Rental References?

Guest picklesmummy

Guest picklesmummy

Hi

I've just been reading that many rental agents will expect you to provide references before you can rent a property in Adelaide. The book I have here seems to imply that these are references from previous landlords etc, but my husband and I have owned and lived in our own home for years now - I did rent a flat whilst I was at university, but that was years ago. Have I got the wrong end of the stick? Or would character references from professional people (i.e. previous employer) count instead? :confused:

Thanks in advance for all of your help, and apologies for all the (probably obvious!) questions - hopefully once we've completed the process I'll be on here offering answers and experience to confused newbies too! :)

Hi

iIwas in the same boat as you. i foudn a unit that i liked and my agent accepted a letter from me stating my personal circumstances and a copy of my bank statement. They liked the fact that i have a professional occupation/skill even though i did not have a job!

don't worry, we all find somewhere to live ....

good luck

Ails

Guest Damien

Hi,

We've just secured our rental here. You need 100 points of ID, ie from drivers license, passport, utility bills, ref from landlord etc. We were the same as you, never rented before, owned our own house. We were unsuccesful on a couple of rentals. As we were renting our house in the UK out we then got our agent to email us a reference and photos of our house. We then had the agent chasing us asking us to apply for rentals.....first one we looked at we got.

Bring as many statements, refernces, photos etc, believe me it helps big time, especially when you are competing against 5 or 6 Aussie families for the same property.

Damo

Guest BenJay
Hi,

We've just secured our rental here. You need 100 points of ID,(...)

Could someone provide more details about this 'points test' you need to pass as a tenant. Maybe there's a web page explaining this?

Guest Ric & Paula

Hi we were like you and like Damien did get the house with referees inc.bank statements and mortgage statements,references from work both in England and Australia helped show good character.We got a reference from the lady we rented the holiday house from to show we had paid deposits and balances etc too.Finally the lady at ANZ wrote a letter confirming our account had been set and wages were regularly paid in,a lot was e-mail referees.Hope that helps...

Could someone provide more details about this 'points test' you need to pass as a tenant. Maybe there's a web page explaining this?

For Ray White they ask for each applicant to achieve a minimum of 100 points

Drivers Licence - 40 points

Your last 4 rent receipts - 50 points

Passport - 30 points

Photo ID other than licence - 30 points

Birth Certificate - 10 points

Copy of Phone/Gas and/or Power accounts each - 10 points

Current Car/motorbike registration papers - 10 points

We didn't get the Ray White property we applied for, and the agent for the one we did get was much more casual and wasn't really interested in all the ID. Hope this helps.