Rental prices seem v expensive... is this right?

Hazel M

Hi

Just as the title says really - at the moment here in the UK our mortgage is about £650 per month... but as we are most likely going to be renting for about a year (ish) when we arrive I am starting to look into prices.

It seems that lots of rentals work out at approx $700 PER WEEK, which is going to be around £1600 per month. :shocked:

We just CANNOT afford anything like that much.

Does anyone if its possible to get a rental for more like our current mortgage amount (about 1300 dollars I think it works out at - PER MONTH) or am I seriously deluded??????!!!!

Any info appreciated. It's starting to worry me somewhat :unsure:

Thanks

Hazel.

Guest the4hopes

It depends where you are looking to rent, we pay 300 a week for a small 3 bedroom house, 2 bathrooms, we are about 15 mins south of the city, but if you go further south you can get a nice 4 bedroomed home for the same price, have you looked on www.realestate.com.au that will give you some idea.

Guest Guitar_Rick

I think the average rental is around $320 a week. There were some articles in the media recently about rent prices. I can tell you that we pay $275 a week for a 3 bed, 2 bath place in Woodcroft, and I know of others in this area from around that price up to $350 ish a week. Not much help I know but $700 seems extortionate. Have you looked on www.realestate.com.au ?

Sharon

Guest kelv&haley

what areas are you looking at that cost that much???? we are in seaford,and i would say the average rent around here is $300 per week give or take depending on decor,garden etc.

Must admit i have never seen a rental that expensive but then to be honest i have never looked at places in that price range. I am currently renting a 3 bedroom place for $250 a wk in Reynella but i have recently been looking at moving and from what i have seen to get a nice place with things that i need (proper AC, storage, flyscreens) it would be up to $300 a wk. As Sharon says have a look at realestate.

Ahhhh - thank you so much for the quick replies. Maybe Ive been on the wrong sites ... I'll have to check out realestate.com.au for rentals (dont know why , ive only looked at that for buying so far - not rentals) I couldnt understand why everything Id seen was so expensive...

We are looking quitre far out from the city, our preference is areas like Mount Compass, McLaren Vale, Aldinga - for preferably a 4 bed with garden. Fingers crossed then that I'd started working myself up for nothing. :)

Guest kangomik

you must be looking at short term rentals for that sort of cash, or mansions on westlakes with pools and a mooring ( why they state that i do not know!)

We had a 3 year old part furnished 3 bed 3 bathroom, double garage, reverse air con for $350 per week in Dernancourt, granted right on Lower North East road, but we stayed 12 months so it wsn't to noisey.

Guest the dobsons

hi

you should be ok, it is when you get near the beach that the rents are expensive.

you will have difficulty renting while still in the uk as agents alter the photos so the houses look much bigger than they realy are and people dont want them when they arrive and im not joking they make a garden look like a football field, it is best to look at somthing in the house like a chair or somthing and you should see what i mean

At $700 a week you would be looking at short term accommodation. A furnished house at Seaciff on a 12 month lease has just been signed up for $395 while a furnished unit $275. Both location, location. A rental on a main road will cost less than a better location that is quieter.

Generally the further out from the city you go the cheaper the rent. But then you pay out for petrol and your time if having to travel in to the city. Good luck. Margaret

hi

you should be ok, it is when you get near the beach that the rents are expensive.

you will have difficulty renting while still in the uk as agents alter the photos so the houses look much bigger than they realy are and people dont want them when they arrive and im not joking they make a garden look like a football field, it is best to look at somthing in the house like a chair or somthing and you should see what i mean

Very true, small pools look like Olympians could train in them.

Cooler

Guest MarkIngram
Hi

Just as the title says really - at the moment here in the UK our mortgage is about £650 per month... but as we are most likely going to be renting for about a year (ish) when we arrive I am starting to look into prices.

It seems that lots of rentals work out at approx $700 PER WEEK, which is going to be around £1600 per month. :shocked:

We just CANNOT afford anything like that much.

Does anyone if its possible to get a rental for more like our current mortgage amount (about 1300 dollars I think it works out at - PER MONTH) or am I seriously deluded??????!!!!

Any info appreciated. It's starting to worry me somewhat :unsure:

Thanks

Hazel.

Hi Hazel - $700 per week sounds more like a short term rental cost or holiday let.....either that, or it's a pretty outstanding house. You should be looking at anything from $275 - $400 for a 3 bed house....and for a tiny bit more you can get something larger - closer to the beach etc etc.

You've just got to keep looking about and when you get here do a lot of open houses and apply apply apply.....which is difficult to do from the UK...keep looking on here though, there are often leases being broken and you may be able to get ahead of the game...it's very competitive the rental game...YOU are the one being scrutinised....you may love a house, but you may not get it...so be prepared to maybe offer the agent a better deal (ie 6months up front or something).

good luck.

Guest stufi1997

hi hazel we pay $210 per week but we stay in Victor Harbor...too far to commute to the city, Mount compass is generally cheaper rents than us cos there is very little there. Aldinga more expensive it has lots of building going on though and have never looked in Willunga to be homest I would imagine it would be similar to Aldinga though. In general the further you are from the city the cheaper the rents and the less competition...we applied for our favourite and got it no probs good luck fiona

hi hazel we pay $210 per week but we stay in Victor Harbor...too far to commute to the city, Mount compass is generally cheaper rents than us cos there is very little there. Aldinga more expensive it has lots of building going on though and have never looked in Willunga to be homest I would imagine it would be similar to Aldinga though. In general the further you are from the city the cheaper the rents and the less competition...we applied for our favourite and got it no probs good luck fiona

I LOVE VICTOR HARBOR!!!! If it were just a bit closer to Flinders its where Id choose to live. We stayed at Encounter Bay for a week in 2007. Quite jealous!!

Guest BurgessFamily

We pay $260/wk for a 3 bed house in Huntfield Heights (about 30km south of city). It's not too bad, but I've seen better places but you'd be expecting to pay closer to $350/wk. At least we have Air-con, couldn't live without that!!

As for the bills, it's about $250-300/qtr each for gas & electricity. Broadband/phone package is about $100/mth for a 1.5Mb connection (pretty basic by uk standards - I see BT have rolled out a 40Mb connection for £19.99!).

I guess in the end it's not about the money, but the beaches & good weather etc...

Hi Hazel,

I hope all of the replies have reassured you. We pay 350 dollars per week for an old, but fab 4 bed house with amazing seaviews in Hallett Cove. Cheap for what you get I think. Good luck with the house hunting.