Advice Required (please) (port adelaide)

Guest markjl

Hello everyone

im going to be heading to adelaide early june with my girlfriend on a working holiday visa!

my plan is for us to get some temp work im in IT g/f is in beauty therapy if we dont get any work then not such a big deal but really want to give it a go and adelaide feels like the right choice from my research.

Im going to be looking for a 6month rental in adelaide and from looking on the internet i think port adelaide will suit us best some where like newport quays. anyway im going on a bit now but wanted to know if any one had any advice about the area and about how best to tackle the whole thing i must admit im nervous and really have no idea how im going to make it all work.

I live at Newport Quays, so feel free to ask any questions. Not sure if any of the apartments can be rented for just 6 months as most of the owners like to rent them out for a full year. Great place to live though! :)

Have you thought about where you might stay when you first arrive? It's unlikely (but not impossible) that you'll be able to secure a 6 month rental from the UK, so you'll most likely need somewhere to stay for 2-3 weeks whilst you sort stuff out.

Have a look at the end of page 4 on this post for IT recruitment agents:

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12650&page=4

Drop them an email a few weeks before you come out and then go and meet them when you first arrive.

Good luck

Phil

I think Donna looks after a couple of properties at Port Adelaide - might be worth dropping her an email to see if she can accommodate you when you first arrive, which will give you a chance to look around for a 6 month rental. Her email is djacob@westnet.com.au and her website is http://www.realestateowners.net.au/search.asp?lState=SA&Submit=search

When you go into the real estate websites search for Ethelton, I know someone that lives there and its a very nice modern apartment. She had problems renting here as she was moving from interstate and it seemed that they were quite good to give her a rental without her viewing the apartment.

I have a feeling that not a lot of people want to leave out there, as it is a bit far from the city. The train line is not working at the moment but it should be fixed later on.

Hey All

Thanks For coming back to me! im going to be looking at a month short term rental when we first arrive. In that time i will be looking hard for work and will defo register with those agenices. If we get any work even if its a 3 month contract i will then put everything i have into looking for a 6 month rental, theres no real point in me getting a 12 month rental as my visa will most likely run unless i can get a company to sponser me.

Ann, how hard was it to secure your rental? how long is the commute to the City and can you walk to the beach :) oh and have you had any spiders in your apartment?

Guest gingernuts

Hi

We are staying in one of the Newport Quays buildings for our validation trip at the end of March. There are a couple of short/medium term rental options that I found whilst looking around so these may be an option before you secure a longer term rental.

GN

Guest gingernuts

Hi

Dolphinity is one http://www.dolphinityapartments.com.au/index.htm - the person that owns/manages it is a regular poster here and the prices are excellent.

LJ Hooker manages another one http://www.ljhooker.com.au/property_profile.php?propertycode=1415989&propertytype=rental

There are of course more. Just do a search with the postcode 5015. Let me know how you get on.

GN

It was fairly simple fo us to get the rental, we went with toop and toop, but if you look on realestate.com or domain.com (type in ethelton as the suburb as that's what Newport Quays used to be known as, it's only the train station that has kept the name of Ethelton now). In my last post I was probably vague as there may be some rentals for 6 months, we just found that all the apartments that we viewed wanted us to lease for a year.

Been in the apratment since april and haven't seen one spider (thanfully). I've probablt jinxed it now and will see one after i log out from here, hehe.

Hope this info helps. Feel free to ask more questions and if I can help in anyway, I will try :)

When the trains are fully up and running, it only takes about 15-20 mins on the train into the city(they're currently re-designing the bridge at port adelaide so we currently have to get replacement buses and then a train at another station (Woodville). There is currently a station outside the apartments, but that won't be back in use until the end of february due to the re-design at port adelaide). The train will be back to normal when you arrive though, so no need to worry about the replacement bus etc.

Excuse any typo's, it's currently new years day and i think I may be slightly inebriated!

thanks for the links Gingernuts one of them was very good funished and bills inc seems pretty good for 400$ over 3 months the other link is far to much for me at 950$ a week!

and Ann that is great news no spiders in the unit gives me hope i foolishly looked at utube videos of them last night freaked me out a little. if you dont mind me asking how much did you secure your rental for and have you run into any problems since you have been there? also how the crime in the area are you safe to walk the streets at night, any verbal pom bashing? Also how has the weather been one of the main reasons why i want to go is the sunny skies? its been raining solid here for the last 3 days :(

Have great night everybody bring on adelaide 2010 :)

when we first arrived we stayed at one of donna jacobs appartments at hagen avenue.lovelly 3 bed house overlooking the quay with dolphins.Port adelaide old town is a bit "lively"at night but nothing too lairy.seems to be a lot of African immigrants being housed in some parts.reminded me of England.we did like the area though.

Guest Anne29

Never been out in Port Adelaide, (it's bang next door to Newport Quays) because I've been told that it's a bit rough, but only going on what I've been told by aussie friends.

We have a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment (one of the bathrooms is ensuite) and the owners were wanting $340 per week for it. We managed to get the price down to $310 a week, so you may be able to negotiate. The price will all depend on the size of the apartment. Some of the owners are doing a deal where you pay 11 months rent and get the last month free but not all, so ask the real estate agent when you look around. We have a friend in the same apartment block as us but on the floor below and he only pays $290 a week, this is because he has one bedroom and one study (the study is really tiny, you'd only fit a double bed in it and nothing else, but ideal if you don't need any storage).

The good thing to know about these apartments is that gas is free for rental residents (the owners pay it) because the apartments don't have separate gas meters so it would be too hard to calculate how much to charge. Also water is free for us (think it's the same as the gas, no individual meter). You also have access to a swimming pool (it's indoor on the first floor of the building), a spa, steam room, sauna and a gym (which isn't huge but it serves it's purpose). They have a lot of benefits. Plus we're not far from West Lakes shopping centre and we have Port Canal shopping centre right next to us.

Hope this info helps. We had to find all the above out when we looked around, but am happy to help others as it's nice to know information like this before you get here. :)

Guest rachinadelaide
Hi

Dolphinity is one http://www.dolphinityapartments.com.au/index.htm - the person that owns/manages it is a regular poster here and the prices are excellent.

LJ Hooker manages another one http://www.ljhooker.com.au/property_profile.php?propertycode=1415989&propertytype=rental

There are of course more. Just do a search with the postcode 5015. Let me know how you get on.

GN

Thanks for the plug!! My parents arrive at the start of Feb and will be staying there for 3 months so it's all booked out till May (and yes, they will be paying the going rate!!!).

Best of luck, Rach

Guest rachinadelaide

PS - for those people living in the West (or anywhere for that matter - don't want to be 'suburbist') the new restaurant at Newport Quays is finally open (after many months of Coming Soon). It's called Portobello and has views over the river and Hart's Mill. It's off Wirra Drive. It looks great. We will be sampling it very soon.....

Guest markjl
when we first arrived we stayed at one of donna jacobs appartments at hagen avenue.lovelly 3 bed house overlooking the quay with dolphins.Port adelaide old town is a bit "lively"at night but nothing too lairy.seems to be a lot of African immigrants being housed in some parts.reminded me of England.we did like the area though.

can anyone back this up, how many african immigrants live in the area, im not racist but i dont want to live in an area with lots of african immigrants that gets lively at night, kind of choose adelaide because i wanted to get away from that.

:(