Oaa

Guest k8bug79

Guest k8bug79

Hi I know this may seem a bit cheeky, but I have been reading about the OAA and how you have to be ona certain visa to be able to apply for it.

We are trying to get to Adelaide and settle permanantly. We originally looked at the Silled migrant visa going for state sponsorship by SA. We were setting off on this route and as my husband is a chef with good skills and work history and good qualifications we were fairly confident of our chances of sucess. However after speaking with an agent and some research we found out that in actual fact as my husbands Father had been born in Australia he wouldn't be able to apply for a skilled migrant as actually he was eligible for citizenship by descent. Great that has made our lives a lot easier. But we have never been to Australia, my husbands family don't live there, my father in law lived there for only his first year of life and has never been back, so it is pure chance that we are able to gain access in this way.

Now I know the answer to this is probably no. But I was wondering if anyone knew whether it was worth our while contacting the SA government and asking about the possibility of using the OAA service given that whilst we have not got the skilled migrant visa that we are still a skilled new resident moving to SA? Will we be laughed out of the place or has anyone heard of them considering other circumstances?

I am the sort of person who says nothing ventured nothing gained and feel its worth a well written letter to explore the opportunity, after all they can only say no. But wanted to hear from fellow PIA's to see what you thought

Thanks

Hi Kate - I guess it's worthwhile asking the question - they can only say no. However, my feeling is that they probably will say no. Even for those who have the eligible visas OAA is very sought after with the majority of applicants not getting it - they only have about 50 properties across Adelaide. For those who can apply they don't know until about 2-3 weeks before they go if they've got it or not, so if you are one of those who have not, you then only have 3 weeks to find alternative accommodation. We were very fortunate to get it when we first came here (last May) and we were very pleased with it.

Best of luck to you either way you decide.

Wendy