property development

kevt

Always wanted to do property development/ renovations.

just wondered if anyone is building / renovating an invetment property and how you got started, seems you need a good bit of money behind you and you need to get property or land at a good price to make it worth while.

Also do you sell the property straight away or rent it.

just wanted to hear peoples thoughts and ideas.

thanks

kevin

i just wondered how people make money from it, as a painter of mostly new houses i paint a lot of investment properties and you see the same people building several house at a time, which makes you think there must be money in it.

someone please tell me how to make some money.

Kevin

There is a company - I think they're called Ironfish? - who hold free seminars talking about investment properties and how to make money from them. A lot of it goes over my head but the term "Negative Gearing" rings a bell! Something about the tax laws here making it beneficial. There are an awful lot of the costs involved with an investment property that are tax deductible, so if you are earning good money and paying lots of tax already, it can reduce that, then the income comes from rent, and the long term investment from the property value rising (I think). As I say, a lot goes over my head, but google Ironfish and see if you can go along to one of their seminars (Property Investment | Ironfish - Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Adelaide Auckland - I did it for you!) and I'm sure all will become clear!

PS Stamp duty means it is beneficial to build a new property I think as you only pay stamp duty on the land value, and depreciation on all the fixtures and fittings is tax deductible from memory so obviously as the depreciation curve is steepest at the start of the life of the asset, if this is a big factor in your financial calculations a new rental property makes sense, not to mention the fact that rents for a newer property can be higher.

By the way, just thought I'd add, go along to the seminar and get the info and find out about all the tax implications and stuff, but then look around and don't necessarily use all the people they suggest - mortgage brokers, realestate agents, property management companies, accountants etc - without checking out alternatives

Guest Jim Scott

Hi Kevin,

I would be happy to have a chat with you about this anytime you like. Yes, money can be made from property investment, and there are "lots" of different ways to do it. But, obviously there are risks, and you need to understand them before you jump into anything.

Beware that many property investment advisors are paid referral fees, from developers, for recommending their clients invest in properties the developers are selling. The referral fees can be "a lot", many thousands and really this is included in the price you pay for the property...

In a lot of cases, the properties can be "off the plan" (arguably a high risk investment strategy at the best of times), sold as a straight deal between the developer and the investor. This type of transaction can also be considered "off market" because no real estate agents are involved so the property may not be marketed to the general public...

So, the big question is are you paying a fair price for the property??? I am personally aware of people who previously had advice from so called property investment advisors and the Bank(s) valued the properties they bought 10% or more below the price they paid! What does this tell you about the investment advice you received?

So, caution and research is recommended.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I guess if it was easy to make money we would all be doing it. I suppose like a lot of people you take a look at your life and think about how you can improve it.

anyway like you say Andy i better paint some more houses, i guess your'e best to stick with what you know, at least for now anyway.

kevin

Hi Kevin

I get a lot of referrals from The Investors Club, who are an Australia wide property investment club. You don't need a lot of money to get into the property investors market. You just need your finances structuring appropriately. Most successful property investors just start by leveraging the equity that is currently available in their residential property and build their portfolio from there.

I offer a FREE service and would be more than happy to discuss this further.

Kind Regards

Howard.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Kevin

I get a lot of referrals from The Investors Club, who are an Australia wide property investment club. You don't need a lot of money to get into the property investors market. You just need your finances structuring appropriately. Most successful property investors just start by leveraging the equity that is currently available in their residential property and build their portfolio from there.

I offer a FREE service and would be more than happy to discuss this further.

Kind Regards

Howard.

Hi Howard,

thanks for the offer but i already have Andy Williams on here to arrange my finances (would recommend him).

just gathering information to learn a little more before taking the plunge.

many thanks

kevin

buy a block with a run down house on it, demolish it, sub divide it, 2 villas at $350k each, profit of around $40k to $70k. Simple if you've got the balls.

Stevo.

if you have the balls, the money and a good understanding of the local goverment requirements regarding sub division, for example minimum land size for the type of property, minimum distance between house and street and many more, different councils have different rules and also different rules within the area.

That said it can and is done all the time, do your research well.:)

Simon