hey, we managed!

• 1 month later...

Hi ya

Just to say that we did not get OAA but got one through KP Rentals when they got a cancellation. Some places to look at though are Stayz, Blew In who are on here and although we said no to it were very accomodating, Rentals In Oz, Kalabity Cottages (Loobyloo on here) and also Donna (djacob@westnet.com.au) who does holiday rentals.

Hope you get OAA but if not hope the above helps.

Regards

Niki