Houses with pools

Guest k8bug79

Guest k8bug79

Hi, we'll be looking to rent when we get to Adelaide. Certainly for the first few years. Obviously ideally we would love a house witha pool, just to complete the dream lifestyle :jiggy:

But looking on realestate.com.au it doesn't seem that there are many that come with them. There are lots of lovely large houses in our prospective price range (looking at 350- 600 a week)

Is it that there aren't many houses with pools? Are they just out of our price range? I noticed also that the listings don't make a big deal of them if they do have them. Guess they are just a bit more of the "norm" over there????

Thanks

Hi, we'll be looking to rent when we get to Adelaide. Certainly for the first few years. Obviously ideally we would love a house witha pool, just to complete the dream lifestyle :jiggy:

But looking on realestate.com.au it doesn't seem that there are many that come with them. There are lots of lovely large houses in our prospective price range (looking at 350- 600 a week)

Is it that there aren't many houses with pools? Are they just out of our price range? I noticed also that the listings don't make a big deal of them if they do have them. Guess they are just a bit more of the "norm" over there????

Thanks

Dear Kate,

There are rentals with pools but in general they can sometimes be difficult to find. We have been here 10 weeks and are looking to purchase (the perfect house with the perfect pool) and are struggling as well. The reality is that a pool doesn't add value to the property as many aussies consider it a lot of work and money - along with issues like water restrictions, etc. Therefore for a rental property - it doesn't necessarily make sense to an investor. It costs roughly $25-35K to put an inground pool in and you'll never see that return. I often wish you coul put pool into the aus real estate search engine but it doesn't work like that. Your price range is absolutely fine and hopefully you will find one but you just have to keep looking!

Liz

Hya

There are houses with pools , but they are hard to find, and I think if your looking at property close to the coast theres prob less demand for pools, we're in northern suburbs and managed to get one by luck more than anything as we didnt even know which suburbs were nice or anything, and a lot of rental properties have open days for you to visit, perhaps it would be best to register an interest on some property agents books and they can search for a property for you.

Goodluck with the search and move

xxx

Guest nishman

Google maps give a good idea of the amount of pools there are (satellite photos).

Also, when you're driving round looking at houses before the opens, black-matting on the roof will indicate solar heating for a pool...

The amount of pools may be linked to amount of poms - as it's on many of our "must-have" lists - even if you're 5mins from the beaches :)

Guest emaas99

Hi - pools are actually very expensive to maintain with cleaning, chemicals etc, and we have such stringent water restrictians here that you can only refill them now and again etc, so renters generally choose not to have to hve the responsibility of it. I would recommend living somewere nearer the coast so that it's only 10 mins in the car at the most to hop to the beach on a hot day!

A pool is not all it's cracked up to be - we have one and yes it's nice to have on hot days, but does require daily maintenance to keep it in tip-top shape. I reckon for over 6 months of the year, unless you have it heated, it's just going to be an unused pond in the back garden.

At this time of year it's recommended you keep the pool filter on for 8 hours a day and electricity ain't cheap over here.

If I were you I'd take it off your 'must have' list and put it on the 'nice to have' list, there's plenty of beaches nearby anyway.

HTH

Phil

Guest guest569

About 1$ a day for the electric. Go for a salt chlorinated pool to save on chemical costs. A creepy crawley will keep it clean and get your water tested once a month over the summer( free) you get 6 good months a year use maybe 7 if you don't mind a chilly dip in april. The other 5 months it makes a great water feature for your garden and entertaining area.:jiggy:

Guest Bluenose

I'm actually looking at landscaping my garden and putting a pool in...I was starting to doubt our decision until your post....so thanks! We always go to Bali and live by the pool so we thought why not have our own. :-)

It's true that pools aren't always going to add value to your home....because of the added maintence + cost etc...I tend to find Aussies generally (this is a put down merely an observation) want to have a easy life and can't be bothered with the extra work.

If the pool is done properly then....not just a hole with water in it surrounded by concrete then it can be a clincher....especially if you're selling during summer! ;-)

Cheers

J

Guest motlyman

Passionate pom summed it up well.

I would add that a pool cover, pvc or liquid, will stop evaporation.

There are also 3 speed environmentally friendly pumps on the market now. Figures show the the savings on electricity will pay for the pump in no time.

Solar heating will extend usage another couple of months or so.

I dont believe they are expensive to maintain after the initial outlay. There are heaps of products to make life easier these days.

Colin

Guest PomNotinOz

Hi Kate

I don't have any advice re houses with pools but I noticed that you are hoping to be in Adelaide in Jan 2011 which is the same time we hope to move out here and that your daughter Eve is the same age as mine and has the same name!

We only submitted our application at the beginning of last month so probaly won't hear anything for a while yet.

Sue

Passionate pom summed it up well.

I would add that a pool cover, pvc or liquid, will stop evaporation.

There are also 3 speed environmentally friendly pumps on the market now. Figures show the the savings on electricity will pay for the pump in no time.

Solar heating will extend usage another couple of months or so.

I dont believe they are expensive to maintain after the initial outlay. There are heaps of products to make life easier these days.

Colin

Is the pool cover a legal requirement? Friends had a pool in Qld and as you say, cheap to run and certainly a blessing to have there.

Cooler

Guest SCOTTYSUKSA

Since we moved to australia 7 years ago, we have bought two properties and put pools in. It does cost a bit to put them in, but the maintenance on new pools is minimal. The automatic cleaners are excellent and the solar blanket (which is cheap to buy) is a must. It keeps the pool a lot warmer. We currently live in highbury. We find that it is lovely to entertain. People always want to come around for a pool party and a bbq. It is a good way to make friends and it saves travelling to the beach all the time.

We will be selling up at the end of 2010. We have bought a property that we are currently renting out. When we move into that, we will put a pool in that also.

We love them.

Helen

Guest kangomik

I was told a pool adds $40K to the value of the property...... not bad for a $30K investment......I was told you will only get the 40K if you sell to a pom:err:

Water, size, useage, maintainence costs. And the pavers :biglaugh:

Guest k8bug79

Sorry for not thanking you all sooner. THe boards went down after I posted and then I have been away for a couple of weeks. THanks for your responses. I would like a pool as I live near the beach now and hate it (sorry) I don't mind walking on the beach but sitting there nope and I am scared of the sea. (Although love to sail on it!!) and the sea in Oz is much worse than the sea over here. I did think that a poolw ould be an expense etc so maybe it wil have to be on our wish lish for the future.

Guest motlyman
Just to add, with new pools a permit is required to fill them and this in only granted on proof of a cover.

Jim

The liquid blanket is now water smart marked. This means it is now acceptable for a permit.

They are available as a dosing system plumbed in or as balls to simply drop into the skimmer box. These last for approx 30 days.

Colin

We have a pool at our Christies Beach properties. I agree with all the comments about maintenance and costs. You could always "contract out" the maintenance though.

There is an interesting point regarding safety though. While it is a requirement to have the pool fenced and have self closing gates it is not a requirement to have a pool net. This is totally different from a cover which just prevents evaporation. A pool net is a tensioning device that is brilliant to prevent young kids from drowning....essentially a net that fastens right around the pool in the event that young kids fall in. They are really scarse in Oz which is weird as they are really safety conscious here. We paid $1700 to have one installed a few months ago.

If anyone has a pool and young kids I really recommend them. I will find the number of the company that installed ours and post it on the site.

Tamara

Thanks

We were looking at renting our house out that has a pool but have now thought against. We were told by a couple of agents that renting a house out with a pool is more hassle than it is worth as the tenants tend not to keep up with the maintenance of it and it could be a costly excerise if anything went wrong!! That could be why a alot of houses with pools are not up for rent. We are choosing to sell instead.

Our pool is actually quite easy to look after as it is indoors therefore it needs vacumming probably once/twice year and a tub of chlorine for $50 will last 3 months....its a god send on those really hot days and nice to come home after a days work for a dip and a cool down.

Good luck in finding the right house for you...looks like you have got a very good budget and I am sure you will find a lovely house in that price range.:)

Exactly right!

We rented out our Christies Beach house (unfurnished) for a year before we renovated it. What a nightmare! My OH was there every week...every time it rained...every time the wind blew!!! The tennants didn't take any notice regarding pool chemicals and the pool cleaner.

Having said that....we have now invested in a large filter and as long as the pool cleaner is connected and the water level is topped up things are fine. It does cost quite a lot with chemicals and electricity but for the Summer months it is certainly worth it.

Tamara