Another Lengthy 1 Month Update.

Guest SunSeekers

Guest SunSeekers

Hi

I have been a member for some time now, more a reader than a writer.lol Our family of 4 arrived in Adelaide on the 4th of November and were met by Will from Arrival Services. He was great, he took us to get some lunch and then onto Coles so that we could pick up some essentials, Bread, milk and most important of all Tea. He then came back the next day and took us into the city to show us where to do all the medicare, tax numbers etc, and the central market. That evening he took us to Koala Car Rentals to get us mobile. Not too bad price wise I think it was $287 or there abouts for a 4 door Kia per week. The best money we spent, because the next few days we were flat out. Into the city to get TFN, Medicare, Centrelink, you name it we were there. On route to the Tax office we passed the Skills Recognition Services building, so with Paul being a Brickie we went into see what they provided. Another good move, they arranged an meeting a few days later with a guy named Adam Guerin. Adam was fantastic, he registered Paul with CITB (Tradies will know) which allowed him to do his White Card for free.

We were very lucky, we did not have any major problems, a few mild shocks, like the price of bread.lol It is a shock when you do your first food shop, but you get over it!!!

The only thing that kind of put our nose out of joint, was, when Paul started ringing round for a job, everyone asked if he had a licence?? This was the first we had heard of it. We couldn't find any info on DIAC about it either, it only mentioned sparks and plumbers I think. Anyway Adam from the Skill Recognition put him on the right track.

So here we are just before our 1 month anniversary. Paul has been working for 3 weeks, our son Ben (7) has been at school for 3 weeks, daughter Helen (5) is just on her last day of Transition before she begins School in January. We are moving out of our temp accomodation on the 11th into the most fantastic house we have seen since we have been here, all thanks to fellow PIA member Steve & Jo. Thank you so much guys, only for you we would be living in the back of Pauls 20 year old Holden Greenhouse. haha Speaking of accomodation since I have plugged everyone else who has helped us I should really mention the person who found us somewhere to stay when the OAA fell through. Donna Jacob, she has been mentioned on here before. She has quite a few furnished rental properties, I can't imagine she would see you stuck, you can contact her at djacob@westnet.com.au or 0409 472188.

I think thats all I have to report about our first month, its strange how quickly you fall into everyday life. I'm glad though because it could have gone the other way. No drama's as they say. Lets hope it stays that way.

Thanks for taking the time to read, I hope I made sence.

Good Luck to everyone

Paul, Sharon, Ben & Helen

By the way. If anyone is interested, there is a good 2 bed in Henley Beach up for grabs from the 11th of Dec. Right on the beach, 10mins to West Lakes, Harbour Town and maybe 15mins to the city. Plug Plug Plug!!!ha ha ;)

Hi

Good to hear that you are settled in well. We have just completed our first week here, and we have been busy doing all the tax number etc etc.

As we are in OAA close to the city we have been walking every where, but now that we want to get out and about we need to rent a car to be able to go around all the car sales places. We will check out the Koala Car Rentals will now be at the top of our list to look at.

Good luck with everything

Marianne

Guest angiestaff

well done to you all, sounds like u're getting things sorted.

don't 4get to have some fun.....sit in the sun (with sun-block on of course), listen to the sea, smell the aroma of a lovely glass of wine!! lol

when ur stressed these are good ways to remind urself why u came ;)

ange x