Help!!! Hubbie having major meltdown

niknjas

Hi

Hopefully someone can answer yet more of my questions.

Last night hubbie said he didn't want to go due to recession etc etc, worried about work, money etc. Bearing in mind flight booked and Pickfords due to to come in 14th January although no paperwork signed yet. Talked about it a bit more and said did want to go but didn't want to ship furniture in case it didn't work out and we would have wasted loads of money on shipping. :arghh::realmad:

I have agreed to look at furnished rentals and have been looking at Voovit for shipping over boxes

Has anyone shipped furniture over later and just shipped boxes. Has anybody rented fully furnished for longer than short term and can anybody give me any suggestions apart from BASHING HIM OVER THE HEAD several times with a large heavy blunt implement.

Thanks

A very stressed out Niki

Hi Niki

We moved here in January and we only shipped a couple of boxes by airfreight, leaving the rest in storage in the UK. We rented fully furnished for 8 weeks and then moved into an unfurnished rental. We spent minimal money setting up and have still not shipped our stuff ( but that is just because we need to pull our finger out). I wish we had shipped from the start and bear in mind that it is just hubby and I.

I would cost it all out and see how long you are prepared to live without your things, it took me 7 months to find a full time job which meant we were prepared to ship our stuff.

One thing I would recommend it getting everything export packed and ready by Pickfords, we self packed and are now tearing our hair out as we have not got an inventory for customs and are going to have to rely on the shippers to declare everything for us.

Good luck with what you decide.

Guest The Pickles

It's a tough one... it took my husband 4 months to find a job (which he starts today, yay) and another friend's husband 8 months... we lived in a Roo Rentals property for the first 6 weeks and then we were lucky to find a fully furnished house to rent (we always rented furnished in London so didn't really have much furniture anyway).

My advice (for what it's worth), have enough money to allow for many possible months of not working (you could be lucky and find work in a couple of weeks, I know people do) because there is nothing worse than seeing your savings running out quickly and wondering what on earth you'll do if they do run out completely... I had many a sleepless night worrying.

Shipping wise, we did without our things for 3 months due to delays and although it's nice having our stuff and our little boy having his toys, there are plenty of lovely people on here who will help you out by lending you the basics.

Good luck!!

Guest The Dimmocks

Hi

We can understand your hubby having doubts as it such a big step. On the job front, we have been e-mailing loads of companies for the past month and have been lucky enough to secure a job offer for my hubby. We booking our flights next week (once savings hit our bank account) to fly out in February. We have last shipper coming this week to give quote and will then decide who to use, although Pickfords are my favourite so far, they middle price wise but will try and knock them down to lowest quote we had. We shipping all our stuff as well .

Good luck with your move.

Michelle

Thanks everybody

I'm just hoping it is a wobble that won't have a knock on effect and is just panic because not long now. I can understand where he is coming from because I've worried and am still worried about things. Difference is that it has never crossed my mind not to go. Would be less worried if we didn't have the kids because you don't mind roughing it.

Spoke to Pickfords this morning about maybe delaying sending furniture and sending boxes independently. Only came back about £250 cheaper so will tell J later and see what he says. Quite happy to just send some boxes over (Kids stuff) and then go from there if we have to. Hopefully one of these two job interviews that we have lined up come up trumps. Also looked at more jobs online this morning.

I'm the positive one out of the two of us but must admit this wobble ahs got me in a quandry now.

Oh well, as they say it will sort itself out in the long run. Just dubious about buying stuff to set up when we are going to ship at some point and end up with duplicates

Thanks again everyone.

Good luck with the new job today The Pickles

Good luck The Dimmocks with your move too.

Niki

Niki

Hi NIki

I have travelled to uk from Adelaide a few times ,I have used a few shipping companies.However I got many quotes some were crazy prices/quotes.The company I eventually used this time was wentworth international free fone 0800454796 or 01932853344 ,we shipped half a container load and paid £2,500 all proffesionally packed,the other companies prices crazy!!!I even added a few things and no charge all paper work done for customs no dramas....we moved here a year ago

It is a big step to leave uk ,just make sure you have enough savings ,as others have said

wishing you all the best

Helen

Hi Niki and Jason, We arrived in adelaide 2 weeks ago, we were unsure what to bring so decided to just bring boxes, we used taxi truck and shipped about 34 boxes and some other items that had to be export wrapped e.g tool chest it came to approx 1,600 pounds. We didn't know what to do for the best but now i am here i am looking forward to my familar belongings arriving. The shops are fantastic here so if you decide not to ship there are some lovely furnishings and accesories to buy from shops like big w, target and kmart. A good thing to do if shipping boxes is to work out how much it costs per box to ship it's amazing how that helps you decide what to bring and what to get rid of. It's a stressful time especially when you have to say those final farewells. My husband is a truck builder and he has been offered two jobs since he has been here there is plenty of work if you do your homework, both job offers came from people who he contacted from the uk. Hope this helps kim(38) simon(37) lauren(12) Jack(6) and Samuel(2)

Thank for that Simkim - how are you settling in.

That's the good thing about this site, at least you can speak to people that have been in the same situation and you don't feel stupid asking questions.

I'm hoping out of the people that wecontacted on the internet regarding the jobs they come through and then it will be one less stress.

Have spoken to Wentworth as per Eleni's recommendation and they are coming out on Monday to give us another quote. Once spoken to them, will just put all the info in front of J and see what he says.

Thanks again

Hi niki We have settled in ok, the first week or so was just like a holiday, lot's of time spent on the beach and driving around the different areas that you spend so much time researching before you get here, then you have to get into practical mode and start shopping for a car and attending lots of opens for rental properties, we are in a furnished rental in sheidow park adelaide, it is lovely but we have to move out on the 9th dec so we are frantically looking for a property so that we can try to be settled before xmas descends upon us. My children started school on mon and my husband starts work next mon, so not looking forward to being on my own ( although i do have my 2 year old son for company!) Hope you decide what to do with your belongings, where abouts are you heading for? If i can be of any help at all just let me know Kim

Guest kangomik

we managed to get a part furnished rental 6 weeks after arriving, we moved in the same day our gear landed, but most of it stayed in the garage (we didn't ship too much)

We looked at shipping very little, but the cost for boxes tools etc was just to high compared to half a container. My only regret, not bringing more gear...... the start up costs here can soon go through the roof. For instance the car market is not the same over here.

I think it's only natural for one half of the partnership to have a WOBBLE. The job market should buck up soon, the weekends paper was already screaming about houses prices rising due to a shortage because of lack of building over the last 12 months blah blah.

Big decision, all part of the adventure.

Good luck

Thanks Kim.

Not the foggiest at the mo. Keep returning to Aldinga but the jobs that Jason has got lined up to go and look at are up north so people have recommended several places there. Are you going to stay in Sheidow as the children's school is there. You seem to have got things organised pretty quickly. I'm usually really organised but am sure doing the impression of a headless chicken at the mo. Once we get there I will be in the same boat as you .e.g my little boy at school, J working (I hope) and Phoebe at home with me. I also don't drive at the mo so that will determine where we live to a degree. Either that or bussing cycling everywhere.

Would like to know how you get on so would be nice to keep updated if possible

Niki

Thanks

Can I ask where you saw part furnished advertised as I can only seem to find fully furnished at mo. The longer term rentals after 4 weeks don't seem too badly priced but still more than expected especially with the exchange rate being so rubbish.

We have tool boxes to ship as well. Downsized a lot of the house early on but J and I have got to tackle the garage yet. not looking forward to that as we rent a garage as well for all Jason's work equipment. If it was down to me I would probably skip 3/4 of it but don't think he'd be too happy. May look at storage or his sister's garage yet for remainder of stuff.

Hi Niki Sheidow park was not an area that we originally looked at, but a furnished rental was available here and it looked like a really nice house, which it is and i really like the area unfortunately we won't settle here because it is out of zone for my daughters preferred highschool, but we had good news today we have secured a rental in old reynella which means we will be in the zone, thats something to bear in mind when looking for rentals. Have you got anything set up for when you arrive or do you qualify for meet and greet? unfortunately we didn't qualify so we forked out for a private meet and greet who arranged this accomadation for us. Even though the accomadation we are in at the moment is expensive $700 per week it was money well spent, it has helped us feel more settled having everything to hand especially for the children, but it is going to be hard to go into our unfurnished rental, we are going to have to do a mad dash to the shops!!:chatterbox:

Guest kangomik

Hi Niki we got a rental through some one on the site (friend of Dianes) it was in Dernancourt in the North East, We now bought in Greenwith.

Have a serious look with the commute, we settled north of the city due to my work, commuting here is not a fast thing, its a very slow stop start affair.

Anyway enough of the travel doom and gloom, Bring everything, bring all the tools, i only wish i had brought more, but make sure they are clean.

Hiya

Congrats on getting another rental.

We do qualify for meet and greet and are just waiting on a response to oaa. Otherwise will have to bite the bullet and get short term rental at last minute. Found full furnished rental's quite like the look of but wary of just chucking money away. Another rental co coming on Monday who also just do boxing so going to ask for various different quotes. Chap will probably have a headaches after seeing me.

Good luck with the shopping etc.

Niki

Hi Niki it's good that you qualify for meet and greet keep fingers crossed you get accomadation, I've heard it's cheap which always helps! I wish we could have used meet and greet and then maybe we could have brought a property instead of renting for a year, it would help me feel more settled if i had my own home again. Hope you find the right shipping company soon and at the right price. Keep in touch, let me know how it's all going, any questions feel free to pick my brains kim

Hi Nki & Jas,

My other half is a Carpenter, we arrived on the Thurs at 2.30pm and he got a job Friday at 10am. There is plenty of trade work. Get him to go onto Seek.com. They have all the latest jobs and the agency's to find work. They are developing everywhere at the mo so I am sure he will be fine to get a Job. Australia didn't get the recession that the UK did. You are better off here!!

Hope he settles soon, I am sure everyone can agree we all had a freak out at some point!! Ha ha.

Helen & Darren

Thanks Eleni

Got in contact with Wentworths and they were very good. Gave us a quote which was £600 cheaper than Pickfords and said we could take my son's toy quad bike with no customs vehicle charges which Pickfords had said we would have to pay. Bearing in mind the charges were more expensive than the quad, we were going to sell it but not now.

I am waiting for Cathay Pacific who we are flying with to give me confirmation of luggage allowance and what tools we can take air freight.

We are going to use Wentworths but ship over our stuff a little later than planned e.g. get job first.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Niki

Guest Bluenose

Hi there

Sorry to hear that you're having a few doubts but this is perfectly normal. You're making a big decision coming to Australia and it's a long way from family, friends and everything you're familiar with. I won't lie and tell you that everything is just gonna be a piece of cake.....moving to a new country does have it's challenges....somethings are not the same as home and never will be.....but trust me...there's lots of great things here that aren't like home and that's a good thing! :)

There's always going to be some ups and downs which happens in life all the time. Just take a deep breath....and remember to give it a good go! The most important thing to remember is this....if.....for whatever reason you don't adapt or like Australia then you can always go home. :)

Amen...sorry if I sound like I'm preaching the obvious but I have had some experience with the good and the bad.

It appears that a lot of ppl on this site tend to live in the South and that's fine.....if your work is taking you more to the North of Adelaide then think about looking to live in these areas:-

Golden Grove / Wynn Vale / Modbury Heights / Modbury North / Modbury / Tea Tree Gully / Hope Valley.

The above places are just a few that I think of that will have reasonable priced rentals and are well serviced....with Doctors / Shops / Service Stations (ie petrol) / Public Transport (well by Australian standards ;) ) Schools etc. They're also pretty safe as much of Adelaide is.

Hope this helps

Cheers

J

Guest Bluenose

ps My personal opinion (not that it counts for much) is to rent first....there are a lot of nice places to live in Adelaide and you can never really be sure what you like until you actually have a good look around and experience it first hand.

I agree you'd feel more settled with your own place.....but just imagine the expense etc that you go to and then found that you bought in an area that you don't like or don't have the services your looking for. I really recommend that you take the time to look around.

The end :D

HI

no problem.One more tip when we booked our flights casue we were migrating Singapore airlines have an extra allowance for people with visa in their passport My husband got extra 20kg so 40kg in total for him.Im Australian so didnt get the extra as deemed going home.

Ask if they fo the same I know not all airlines have this extra service but it helps as well.

All the best

Helen

call me once arrive if you need anything or chat meet up

ill pm my mobile