looking for cheaper than cheap

Guest k8bug79

Guest k8bug79

Hi, there is a small possibility we could be in Adeliade much sooner than anticipated (don't want ot jinx anything) so just in case I am looking at accomodation for arrival. If we do come over one of us will have a job so I am hoping it won't take long to secure a long term rental as we have good references from our current landlord, and having a job etc. But obviously we will need somewhere to crash in the meantime. We will be on a very very very tight budget, we are 2 adults and 3 young chidren. I am looking for cheaper than cheap accomodation. I know its very hard/ impossible to come by but the apartments / houses I see advertised on here are just too much for us. I read the post the other day about staying in a cabin and thought I don't mind roughing it for a bit, all adds to the adventure but even some of the prices on those are rediculous, could hire a proper house for them. Can anyone suggest some real basic cheap accommodation that is safe for children if not luxurious. Obvioulsy there are backpacker hostels but don't think that is the best place for children. I reckon we can stretch to £200- £250 a week.

Am I being totally rediculous?????????

STG250 a week is about $450 a week - you should be able to get a nice place (unfurnished) for around the $350 a week mark, so if you don't mind "camping out" and borrowing things like camp beds, airbeds, beanbags etc, you'll have no trouble. Might be worth booking something furnished (around $500 a week) very short term to start with, just when you arrive for the first couple of weeks, then putting all your energies into finding someething unfurnished, or try contacting a few agents (one guy on here is an agent, can't remember his name though) and seeing if you can sort out something (unfurnished) before you arrive. Don't worry. Shout out on here if you need to borrow anything.

Guest Tina P

Hi,

Email a few caravan sites, if its off peak when you are coming over you may be able to do a deal.

Christies Beach and Aldinga Beach sites look ok, but haven't stayed in either. Also a Big4 site at Marion thats a good location for new arrivals.

Tina

Guest seekingsunshine

Hi Kate

really hope you can find somewhere :)

where are you hoping to settle north or south?

if south, only place i can think of is the motel type rooms in port noarlunga - (they are next to the roundabout , across the road from the fort and sit in a little semi-circle -anyone know what its called?) will find out for you lol!

but anyway they are $350 a week. from what i've heard has a kitchentte , sitting area and queen bed., bathroom.

my friends parents are staying there next week so will try and find out more details...

do you know when you are arriving? may be worth ringing a few caravan places for cabins etc to see if they can do you any special deals -as it is winter here, and very miserable today (rain rain but was nice yesterday so dont worry!) you may get lucky! fingers crossed for you!

its worrying when you have little kids- makes it a lot harder! (i've three -4,4 & 1)

best of luck guys and if it is south you are looking for will find those details for you....

Hi, there is a small possibility we could be in Adeliade much sooner than anticipated (don't want ot jinx anything) so just in case I am looking at accomodation for arrival. If we do come over one of us will have a job so I am hoping it won't take long to secure a long term rental as we have good references from our current landlord, and having a job etc. But obviously we will need somewhere to crash in the meantime. We will be on a very very very tight budget, we are 2 adults and 3 young chidren. I am looking for cheaper than cheap accomodation. I know its very hard/ impossible to come by but the apartments / houses I see advertised on here are just too much for us. I read the post the other day about staying in a cabin and thought I don't mind roughing it for a bit, all adds to the adventure but even some of the prices on those are rediculous, could hire a proper house for them. Can anyone suggest some real basic cheap accommodation that is safe for children if not luxurious. Obvioulsy there are backpacker hostels but don't think that is the best place for children. I reckon we can stretch to £200- £250 a week.

This really depends on whether you aim for short term or longer term and furnished or unfurnished. converting £ to $, the amount you're looking to pay is a very realistic amount for unfurnished long term accommodation (we pay $350pw for a modern three bedroom house on a nice estate, and there is certainly cheaper available without compromising too much).

If you know roughly whereabouts you want to live, I'd suggest you go longer term and unfurnished and borrow furniture until your own belongings arrive. I'm sure there will be no shortage of kettles, camp beds, chairs etc available for loan from people on here!

Jim

Guest Trakki

For the short term try Woodcroft caravan site, we were going to stay there but didn't in the end, the lady was very helpful. Just email her, she was quick to reply.

Woodcroft Park Caravan Park

Also look on www.realestate.com.au that will give you an idea of rental prices, they can be anything from $250 a week up depending on where you go. Aldinga is lovely and you can get lower prced rentals there but further totravel to the city. Depends on whereyou will be working really

HTH

Guest WhatNow?

You could try a PM to Donna Jacobs username 'jarnasa' on here as she manages a portfolio of affordable fully furnished properties around Adelaide and has helped loads of migrants from the UK.

Guest k8bug79

THanks for your replies I wil make a note of some of those places and check it out should I need it. No idea on time yet. I have applied for a job and I am the sort of person who needs to plan as if they have got the job etc as can't stand the stress of just leave it to chance. If I got the job then it depends on the speed of visa processing but as I am spouse hopefully shouldn't be too long. No idea where we would settle. Think near the beaches and we do like the look of Aldinga. But we have some family friends north and whilst we don't know them very well may be nice to have someone to call on in emergencies.

I will find out soon if I have an interview and then i can start stressing some more.

I would quite happily take a bed in a shed if it were just me and hubby

Guest cornish Busdriver

Up around Looe , Liskeard and Saltash area's.

Used to drive for Greyhound so didnt really get around your area much apart from when we came down to the Parrot place.

What ya planning to do over here ??

Guest k8bug79

Grey hound now doing routes our way, taken over most Helston routes from First. We go to said Parrot place quite a lot (although still quite a way from us)

Original plan was June next year but were prepared that this could move back a bit, but I am applying fo rjobs and if one comes off then who knows, its down to Ah and visa applications.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Well best of luck and hope to see you over here.

Its a lot like Kernow with amazing beaches, our Cornish layed back lifestyle and there a big Cornish festival each year as well lol lol lol.

They cant make a decent pasty here and ya cant get Spingo, knocker or real flat cider here either and thats the main thing missus misses bout home.

Guest k8bug79
Well best of luck and hope to see you over here.

Its a lot like Kernow with amazing beaches, our Cornish layed back lifestyle and there a big Cornish festival each year as well lol lol lol.

They cant make a decent pasty here and ya cant get Spingo, knocker or real flat cider here either and thats the main thing missus misses bout home.

Thanks and good as that is why we are moving. I want to carry on my career in theatre and events but can't here without moving back to London. We want to keep the lifestyle but have more opportunities. So sounds like we are heading the right way.

Shame re the pasty but I'll make my own. Never tried Spingo, have led a sheltered life. Maybe will make an effort to do that before we leave. (Don't drink beer tho)

Loving the sound of the Cornish festival

Guest k8bug79
We had our honeymoon (back in 1988!) down that way - Helford Passage I think (long time ago!!) Is the Port Navas Yacht Club still around?

Ah I love the Helford what a lovely place to honeymoon. I hope te weather was kind to you. I have been through POrt Navas , my dream house is there (and came up for sale) but so extortionatly expensive over there unless I get alottery win (jackpot only would be enough!!) then I won't be moving that way. I don't recall the yacht club however it is such a rich area I can't imagine it going.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Lostwithiel is prononced Lostyawhistle just like Lanceston is prononced Lansan only emmits call them by the written names lol lol lol.

Guest k8bug79
Lostwithiel is prononced Lostyawhistle just like Lanceston is prononced Lansan only emmits call them by the written names lol lol lol.

Lol never heard those two. Sn ozzle is about as far north as I go.

Guest nurse sue
I reckon we can stretch to £200- £250 a week.

did you mean $200-$250 or £200-£250?

if you meant £ then you should get something for that much even at todays poor exchange rate ... if you meant $$ then you will still be able to get a decent unit or flat; when we came over a few years ago for aholiday we just booked a unit through remax (did it all by cc and over the phone) for 2 weeks - the unit was waaaay bigger than our house, even though it was described as 'a small family unit' :)

good luck :wubclub:

Guest timstoolbox

Aldinga's beaches are nice but can be problematic of working in city and travelling at night, it's just that little bit too far. Make sure you are looking at current photos too as it's become very built out (by our standards) in recent years.

Lived there for some years but wouldn't again due to my work situation. I'm about 15 mins closer to town and love it here!

Hope that helps.

TV