Renmark and surrounding areas

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

Im coming out to South Australia starting work with the Police in March, :huh:

after training my family are joining me and we are looking at areas to live, ive got thread going for the Murray Bridge area and now im after advice in relation to Renmark and surrounding areas such as Loxton Barmera and Paringa.

The reason im after advice into so many areas is it is the omst important decision i will make, im after working nearish however happy to travel up to 50 kms each way.

im interested in the schools as i have a 4 year old and 1 year old.

Also is there work in the area for my wife when she gets settled.

Guest caoimhe

I just done that journey a couple of weeks ago, I have friends living in Berri which is approx 20 mins from Renmark, in fact their kids go to school in Renmark. The area is beautiful and they have a gorgeous home with 2.5 acres for a fraction of what you would pay in the city but as previously stated its a good 2.5 hours from Adelaide

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

To be honest i dont really care about the distance to Adelaide im not going for the city life, i just want something where my children can grow and be in a nice school, also to have work close by in the country so the Renmark area seems really nice.

To be honest i dont really care about the distance to Adelaide im not going for the city life, i just want something where my children can grow and be in a nice school, also to have work close by in the country so the Renmark area seems really nice.

You'll get repeated references to Adelaide because obviously most of the employment opportunities are in and around it. If you're definitely going to be working in the Riverland, then that would explain your choice. Renmark is a nice place, a bit too 'out of the way' for me, but you could do a lot worse.

Jim

Guest kangomik

It's a nice area, if you want to be out in the sticks, Waikeree (probably spelt wrong) is nice and has a good small town set up. You are of course right on the Murray in these areas, so free time doing water stuff should be good. Your closer to Victoria than to Adelaide so few of us will know whats on that side of the border.

These are towns where everyone will know your name, just look at the population figures to show this.

I hope you like flies and heat, if it gets to the 40's in Adelaide, then it nears 48's in the riverland. You will be lucky to see rain, apart from the crops and the town centre's it's quite barron.

I am not trying to put you off, just giving you a heads up. I like it out there, but i only visit for an hour or two. I would hate to land and make that 3 hour trip to the place you where going to settle.

My advice is still to land and then decide, take a drive out that way, but make sure you have a good look around first, You can have 40 acres of fruit farm cheap out there, but it will cost a fortune to keep the land watered!

Guest SA Great
You'll get repeated references to Adelaide because obviously most of the employment opportunities are in and around it. If you're definitely going to be working in the Riverland, then that would explain your choice. Renmark is a nice place, a bit too 'out of the way' for me, but you could do a lot worse.

Jim

Spot on Jim. To be honest mate SA really comprises of one place to live....Adelaide. I doubt if there would be any other poms living anywhere but Adelaide and you may find the country town attitude of places like Renmark and Murray Bridge a bit too much of a gap from what you are used to. It is hard enough emigrating to Adelaide but to go to one of those two towns would be a real culture shock. They are definitely not like an english village! Just my opinion and hope this helps.

Maybe try Adelaide first then travel out and visit those type of places when you get here to get a feel for it.

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

I appriciate all the replies, the problem i have is i'd love to come then find a place however i have 10 weeks till the family arrive and during this i have all the training to do, i'd like to know roughly what area id like to live, i dont know if these are areas where you can live and work, i know over here its not recommended as it can cause problems. Im also looking at the Murray bridge and Barossa areas.

Guest moonraker1959

Hi I have lived in SA for 30 years.Murray Bridge?I don't know think thats such a great place to bring up a family myself.I lived there temporarily quite a long time ago.The main street is fine(not what you'd call pretty but neither is the town!)It has a good range of shops,pubs ect(go onto Google Street View and you'll see what I mean.I always thought MB was abit on the rough side to be honest.My two brothers live in the Barossa and find it pretty ok,infact they know the local cop in their town pretty well(in a good way of course!:biglaugh:)I think if I were you,I;d personally head for the Barossa.Its far prettier,and has a more relaxed feel about it.Most people don't choose to visit Murray Bridge as such,most just past through it on the way to Melbourne!

I lived and worked in Loxton for a year and it's a nice place but very insular. Having said that if you're a six and a half footer and willing to play footy then you'll be a local in no time.:) Loxton High School is pretty good and considered better than Glossop which is near Berri.

As for the distance to Adelaide that just makes it a nice weekend away to go to the 'big smoke'.

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

Thanks for the info, going to Adelaide for the weekend would be nice, this area sound ok, near the top of my list at the mo:confused:

The other areas are murray bridge and Gawler. Murray bridge is in the same police area so wouldnt know which station i was getting if i went for that area.

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

Funny that i have another thread going for the Murray bridge area and all have pointed me towards the Barossa area. Ive been looing there and Elizabeth and Gawler area, appear decent areas with enough schools and central to several Police areas such as Barossa, Elizabeth , holden Hills or even Western Adelade which is the Port. All look populated areas to keep me busy however ive being made aware that there is a high turnover in Elizabeth so there must be a reason for that!!!

I do like the thought of the country however as stated its not like the country in England so i can imagine i would be on my own in barron lands!!!!

Guest kangomik

you will be on your own, and you have to think about the family also.

One of, if not the biggest pull to return is due to the partner feeling homesick. This is magnified by feeling solitary.

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

Shouldnt be on my own in the Elizabeth and surrounding areas wil i, you are right me and the wife have spoken and thats our main concern both her and the kids wanting to come home

Guest kangomik

By the look on the piks mate your kids will ove it, and the change will not be too much for them, i don't know the missus. It's fair to say that usually one side of the partnership wants to return more than the other, sometimes things happen to make this worse and kind of exagerate the situation.

Beleieve me i understand you want everything all planned out and everything to run smoothly, but i think the location is the hardest bit. It puzzles me how people buy places while still in the uk and have never been here, i know i couldn't do it. I looked at over 200 properties, thats walked over the door looked before i bought this.

You are comming from a big city/ town environment, with everything you need at the locak shop that is open for 24 hours a day.............. things just are not the same here mate, especially when you move out in the sticks.

Guest Ant1382 and kerry

Options are out and Berri Station is one of them, along with the following, Murray Bridge, Ports Piree, Agusta and Lincoln (dont really fancy the ports) Whyalla, Mt Gambia and all the metropolitan areas of Adelaide including Holden Hills Elizabeth and East and West Adelaide, these will probably be the location i choose to work as easy to get to from anywhere however i do like the sound of Berri and Murray bridge.

Im aware of wher Mt Gambia is couldnt be any further away.

Ive got till 10 Jan to make two Choices they state 1 country and 1 metropolitan area or 2 MEt areas.

Its a ponder!!!!!!