how big is the 'average property' in the uk?

Guest mOZzy

i am certain there are many clever people here who can answer me this question!

i've been surfing for 20 minutes now and i can't find the answer :arghh:

but everyone is talking of the 'average property' - and i really want to know now!

thanks guys :wubclub:

but everyone is talking of the 'average property' - and i really want to know now!

The duncan clan gave a good clue.

In the UK the "average propety" as used in the polls etc is called a two up two down which is semi detached. Its bigger than a spanish quad for example.

However, the norm is leaning to what they started calling back in the 90's as an "Executive Home" meaning a four bed detached with single attached garage.

Poor folks like myself have to make do with a four bed seperate double garage in its own grounds on a private estate (ie that is the norm for your managemnt type of people.) Having said that, my family home in Victoria is a single garage six bedroom, four living, one rumpus room MONSTER. but its single storey.

So my point is, it's hard to visualise the difference.

A bit like the bombers loosing really:)

All

Detached

Flat

Semi

Terraced

ALL PROPERTIES - SORT BY: NAMEAV PRICE (£)QUARTERANNUALSALES

Greater London

£354,5293.9%11.6%35,171

South East

£256,5592.8%8.3%66,220

South West

£225,8103.3%9.7%30,153

Northern Ireland

£215,59040.1%11.9%

N/AEast Anglia

£197,5052.9%8.6%12,837

West Midlands

£173,9414.3%5.7%24,714

East Midlands

£168,1464.2%7.6%23,940

North West

£159,5224.9%8.8%32,353

Wales

£159,1312.5%6.8%13,304

Yorks & Humber

£157,9165.3%7.3%27,144

Scotland

£149,2926.8%14.2%38,371

North

£144,4214.4%4.8%16,629o.gifo.gif

hope this may help found it on t he bbc website

kathx

Guest Guest75

Perhaps use the term "Median house price /value" that should get good result.

:)

i am just relieved to see that i am not the only one 'clue less' :D

it's just funny when you read the newspaper or on tv they keep mentioning '... price for the average house in the uk ... blalba...'

i can't see a 4bed detached being 'an average house' in the uk :err: - i just thought there is a description as to the size and bedrooms and therelike...because all these trends don't tell me anything really if i don't know for what size it's ment to be! well, i guess the trend does as such but not the actual prices they all refer to - does that make sense? lol

but some very good links guys - thanks!!

Guest stufi1997
:err: I dunno Suz, the average price for a semi ex council house 3 beds up here ( not city though) is around the £130 000 bracket. some better than others can go a little either way..........? Stu ':D

Guest Guest75

I must admit that I really don't trust some of the statistics and median house prices quoted.

The median prices and suburb guides/prices are shown in the paper here every few months.

Some stats are totally wrong as there are far too few houses sold in certain suburbs.

Our suburb of Onkaparinga Hills has few sales and the median price varies wildly.

I look for the busier suburbs such as Morphett Vale to give me an idea.

I just had a quick check

http://www.upmystreet.com

Doesn't go by average prices, (once you register) it goes by actual price at the last sale.

Which means, as you have probably already guessed, you can check what price houses are going for in a particular area.

Where I live there are no houses that have less than four bedrooms, so working out an average price is much easier than were there are a mix of residential types.