Green homes?

Sears Family

We've looked into this before, its becoming quite important I think, and I think its a really sensible idea to get solar panels and become more or less self sufficient energy wise.

There's a green section on Real Estate.com here: Focus - Renovate - realestate.com.au although there are probably other better sites, maybe do a google search.

Other things to think of are ceilling insulation and if you can afford it, double glazing, which is becoming more important here at last... better for summer as well as winter. Not to mention of course recycling the greywater, collecting rainwater...

We aren't in a position to do any of that atm cos we are renting but they would be priorities I think if we moved and got our own place.

We have relatives moving into a new development where all the houses have all those things, and its a pioneer project I think, though v expensive builds.

Guest cornish Busdriver

We have solar hot water, solar heating for the pool and looking into solar electric for the house.

Iit will take 12 to 18 months to pay for itself but then cheap electric.

So far we have been very impressed how efficient the solar is.

We didnt put the solar hotwater or pool heating in , it was already in the house when we brought it.

Guest nishman

There's still some rebates / incentives available for solar at least, think the insulation's just been pulled...

Many of the new build areas now require solar hot water or similar.

Sustainable living is becoming a big thing here, and not limited to the "hippy" eco-villages :) Guy at work is leaving at the end of the week to support his daughter in her ventures in building/designing viable "green-smart" houses

Guest rachinadelaide

You can have a home energy audit and then apply for an interest free 'green loan' to get things like solar panels to make your house more energy efficient.

There is lots of info here:

South Australia State Government rebates | Home Green

Booking form | Home Green

What are the benefits of a Home Sustainability Assessment? | Home Green

Rach