rental inspections

Lol63

Hi all we are havin our first rental inspection on Thursday 18th Mar, the house is clean and tidy, does it have to be show house standard or family standard, and is there anythin in particular we need to know before hand. Estate agent has said it will take approx 2 hrs and if we are not in will let themselves in, I will defo be in as I don't think it's right they do it in your absence.

They have also phoned today to ask when it would be appropriate to come and value the property, does this mean the landlord may be thinkin of sellin or puttin the rent up?

Never rented before so we are a little unsure of procedure, any help or advice would be great.

Guest the4hopes

When we had our inspection they were in and out in about 20 mins, gave me time to stay out of the way and walk down to the shop!

I must admit we did thoroughly clean, think it shows respect for someone elses property. We had excellent ticks in all the boxes! Even the grass we hadn't watered!

Not sure about the valuation though, ask the agents, as you have a right to know.

I think 2 hours is a bit long. We always treated the inspection as a chance to "spring clean".

Certainly did cobwebs inside and out and all the windows, etc. as well as a really good clean inside, especially the shower. Never had any problems and it is the opportunity for you to point anything you would like fixed as well.

The valuation may also be if the landlord is using the equity in that house to finance the purchase of another, not necessarily a sale.

Guest needtogonow

We spent 18 months in Switzerland where the swiss believe "cleanliness is next to Godliness" and where on the final inspection the letting agents would wear white gloves to use to see how clean the inside of the oven and washing machine was!

I must admit I am getting somewhat worried as I have seen and read some bad experiences on here with Landlords. Is there any tips us newbies could be given beforehand to watchout for?

Thankyou

we always go for the really good spring clean and inspection lasts about 10 minutes, 1st inspection the guy spent all the time talking about his gout and then remembered he had left his wife i the car and zoomed off:goofy: no wonder the last tenants were able to hide their dog for 2 years!! they have had a bit of a moan about the grass but looking around at all the other houses ours is no different so stuff them, just had last ever inspection and glad the hassle is over!!:)

hi when we had our first inspection, our landlord came with the agent, but she is nice....we just made sure the windows are clean ( its always sandy donw here at seaford), toilets esp. the shower partition...bathrooms, the floor....and if they provide u with dishwasher make sure its clean...and dont forget the hood of the cooker if you got one as well as the oven....

Yes everyone's said it really. I just make sure everything is extremely clean (makes it nice for us afterwards so we too use it as an opportunity to spring clean) and I always make sure the oven and grill trays are clean - but they have never once looked in the oven.

Our agents use it as a maintenance request time too so there are usually a few things I want to show them that need doing, like screen door re-meshing etc. It usually takes 15-20 mins depending on how long we chat, and although they don't give a specific time I do usually ring her and try to arrange a specific time so that she is aware at certain times of day there will be children asleep in certain bedrooms!

The inspections are every quarter (for us) and I do usually feel they come around too quick!

Guest Lisado

A very touchy supject for me.

Despite the house being gleaming - they landlords still werent happy.

My one piece of advice - never be out of the house when the landlord / agents come to do the inspection. We trusted ours and what they came back with was a pack of lies so on re-inspection we made sure we were both there and went round every room with them.

This time we took photos of everything as evidence the house was immaculate - in fact now I think I am developing OCD - as they have a tendnacy just to "turn up" :err:

Good Luck

Hi

When we had ours, the agent was here for abt 30 mins max. She checked the the fire alarm is in working order n if the house is ell maintained so yes you have to clean thoroughly(which is a pain!).

We had the valuation few days ago, haven't heard fr them but I think they're going to put up the rent!

Hope this helps.

Guest Im Here

My one piece of advice - never be out of the house when the landlord / agents come to do the inspection. We trusted ours and what they came back with was a pack of lies so on re-inspection we made sure we were both there and went round every room with them.

This time we took photos of everything as evidence the house was immaculate - in fact now I think I am developing OCD - as they have a tendnacy just to "turn up" :err:

Good Luck

Have a read through this Lisa

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/files/inform_brochure.pdf

This will let you know what your rights are

Guest Stacey

Hi

My advice is to make it as clean as you can.

Unfortunately from my experience with landlords here they will do anything to try and keep your deposit so don't give them any reason to. Most of the places I rented were filthy when I moved in but I made sure they were spotless when I moved out!

Rental agencies here seem to be a law unto themselves and make up the rules as they go! We had a faulty garage door in one house and despite reporting it so many times it wasn't fixed. It opened on its own in the middle of the night once and hit the front of my car it didn't cause much damage luckily but they wouldn't pay for it!

Of course not all landlords/agencies are like this but I would just say be in when they inspect and make it as clean as you can and you should be fine.

Good luck

Stacey

x

Yes I would NEVER let them inspect when I am not here. Agree the photos is a good idea. I think Landlords the world over want to find reasons to keep deposits, cos there is always something that needs fixing, I suppose they want to tax us for it to make it easier for them.

By the way, no-one renting should be without a Magic Eraser. Get them from any supermarket - they just get marks off everything. Including biro and felt and pencil off walls and woodwork. But not just that, fantastic for grubby switches, fingerprints etc. I've cleaned half of the last tenants marks off the walls before inspections here with one, and it means I can be a better parent because I don't have to pass the anxiety of keeping everything perfect because it is 'not ours' to our children. Its hard, but I feel they should feel secure enough at home without me having to say ' don't draw on the walls they aren't ours'. Not that my children draw on walls as a rule but my 2YO went through a bit of a spot of it a while ago, or sometimes it might happen by accident. Can just treat it like a normal 'offence' without the rental anxiety making me crosser. Because I know I can just wipe it off really really easily. Actually I think that has probably reduced the incidences of it anyway.

I'm not sponsored by Magic Erasers by the way, just never heard of them before I move here and they are just fantastic. :)

Good Luck

They are not allowed to just turn up and inspect the property they have to give you notice of any inspections so you can refuse them entry!!

Had the inspection yesterday, lasted all of 10 mins, she seemed a bit up herself but said everythin was fine, she said the landlord will be made to put in new aircon by Sept/Oct......whoopi doo we have already done a full summer without one and not even a "sorry". Our lease is up beg of Nov and we have no intention of renewin it

Our first Rental last year was a nightmare.Some Agents seem to think we are all second class citizens,can talk to us like muck,and look down their nose at tenants.On our second inspection it all got to much for me,and when the stuck up cow who came to inspect the crap house we were in,and started with the insulting talk of how there was dust on the skirting,marks around the lightswitch etc.I blew the old fuse and told it to FO and don't come back,as the house will be spotless when we leave,meantime we will live without interference,as we are paying through the nose for the privelege.I also said if this is not satisfactory please inform the owner and we will get TF out of it.Never saw that cow again.House we are now renting we have no issues with,Landlord is good,never gives any problems,and nor do we,he wants his dosh every week,and we want to be left alone to live our lives.Both of us are happy.:D

Guest mayjess

We didnt have any probs last time, but after hearing some horror stories I will be taking photos upon moving in. I will take no chances, They are a bit snotty tho I find.

Mayjess

Guest cornish Busdriver

Gotta admit the rental company and landlord that we used were great.

Any probs with the house were sorted without any hassle and inspections went with out any probs, even gave them permision to let themselves in if we were working.

Only problem came when on one inspection when the person checking the house didnt know bout the verbal agreement we had with the landlord about having our to dogs inside but that was soon cleared up without any hassle.

Only advice i would give anyone renting over here is when you get the keys and before you move all your stuff in is to check all appliences are in goood working order then go around with a camera and paper to take pics and make notes of any damage, marks, scratches, dust, cobwebs that they rental company might have missed when they inspected it and give a copy to them before you actually move in.

They dont expect the homes to be in tip top showroom condition, just clean and tidy with no new damage.

Have rented for about 10 years, 5 properties, through 5 different agencies. Never had ANY problems at all.

Agents are allowed to come in without you being there for an inspection providing they have given the appropriate notice, and yes they can be picky but they are meant to be, after all they are ensuring the landlords investment is being well cared for. They will check the tops of doors for dust, light switches and walls for fingermarks etc, that's their job! Landlords also have to give notice of entry if they wish to come onto the property. All the rules and regulations are on the OCBA site but you should be given a copy when you sign the initial lease agreement. If not - ask for one!

There is no obligation to a landlord to install things that YOU want ....... you rent the property as is, when you go to the open. Don't expect air con to be installed because you get hot, a spa to be installed because you want one, or a garage door to be put on because there is a just an open car port. If a property you are looking at doesn't meet your needs ......... THEN DON'T RENT IT!

I am constantly amazed at the attitude of 'we are paying the rent therefore we can do whatever we like' ............ NO you can't. The rules and regs are there to protect both the landlords AND the tenants. I admit there are a few bad landlords (usually private leases, not through agencies) but it's no wonder some of them get ****ty when given the demands of some tenants.

Rant over ........................ I feel better for that!

Sharon

Guest marty
Have rented for about 10 years, 5 properties, through 5 different agencies. Never had ANY problems at all.

Agents are allowed to come in without you being there for an inspection providing they have given the appropriate notice, and yes they can be picky but they are meant to be, after all they are ensuring the landlords investment is being well cared for. They will check the tops of doors for dust, light switches and walls for fingermarks etc, that's their job! Landlords also have to give notice of entry if they wish to come onto the property. All the rules and regulations are on the OCBA site but you should be given a copy when you sign the initial lease agreement. If not - ask for one!

There is no obligation to a landlord to install things that YOU want ....... you rent the property as is, when you go to the open. Don't expect air con to be installed because you get hot, a spa to be installed because you want one, or a garage door to be put on because there is a just an open car port. If a property you are looking at doesn't meet your needs ......... THEN DON'T RENT IT!

I am constantly amazed at the attitude of 'we are paying the rent therefore we can do whatever we like' ............ NO you can't. The rules and regs are there to protect both the landlords AND the tenants. I admit there are a few bad landlords (usually private leases, not through agencies) but it's no wonder some of them get ****ty when given the demands of some tenants.

Rant over ........................ I feel better for that!

Sharon

Well said I work in the rental industry and meet migrants from many countries all day everyday, it is the poms who seem want this and want that, sometimes I am ashamed to admit that I'm pom. If the house is not what you want then don't rent it and yes the agent and the tradies can come in at any reasonable time with a key as long as the correct notice is served and the purpose of the visit is detailed on the notice.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest4829

I Own a large letting agency in the Uk but am moving to Gawler in June and will be renting to start off with. I am interested in the various comments on this thread re making sure the house is spotless for a periodic inspection. What difference does it make to anyone whether there is dust or dirty marks - the only time that this should be a consideration should be at the end of the lease. What can the landlord do if you haven't left it clean for the inspection? Obviously my only experience is in the UK but would be interested to hear anyone's comments on this.

Daniel

Guest soggy
I Own a large letting agency in the Uk but am moving to Gawler in June and will be renting to start off with. I am interested in the various comments on this thread re making sure the house is spotless for a periodic inspection. What difference does it make to anyone whether there is dust or dirty marks - the only time that this should be a consideration should be at the end of the lease. What can the landlord do if you haven't left it clean for the inspection? Obviously my only experience is in the UK but would be interested to hear anyone's comments on this.

Daniel

Hi,

if you don't have it spotless for the periodic inspections they may not renew the lease, you may only get one months notice of this, and you may not have a very good reference which would put you at a disadvantage trying to get a new rental.

Simon:D

Daniel

Hi,

if you don't have it spotless for the periodic inspections they may not renew the lease, you may only get one months notice of this, and you may not have a very good reference which would put you at a disadvantage trying to get a new rental.

Seems its another one of those Oz peculiarities. The inspection should be to look for damage, & to see how you are taking general care of the property, not to see if you hoover & dust or put all your magazines in a nice neat pile. At the risk of being called a whinging pom & being told to go home if you don't like it, the way the UK rental market works is far superior to here, but unfortunately you have to live with the stupid way they do things here so there's no point fighting it.

By the way, we keep our rental clean & tidy anyway. Just going to mop the driveway now in case the owner drives past :biglaugh:

Guest guest4829
Hi,

It sounds like there are a shortage of properties in and around Adelaide because in the UK you wouldn't get away with this and it would be the tenant who would say 'stuff you' I'm moving to a property where the Landlord actually wants my business. Well I'm sure I'll find all this very interesting soon - maybe I'll open up a letting agency for poms when I come out, sounds like there would be a good demand!

Daniel

Daniel

My sentiments exactly.It seems nonesense to make tenants feel uncomfortable and paranoid about bits of dust and fingermarks around lightswitches!A bit of common sense is all that is asked.It creates unnecessary ill feeling.:wacko: