On Arrival Accomodation

Guest markbevjake

Guest markbevjake

Hi all.

Flights booked and be arriving in Adelaide mid March.:shocked:

I'm sure this has been covered but are there any recommendations for OAA. I know it's very much a case of "get what's going" and at the price that's fine but just wondered what people put down as their preferred location and what they got. Is there a magic formula or is it really down to luck.

Any information gratefully received.:)

Mark, Bev & Jake.

Guest The Dimmocks

Hi, we applied for OAA, should hopefully find out in a few weeks, we requested area so will let you know if we get it and if we got the requested area. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Bet you as excited as we are

Whereabouts in Wolverhampton are you, we live in Hurst Hill, not far from Sedgley.

Michelle

I hope i dont burst your bubble but...

I have yet to meet or speak to someone that applied for OAA.

I have been told from a genuine OZ that no one from the UK gets it unless you are blessed.

These OAA houses go to immigrants from the Asian/South African community.

Please feel free anyone that can prove me wrong on this matter?

Rob and Mel

Guest salisbury massive

OAA is totally unbiased, its purely a case of first come, first served. It doesn't matter where you are from and many members on this forum have experienced Oaa. As a general rule you can request an area and assuming they have a house there and it its available you could get lucky. On the whole you get where you are given. What you must remember is, thats its a very basic cheap base to start your life here. Most of them don't even have a telly, its that basic.

we had oaa in glandore it was basic.it had all you need except tv and phone it was clean comfy and cheap.we stayed for about 9 weeks gave us time to have a good look around.it was $144 pw all in,compare that to a caravan or short term rental you have nothing to lose.cheers mark

Guest kangomik

We got Oaa, a lot of people don't know about it, i asked how it was allocated when we met the manager, he said it comes down to who is next in the que, and if the time scale fits in.

Saying i will only live in X and a arrive on Y date is vertually impossibly for them to accomadate mainly due to the area. We notified them very early on, and only found out 10 days before we flew if we had it or not.

They are booked for 12 weeks or something, but most leave before this time is up. They are basic, but trust me they do have everything you need to live, treat them as they are intended and you will get over it. They are very cheap and help you find your way around.

I hope i dont burst your bubble but...

I have yet to meet or speak to someone that applied for OAA.

I have been told from a genuine OZ that no one from the UK gets it unless you are blessed.

These OAA houses go to immigrants from the Asian/South African community.

Please feel free anyone that can prove me wrong on this matter?

Rob and Mel

We got it when we came over (back end of '07). At the time, we were communicating with five other UK families on various migration discussion boards who were arriving at more or less the same time, and they all got OAA as well.

Jim

Guest kangomik

Yes stevo we got Reservoir road, Modbury, vertually oposite TTP. Colourful neighbours but very friendly and they all offered help in one way or another. I think it was you who drove by to check it out?

We quickly found the library, and had a kick around nearly every night in Civic Park while watching the various birds. The experience was good, granted it isn't the Ritz and will certainy raise eyebrows but it was clean cheap and gave a good base close to everything required.

I have met a few who got oaa and they all say the same, it's a place to stay untill you get a rental sorted, it gives you a breather.

I remember mopping the floors at 3 am because the jetlag woke me early, something to talk about at least!

Guest markbevjake

Thanks all for the info.

As I thought it appears to be very much left to chance.

I'll put some areas near Glenelg down and see how far North I get. :huh:

We will probably be on the move by the time we get to know either way, so wish me luck trying to sort out short term rental with 3 weeks before we arrive.

BTW - Michelle we live in Willenhall, if you fancy meeting up for a pre-move meet let us know and the OH will sent you a PM to sort. If you're too busy (which all of us soon to be moving will fully appreciate) all the best with the flights and maybe see you over there.

Mark, Bev & Jake

Guest The Dimmocks

Hi, Willenhall, my sister lives there. Small world isn't it. A meet up would be great, would be great to fit one in not sure when though, have another nightmare situation to sort out now as hubby has skidded on his way home from work tonight so not sure what damage has been done to his car as another one hit him. Thankfully he is okay but it going to make more stuff to sort out. Really could have done without it I got enough going on in my head. He blocked the A449 off by Stew Pony so don't head that way just yet LOL. Will be in touch if can sort a date out. If not will be in touch when you get over to Adelaide, we should hopefully be staying up north as that where Justin's job is based so be great to keep in touch, at least have someone who can understand our accent LOL.

Michelle

Guest Mikemouseton
we had oaa in glandore it was basic.it had all you need except tv and phone it was clean comfy and cheap.we stayed for about 9 weeks gave us time to have a good look around.it was $144 pw all in,compare that to a caravan or short term rental you have nothing to lose.cheers mark

Snap. Is the bloke opposite still a massive pizza addict?

Snap. Is the bloke opposite still a massive pizza addict?[/quote

we stayed there about 4yrs ago, not sure about the pizza fan but we did have the very rude, racist, drunk man down stairs:err:.....he would bang on the ceiling when my youngest ran around so i made him do it even more and he told me to F off back to my own country u black C***(im not even black).....sorry if anyones got this place, i would not let my comments put you off. it was a great location (walking distance to the tram so no rush for a car) you just need to pay no attention to him he will soon fall into a drunken sleep :SLEEP:and the old lady in the other downstairs flat was lovely..

After all that i think i would have liked the pizza addict better PMSL

Jo